General Fiction posted August 2, 2019 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Bringing C.C. Connor up to date

A chapter in the book Assassin Nation

Flashback Annie Connor

by Bill Schott


In order to move forward, I will need to go back a bit and quickly fill in some background to clarify the thrust of the core story line.

Annie Connor was a war widow with two newborn infants at the close of the Korean Conflict. Her children were still unnamed; born in a secluded hospital in Northern California. Her husband had worked as a geneticist for an Asian research company that had established a laboratory in the United States. Delivery had always been planned to happen here, but the situation after the birth had never been shared with her.

Commissioned and deployed to South Korea, 2d Lt. Robert Connor almost immediately went missing in action and was included in the 416 sets of remains never identified, of the over four thousand returned after the war.  His records had been strategically lost and forgotten.

As she lay in recovery, an IV in her arm, a man in hospital scrubs entered the gray, otherwise empty, fifteen square foot room.

"Good morning, Mrs. Connor. I am Dr. Wu."

"Them babies all right?"

"Both in excellent health."

"I ain't got the means to care fer 'em. My Bob and I wasn't married too long before I was going to be a mother."

"You were actually artificially inseminated a few weeks prior to your marriage. We did this while you were kept sleeping one evening at Robert Connor's apartment."

"Artificial what?" The woman tilted her head to one side. The doctor made a half smile and continued.

"It is a procedure where we injected semen into your cervix. In this instance you produced two eggs which were both fertilized."

Annie was on the verge of fainting as the doctor gave his emotionless explanation.

"Joe and me, well, we already had been, uh, love-makin'."

"Yes, and there was a fertilized egg present. It was eliminated."

Blood drained from her face and she felt a knot tighten in her stomach.

"We introduced genetically enhanced semen into your womb. This is the stuff of miracles and pulp fiction. You carried and delivered what are the genesis of the future population of the Earth."

"My -- babies," she mumbled.

"Yes. I have named them Cubic Centimeter and Milliliter. C.C. and Millie."

"Wha-?" Annie's vision was blurring.

"Oh good. The relaxing agent in your saline has finally come through. You will soon feel no pain at all."

"My babies--"

"Yes. Millie and C.C. Connor."

The doctor watched as the woman grew limp and ceased breathing.











 



Recognized


In the 1940s and early 1950s, experiments pointed to DNA as the portion of chromosomes (and perhaps other nucleoproteins) that held genes. A focus on new model organisms such as viruses and bacteria, along with the discovery of the double helical structure of DNA in 1953, marked the transition to the era of molecular genetics. Wikipedia.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.