Supernatural Fiction posted July 21, 2019 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE IMMORTAL

Full Moon

by scongrove


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Thank you for reading a chapter into my Novels of the Breedline. It is still in the working stages, so if you catch any mistakes, please let me know. Enjoy!
Previously . . .

After an age-old creature—buried deep in the ground—rises from years of peaceful slumber to feast on humans, it attacks Jena McCain—a young artist who has the ability to speak with the dead—and infects her with the Rougarou curse. As the virus spreads through her body, Jena must resist her newly found urges for human blood for one hundred and one days. If she succumbs to the blood lust, she will be become the thing that has cursed her.    

Now that the creature is hunting humans, and infected an innocent young girl, God tasks Lailah—a battle angel gifted with the power of holy fire—with an important mission. She must take the Fury and Sebastian back to earth for the sole purpose of destroying this savage creature.  

Desperate to find the red-headed angel, Roman confides in his closest friend Lawrence. After Roman explains to his friend about bonding with the angel, Lawrence tells him about his sister’s secret and how she could help locate the angel.


When Lawrence takes Roman to speak with his sister, Melanie—who was a guardian angel in her past life—she discovers the angel Roman is searching for is in love with him as well. But to her surprise, Melanie shockingly finds out there is a creature killing humans, and the battle angels are coming back to earth to try to destroy it, bringing with them the Fury and Sebastian. As she explains this to Roman and Lawrence, she also tells them about the human that’s been bitten and cursed by the creature. 
 
   

Continued . . .

As the creature materialized a mile from the Breedline Covenant, hidden among acres of trees and undergrowth, he noticed a solitary light in a corner window, upstairs at the front of an old Victorian, two-story house. Pine trees hid the lower half of the place, but the second floor glowed from the glorious rays of the moonlight, drawing him onward.

His clawed feet clicked as he quickly ducked underneath the house’s wooden, rickety porch and stood sniffing the air. The smell of a human nearby was almost too overwhelming to bear. That scent released the hunger within him, and drove him on. Every muscle in his body wanted to rip the human limb from limb. He had to grit his teeth to keep from tearing down the door to get at what he craved. He briefly lowered his lids, calming the fury inside as a low growl rumbled deep in his chest.  

Slowly, he reached for the door and found that it was unlocked. With his clawed hand, he turned the knob and edged the door open. He lowered his head to keep from brushing along the top of the entrance, and crept inside like a wild animal stalking its prey.    
        
Meanwhile, upstairs, and unaware of what was transpiring below, Cobi settled back into his pillow with a sigh. The night seemed especially weird, he thought. The way the moon looked at him through the bedroom window and the wind blew the pines outside, making the two-story house creak.

Before he called it a night, he decided to relax in bed and enjoy a good mystery novel or, even better, a scary ghost story.

As Cobi opened the book, he heard an eerie scratching sound. He quickly sat up in bed and listened. The noise was coming from the window. He let out a sigh of relief when he realized it was only a twig tapping on the pane. Easing back into his pillow, he focused on the novel in his hand and turned to the first page.

It was late, nearly two o’clock in the morning, but he managed to get to the third chapter. Despite the large quantities of caffeine, he could feel himself getting drowsy. His eyelids felt heavy and the room had gotten darker, as though the lights had magically turned themselves down. With a halfhearted effort, Cobi forced his eyelids to stay open while he stared sleepily out the window.

The moon illuminated the dark sky, glimmering softly into the window. Closing his eyes, he let the book rest on his chest as he drifted off to sleep.

In the dark shadows of the open doorway, stood the creature, his cunning eyes shifting rapidly around the room. The moonlight coming through the bedroom window struck the glowing orbs of his yellow eyes. He was beyond furious. After the painful confrontation with the Angel Raphael, he couldn’t wait to unleash his fury on the foolish human—who was oblivious to his presence—lying just a few feet away.     

The floor creaked as the creature moved forward, waking Cobi from his slumber. His head bolted up. He peeked over the foot of the bed and saw nothing but the moon shining through the window. How strange, he thought as he rubbed his eyes. Then his attention went to the sound of heavy breathing. As Cobi turned to look, he instantly wished he hadn’t. 

“Oh god . . .”

