General Fiction posted July 28, 2019 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Mitch wants McKenzie undercover for a poker game..

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 10 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
Just a note, Please remember Logan and McKenzie only met four days ago. This is the same day as last weeks post.


Ending of Previous Post:


"That's when Mack left the police force and became a P.I." Bill checked the brisket. "As if that's not enough, Mac has more reasons to dislike alcohol. After the senior prom ended, her best friend, Nancy, and boyfriend, Louis, attended a party. Louis got drunk and attempted to drive Nancy home. He ran a red light, got in a car accident, and Nancy died at the scene. Louis survived."

"Enough said. I understand and won't drink around Mac again." Logan paused. "I hope that's the end of the stories."

"Mostly. Mac has a few little ones here and there, concerning boyfriends." Bill glanced toward the patio door. "What are we going to do to protect her?"

Logan ran his hand through his hair. "I don't know. It's not easy helping when she doesn't want it."

TODAY'S POST:

In the kitchen, McKenzie stood beside and watched Joanie as she cut up cabbage and carrots for coleslaw. "Is there anything that's good and easy to make?"

Joanie tilted her head. "That's a strange question coming from you. You've never shown an interest in cooking."

"My specialty is microwaveable TV dinners. For a change, I make mac-n-cheese and hot dogs. I guess that doesn't count as a healthy meal."

Glancing toward the patio door, Joanie smiled. "He's awfully handsome."

"I hadn't noticed." McKenzie avoided eye contact. "He likes to make and eat homemade meals."

"I see."

"I'm tired of doing dishes."

Joanie laughed. "Let me think about your problem. I'm sure I can come up with some easy-to-fix meals."

McKenzie put her finger to her lips as she heard the men coming toward the kitchen.

Bill's voice was heard, "Joanie, the brisket has maybe another thirty minutes. How you coming?"

She faced her husband. "I'm right on schedule. Potato salad done, coleslaw will be done immediately, baked beans in oven, and Mac's favorite dessert, done."

"Is Mac's favorite dessert by chance donuts?" asked Logan.

Joanie grinned. "If it is, I didn't know it. I thought..."

"No silly, donuts are a breakfast food," interrupted McKenzie.

"I see this is something between you two." Joanie's eyes widened. "Should I tell him what your favorite dessert is or let him suffer?"

Bill patted Logan's shoulder. "Come with me. You won't win with these two. Her favorite dessert is brownies topped with ice cream and chocolate syrup."

"I'm not surprised. Absolutely nothing healthy in that."

After the men headed outside, Joanie waited until they couldn't hear before she asked, "Is there anything romantic starting between you and Logan?"

"Of course not. We argue all the time." McKenzie chewed on her lower lip. "Really we do."

"I'm sure you do."

"He's bossy and likes to take charge. Besides, he refuses to see the healthy benefits of donuts for breakfast."

Joanie turned toward the front door as the bell sounded. "I wonder who that could be. We weren't expecting anybody." After she looked through the peephole, she opened it. "Mitch, I haven't seen you for a while. What can I do for you?"

He leaned over and kissed Joanie's cheek. "Work's been keeping me busy. You're right; it's been way too long. I hope everything's been treating you good." He scanned the room. "I need to speak with Bill, is he home?"

"He's out back." She led him through the kitchen. "You remember McKenzie Morgan, Mack's daughter?"

"Sure do. I'm glad you're here. You're the reason I need to speak with Bill." Mitch kissed her cheek. "I haven't seen you since your dad left the police force. How you doing?"

"Good, sir. I'll show you outside." McKenzie opened the patio door. "Bill, Mitch Gardner's here to speak with you, I guess with us." She glanced at him.

After greetings were completed and the introduction of Logan made, everybody sat.

"I guess I need to start." Mitch hung his head. "I came to ask Bill if he'd speak with you." His eyes met McKenzie's. "I know from when I partnered with your dad, that you played a pretty mean game of poker. I'm hoping you still do."

"I do. About once a month some old friends of Dad's and I get together and play a few hands. I've been known to still win a few hands. I'm surprised you haven't joined us. Why you asking?"

"She's usually the big winner," interrupted Bill.

Logan shook his head. "Is there anything you don't do?"

"Cook." McKenzie grinned.

Bill laughed. "That she doesn't do." He checked on the brisket, before he sat. "Why are you interested if Mac still plays poker?"




Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


My vacation was cut short when my youngest son, Steven, called and asked us to come home. He's 26 years old and started having some cardiac issues. We're still waiting for some tests. I would appreciate prayers and well wishes. Thank you.

My novel 'Texas Dream Catcher' , if everything works out right, should be published in August. The title has changed to either 'Under Siege on the Rockin' A or 'Siege of the Rockin' A' I can't make up my mind. Please let me know what you think. I value your opinion.

Please remember that I write romance with a back story. I think the back story sometimes confuses people about exactly what the genre is.

Thank you google images for a photo of poker game. Again, I added to the story as I posts. I felt some areas needed clarity. I hope I didn't make it worse.

Again, thank you for your wonderful support.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.