General Poetry posted August 6, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Haiku poem...

Ocean Siren

by Diana L Crawford


Great Barrier Reef

coral deteriorates

harmed by rising temp

 



Write a Nature 5-7-5 writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a Nature Haiku


Picture: "Ocean Siren", borrowed from CNN - no copyright infringement intended


THIS GENIUS GREAT BARRIER REEF SCULPTURE CHANGES COLORS FOR A CHILLING REASON!

In the latest installation from artist Jason deCaires Taylor, a sculptor known for his underwater museums that span the globe, art and science collide in a piece that is designed to convey scientific data in a raw, visceral, and emotive way. Ocean Siren, due to be unveiled within Australia's Great Barrier Reef in December, is a water-based, solar-powered sculpture of a young indigenous girl issuing a warning about rising sea temperatures. Connected to temperature sensors affixed throughout the Great Barrier Reef, the sculpture will be able to change color based on live sea temperature data streaming in.

The Australian Institute of Marine Science has a series of temperature loggers around the reef. It will compile this data and feed it into the sculpture, so that changes in temperature will be seen in real time.

Ocean Siren will be part of a larger project for deCaires Taylor in the Great Barrier Reef that will include the first sculptures ever to be placed within the world-famous reef system. For phase two of the museum, the artist is building a submerged 40-foot-tall skeletal greenhouse designed to facilitate underwater plant growth. The contemporary structure will be surrounded by sea-scaping, a series of coral nurseries, and underwater trees that will encourage coral reef rehabilitation in the already threatened Barrier Reef system. (Scientists estimate that at least half of the coral within the reef has died, largely due to coral bleaching caused by increased sea temperatures.)

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Diana L Crawford All rights reserved.
Diana L Crawford has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.