His mouth rounded in sheer terror as he stared into a pair of glowing eyes that peered out through wiry thick, black hair. Cobi watched in disbelief as a huge hulking monster, the embodiment of evil, stalked closer and stood over his bed. It was hideous. It had some features of a man, but more elongated like an animal, resembling the creature in the original 1941 American horror film “The Wolf Man.” With high-pointed ears atop its huge head, its black leathery lips formed a ghoulish grimace, revealing sharp pointed canines and a deep gargling growl breaking from its throat.  
  
Before he could move, the beast’s claws reached out and caught him by the arm, lifting him up into the full glare of the moonlight. 

“P-please,” Cobi stammered, his feet dangling off the floor.

At the same time Cobi squeezed his lids tight, praying with his eyes shut, the monster opened its jaws, preparing to sink his fangs into the human’s flesh. As he moved in for the kill, a dark and sinister voice came from behind that froze him in his tracks.

“Put the human down.”

The wolf-man dropped Cobi and spun around on the balls of his feet, heels high, knees positioned into an attack stance.

On his hands and knees, Cobi scrambled to a small corner of the room. With his heart in his throat, he merely watched as something immense and deadly stepped out of the shadows, reeking of pure evil, one utterly devoid of humanity. It slightly looked like the devil in the American dark fantasy film, “Legend,” except this creature’s body wasn’t red, and it didn’t have horns atop its head. Although, the size of the thing was enormous. It towered at least seven-feet-tall, bigger than the wolf-man that was about to devour him, with sharp protruding teeth and glowing eyes. Dark fur partly covered his skin, and it had leathery, bat-like wings that made the hair on his neck stand. While Cobi took this in, he swallowed nervously, wondering if this creature was friend or foe. 

A pink tongue flashed behind the wolf-man’s white teeth as he flexed his powerful thighs. “Who dares to interfere with my meal?” His voice was grotesque, the cultured, southern drawl coming from such a bestial face.

The bat-like creature took a step forward, and to his surprise, the wolf-man reflexively stepped back. “My name is Apollyon.” His voice went on with a maddening restraint. “We are here to send you back to hell.”  

“We?” asked the wolf-man.

Again, Apollyon advanced, but this time, the wolf-man stood firm, narrowing his eyes in an aggressive warning.

A female with long red hair, and feathery black wings ducked under the doorway. When she stepped inside, she could barely fit into the room. The winged, red headed angel towered above Apollyon. With resentment in her eyes, she glared at the wolfish creature.

The wolf-man’s eyes rounded in astonishment. Then, a giant black-winged male with blonde spiked hair moved next to the female. He crossed his arms over his chest and curled his top lip as though he was daring the wolf-man to make a move. 
  
Before he could process the trio, two more females came up behind Apollyon and stood on the opposite side of him. They did not have wings, but one of them had a muscular physique, and her eyes sparkled like diamonds. The other one was feminine. Her beauty was almost hypnotizing. Both women appeared connected to the creature that called himself Apollyon. Closing in behind them was a pace-faced tall, lean muscular male with long black hair. His golden eyes narrowed with pure hatred.  

What a dreadful spectacle this must make for the human huddled in the corner, the red headed angel thought as she glanced his way. A room full of supernatural beings sparring with ghastly words surely was terrifying for him to witness. 

When she pressed closer, the wolf-man kept his feet firmly planted in place. His thighs flexed, and his hands formed into tight fists.

“Remember me?” the winged female asked. Her tone was bitter. “I’m the innocent, young girl you murdered over forty years ago.”  

“Lailah,” the wolfish creature said through gritted teeth.

“I’m surprised you remember my name,” she replied.  

“Oh, believe me. I could never forget you.” He gave her a look filled with self-satisfaction. “Your beauty made the kill all the more challenging.”

Apollyon said nothing. It was now, he thought, now that they should strike.

The wolf-man spoke again. “Don’t think that makes you special though,” he said, baring his teeth as if in an ugly smile. “Had I chosen you for my mate, you would have been magnificent, the most breathtaking of my kind, but I did not choose you.” His voice was angry, but steady. “You were not worthy to be at my side.” 

“That’s enough,” Lailah said impatiently. “It’s time for you to pay for your sins. And now you will die for them.” She leaned in and cocked a brow. “But first, do tell me. Were all those innocent lives you took worth it?” 

This infuriated the wolf-man. “You think you have the power to destroy me?” he said with a spiteful cackle. “I’ve been around for centuries. None of you has a clue. But you will find out soon.” 

