General Fiction posted August 15, 2019 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Bea and the other two head out to find the mist creature

A chapter in the book Be Wee With Bea Part2

A Sticky Situation

by Liz O'Neill



Background
Bea, Scruffles, and Sweet Puppy have met and made plans to discover just what or who the mist creature is.
Scruffles wanted to slither silently through the tall grass, hoping not to meet up with any other green or brown wriggling friends. They might startle him and he would yowl and sabotage the whole exciting endeavor. But worse would be if Sweet Puppy barked.

This was covered very specifically during their orientation for the mission. Bea was very aware of what could go awry in this declared stealth activity. As far as the creature was concerned, she had no notion with whom or what they were dealing. She did, very well know who would be accompanying her to accomplish this objective.

There were only a few exceptions to Sweet Puppy's rambunctious poor focusing. One was when she smelled food. The other was, if a chipmunk or squirrel were scampering around, she would be devoted to tracking them. This would especially be true if they were anywhere within her vicinity.

Bea wondered what Sweet Puppy would do if she actually came face to face with a chipmunk or squirrel who wouldn't back down. That cute pointy-eared dog would want to play with them. If she met with resistance or any stance of aggression, she'd do an about-face and high-tail it home. She might sluff off with her tail between her legs feeling safe only as she ducked into their cave.

Scruffles preferred basking in the sun nestled by fresh-smelling green grass and posies. His favorite game was to dive, feet completely leaving the ground. An unsuspecting giant green grasshopper or a chirping cricket would be dangerously flicked at. Spared this time, they would caper from blade to blade of grass, just a little more alert.

Bea felt certain she'd been thorough enough about possible situations that might arise. She was prepared for just about anything. But we've been following Bea in her strolling exercises enough to know there is always a surprise at the other end. Some happy and some not-so-happy outcomes.

It was the latter. Things went very wrong. What a disappointing disaster. Neither knew what the other was going through because they were silently screaming. Remember, this was a hushed search for the creature. Even sputtering and growling and yowling had to be muffled. The entire effort came to an abrupt halt.

The only notice exercise Bea was able to do was see what a mess her entire body had become. She realized she would need the others' assistance. As she looked around, her dread took over. They were dealing with the same annoying, paralyzing situation. Scruffles was powerless to move with his two front legs, which were fastened to each other. He was incapable of snapping his tail in agitation because that was anchored to his back. His whiskers each supported at least one burdock.

Instead of the 50 bees, it was just words buzzing in everyone's head. Burdocks. Burdocks here. Burdocks there. Burdocks everywhere in their hair. Sweet Puppy's muzzle was a mess. Bearly able to open her mouth, she was worried her teeth would never find their way to a delectable chicken leg again.

Bea was unable to raise her arms. paws and claws to get the team's attention to wave them in her direction. If they could laboriously inch toward her, she would motion to them to head back to their cave home. They could be seen, stuck to each other, downheartedly hobbling away from the sunrise and mist.







I would like to acknowledge jgrace for setting the mood with their picture.
This is the 2nd book in the series Be Wee With Bea. Book One is available on Amazon and similar venues and on my webpage, www.beweewithbea.com ...I also have a fb page called be wee with bea. I'd love to have you check it out. You are invited to visit my portfolio on this FanStory site to catch up or sample other chapters.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.