A low rolling growl escaped Apollyon. “We’re done talking!” he roared. 

The wolf-man lowered his head and held his hands up in fury. “What are you waiting for devil man?” A gnashing mocking sound came out of him, fully as forceful as his words. “Bring your worst!”

Cowered in the corner, Cobi tucked his knees into his chest and covered his ears.

Apollyon looked to the female with overwhelming beauty and muttered, “Cover me, Callisto.”

She nodded in silent understanding.

In a snarling outrage, he rushed at the wolf-man, claws out, and lunged for its throat.  
        
Before he made contact, the wolf-man kicked at Apollyon with such a powerful force, it drove him back and slammed him into the wall.

The wind went out of Apollyon, realizing his sister’s protective shield was useless up against the beast. Instantly, he recovered and sprang at the wolf-man, his powerful thighs catapulting him forward. Using his fierce claws, he slashed wildly at the evil beast, gashing open his thick hide.

The wolf-man bellowed, then lunged at Apollyon and drove his fangs deep into his shoulder. Apollyon felt the wetness of the blood as it gushed from his flesh. 

I refuse to let it overpower me, Apollyon thought feverishly as the wolfish beast tore at him with fits of rage.    
  
In a savage frenzy, Apollyon broke loose of him, and this time he kicked at the beast as it had kicked him, landing a blow at his lower gut, with tremendous force.

As the furious beast doubled over, Apollyon yanked by the hair of the wolf-man's mane and hurled him backwards. He cursed in anger as his head struck the wall.

Faster than their eyes could perceive, the wolf-man rose up and charged forward. In a heated fury, he pummeled Apollyon with his monstrous paw. The thundering blow sent him sailing across the room. Apollyon crashed against the paneling, and crumpled to the floor, his gaping mouth full of blood.   
          
Using a portal, Sebastian vanished in thin air. When he reappeared, he stood behind the wolf-man with a silver wire in his grasp. In one swift motion, he wrapped it around the beast’s throat and pulled with all his strength. Unexpectedly, the monstrous creature disappeared, leaving nothing but a puff of smoke in his place.

“What the—” Sebastian muttered, spinning in circles, his eyes searching for the creature. 

Apollyon rose to his feet and gritted his blood stained teeth. He had never seen anything move that fast. One second the wolf-man simply vanished; the next, he reappeared behind Sebastian. With unbelievable speed, the wolf-man put Sebastian in a blistering chokehold and hauled him into the shadows.

It seemed as though the darkness swallowed them. As Sebastian struggled to breathe, the wolf-man spoke in a deep, accented growl, “You should have stayed out of my way, half-breed.” He narrowed his eyes at the others, and raised his voice, “You all should have stayed out of my way!” 

Sebastian clawed at the iron hold, and gagged, desperate for air. The massive arm locked around his throat was squeezing the life right out of him.

A minute later Sebastian stopped resisting altogether, his arms dropping and hanging loose. He wanted to fight, but no longer had the strength. If this was his death, he was okay with it. It was better and quicker than ending up back in Lucifer’s possession, reliving his tortured past. He was willing to die to save his soul.

With his last bit of strength, Sebastian tried to speak.

The wolf-man loosened his grip and leaned in to listen.

“Go to hell,” Sebastian gasped.

Then, an authoritative voice called out, “Let him go!”

As the wolf-man lifted his chin and looked ahead, Electra’s diamond eyes brightened with such intensity, it blinded him for a moment. He instantly removed his arm from Sebastian’s throat to shield his eyes. Sebastian fell to his knees, and what little breath he’d been able to steal got kicked out of his lungs in a rush.  
       
In the short time he took to look away, Electra knew that she had not a second to spare and reached for her silver whip. She used her cunning skills and whirled it at the evil beast with lightning speed. When it struck his chest, a bolt of electricity burned his skin like red-hot coal, paring his flesh to the bone. He clenched his teeth to keep from howling out. He’d be damned if he gave them the satisfaction of seeing him cry out like a whipped dog. Before he could recover, Electra stuck him again. He dropped to his knees as steam rose from his scalded hide. Then his glowing gaze lifted up and searched his enemies around him. Before he could react, Lailah extended her fiery wings and trapped the wolf-man with a circle of flames.

In his weakened, but not defeated state, he used the strength within him and took on the form of a vapor-like fog. As the mysterious phantom suspended into the air, it slipped through the vents, and escaped his adversaries below.

Once he fed and gained his strength, he would prove more powerful than any opposing force that challenged him. And this time, nothing would stop him.  
 
To be continued . . .             
 
 
 

 



Book of the Month contest entry


NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline only get their wolf if they are born with an identical twin. Although they live among humans, their species is secret.
In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing that can kill a Breedline.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins are so strong, they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When two Breedlines experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. They bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs their laws and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. She rules over all the Breedline Covenants where she makes all the final decisions. This is their absolute True Law.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have an ancient book of laws. If disobeyed, they must face the possibility of being shunned, and no longer protected by their Covenant. If a Breedline takes another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will never have the ability to shift back into human form.

ROGUE WOLF - A Breedline shunned by their Covenant for taking another life out of revenge or evil and forced to live as a wolf until death without the ability to change into human form again. Some rogue wolves form into packs, which can be dangerous for other Breedline species.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil. Hired as a bodyguard for Valkin Steele - a billionaire funding a group of unethical scientist's research - he later learns of Steele's underground sex-trafficking and illegal drug and weapons trade, and informs the Breedline Covenant. He also forms a team of Breedline soldiers who work for a private Special Ops group contracted by the military for missions that no one else can or will do to help put an end to Valkin Steele's corrupt organization.

Lawrence Colbert - A Breedline council member of the New Jersey Covenant, trained in military tactics and as a medic who worked alongside Roman Kincaid, the Special Ops Team, and the Breedline Covenant to help take down Valkin Steele.

Sebastian Crow - He is a half-breed, and Eve's bonded mate. He has the power to summons a portal. After his half-brother Jace kills him in self- defense, it released his soul into purgatory while the Chiang-Shih demon possesses his body when the Angel of Mercy cast him from Alexander's body. As he tried to portray Sebastian's life, Eve finally figures out his secret. Keeping her captive only to survive on her blood, he later develops feelings for her. The demon creates a death army, determined to dominate the world and unleash his wrath among humans and the Breedline. Now free from the demon, he is determined to reunite with his beloved Eve while she awaits her trial for the past crimes the Breedline Covenant. When Sebastian begs God for a second chance, the darkness within him is set free. After he turns himself in to the Breedline and accepts his punishment, Lucifer threatens to torture Sebastian with the horrible memories of his childhood past, reliving each dreadful day, unless he hands over his son Arius.

The Fury - Three fraternal twins created by an evil German scientist named Dr. Hans Autenburg. Using his own DNA, he mixed it with the genetics of a Breedline, an Adalwolf, and a powerful Wiccan. After he kidnapped Sonya Hothburn for her genetics of a full-blooded succubus, he forced her into surrogacy. When the children were born, he forbid Sonya to see her children.
Their purpose was to destroy the Breedline species and dominate the human world. The first-born Apollyon, meaning 'destroyer' in Greek grew up with the strength of ten men, and possessed the power to dematerialize, taking others with him, from one place to another. He can transform into a creature that resembles an Adalwolf, and a vampire-like hybrid. The second born, Callisto, meaning 'most beautiful,' developed the power to form a shield, protecting herself and others from harm. Electra, meaning 'the shining one' was last to be born. She has the power to conduct electricity from her body, using it as a weapon. Inheriting their species instinct and extraordinary power, their thirst to kill became uncontrollable. As they grew up, the Fury became more and more unstable and unruly. With an insatiable hunger for human flesh and unmanageable powers, they became a hindrance to the physician. He had no other choice but to drug and imprison them for all time, each one placed inside a sarcophagus in a state of deep slumber, until their mother discovered their whereabouts and set them free.

Lailah - She is a battle angel gifted with holy fire used to trap or immobilize demons and other evil supernatural beings, rather than killing them outright. Forty-one years ago, in her human life at age seventeen, she was savagely murdered. Although her killer got away with the crime, her younger brother, Detective Manuel Sanchez promises to dedicate his life trying to solve the murder.

Frigg - He is one of God's originals, serving as a battle angel for more than a century. With a personality bigger than life, a bit of an attitude, and a love for rock-n-roll, cheeseburgers, and classic black-and-white movies, he oddly resembles the singer Billy Idol of the 80's punk rock band - sporting the same trademark bleached spiked hair and English accent. He has the unique power of shapeshifting. He can transform and reshape himself into any living thing.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.