Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 21, 2019 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Julie attemps to escape. Jeff is out for revenge.

A chapter in the book Debt Collector

Fight for Freedom

by Mistydawn


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.


Summary
Jeff is told he can either help Bruno Bambini with his shady business or watch his family die a slow, painful death. How far will Jeff go to save the ones he loves?
Jeff has stolen a car and has been chased by the cops. He escapes from that only to be sent to another job. Jeff hears sirens in the middle of his illegal adventure. Setting the building on fire, he flees from the scene. Julie discovers an intruder in their house, which she manages to handle. Putting the pieces together, the Berryville PD are in pursuit of their suspect. Jeff was arrested and let go. He meets a mugger on the way home. After scaring off the mugger, Jeff turns towards Luigi, gun in hand. He decides to get the girls to safety before attempting such a move. Jeff is taken back to Bambini's where he's told about his final job, taking Bambini's rival hostage. The rival, his friend and little girl die in the shootout.  Abby is trying to help Julie escape when their kidnapper storms down the steps.
***



The three detectives pull up to find the Eureka Springs officers' busily processing their scene.
The day is becoming darker by the second as heavy rain clouds quickly move in.

The Sergeant first notices a chalked outline of a body at the edge of the freshly cut lawn. He then sees a large puddle of blood a few feet from the sandbox; spent shell casings lay off to the side. A trail of liquid mass leads from it to a second outline a few feet from the home.

"You wanted to see us, captain?" Joe asks as he and his team approach him.

"I believe the shooter is your man." He hands the sergeant a sketch.

Joe takes a look, nods and then hands it to his detectives. "What happened?"

"Our three witnesses claim they saw a white male, approximately 6'4 with sandy blond hair shoot the two victims and then speed away in a blue coupe."

"When did it occur?"

The captain glances at his watch. "Approximately an hour ago."

"What's the victims' names?"

"They are Antonio and Manuel Rodriguez."

"Don't narcotics have them on their radar, boss?" Jerry questions, scratching his head. A habit he's picked up from Joe. The captain says it's a sign that they've been together too long.

"They believe the brothers smuggle drugs in from Mexico. They just haven't been able to prove it yet."

"Well, their suspicions were correct. My officers found ten kilos of cocaine when they searched the house."

"Did the witnesses say anything else?"

"I believe it'll be easier if I read you their report." Taking a worn clipboard from his officer, the captain flips it open. Clearing his throat he begins. "The witness ran to their windows when the shooting began. She said she saw the killer holding Antonio's four-years-old, daughter in his arms, a gun pointed at her head. The men exchange a few choice words; the perp shoots the two men and leaves."

"What about the little girl?" Jerry fearfully questions.

"We found her in her daddy's arms."

"She's alright, though, right?" He gulps, hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

"I'm sorry, detective but she took a single bullet to the chest. Our ME believes it came from her daddy's gun." Seeing the look on Jerry's face, he quickly adds. "The ME said the child's death was instantaneous, that she didn't suffer."

"Thank god for that," Joe says.

"A stray bullet takes another innocent life." Jerry tearfully glances towards the ground. His wife and daughter were killed in a drive-by ten years ago. Jerry joined the police academy soon after claiming he wanted to prevent others from experiencing such a horrific event.

"I believe Bambini has a part in all of it." Rachel pipes in.

"I wouldn't doubt it."

"Now, all we have to do is find Jeff and enough evidence to nail them," Jerry adds.

They start to walk away when they hear an officer call. "Captain, Sergeant, sir, I think you need to see this." He motions them over.

"What is it, son?" the captain questions as he continues across the yard.

"I found evidence that'll tie Bambini to the murders."

***

Julie and Abby cuddle closely together on the hide-a-bed in the basement. Fear surges through every ounce of their being as Steven continues down the steps.

"I hope you're ready for another round." He rubs the large bulge in his pants and smiles.

"Please, leave us alone, please," Julie begs, laying her head on top of her child's.

"Don't worry, you'll get your brat back, once I'm finished with you." He reaches for her daughter.

Abby lifts her legs and pushes him as hard as she can. He stumbles backward, landing on the bottom step. Julie reaches over and cuts through her restraint.

"You bitch," Steven yells, charging towards them.

Julie swings the knife around; the blade plunges deep into the vile man's chest. Blood spews from his wound as his brawny body stumbles backward. Crashing against the wall, he slides to the floor.

Julie quickly unties her feet

"Hurry, Mommy, hurry." Abby glances over to find Steven moving around. Scooping up the bat, the young child runs over and whacks him over the head. His body falls sideways across the bottom step.

"Come on." Taking hold of Abby's hand, Julie bolts up the stairs.

Julie's body weakens and her head begins to spin. Excruciating pain shoots through her. Julie grabs the banister as she doubles over in pain.

"Are you alright, Mommy?"

"I will be in a minute," she takes a few deep breathes, hoping it'll give her a little relief. I have to do this, I just have to, she thinks. Taking Abby's hand, she darts up the steps.

Julie places her ear against the wooden barrier and listens. Not hearing a sound, Julie opens the door and takes a quick look around. Finding the room empty, she dashes across the room; Abby trailing behind her. "You need to run to the neighbor's as fast as you can," Julie nervously instructs as she throws the porch door open.

"What about you, mommy?"

"I'll be there, as soon as I find sissy. Now go before George comes back."

The child looks out across the lawn, then at her mom. She knows she should get help but doesn't want to leave her with the mean men.

"I'll be alright honey, I promise, now go."

"I love you, mommy."

"I love you too, honey, now go."

Taking one last look at her mother's beautiful face, Abby darts across the lawn.

"Be safe, baby, she whispers as she tearfully watches her daughter's frail body fade into the distance. She turns to find George coming up behind her.

"Trying to escape, are you?" Grabbing a fist full of Julie's hair he drags her inside.

Julie swings her arm around and punches him in the nose. Blood spews across his stubbly face.
"This is for my girls." She uses every bit of energy she could muster to roundhouse him again His large flabby body stumbles backward, tripping over the strewed junk.

Darting across the room, Julie throws the utensil drawer open. The sharp cutlery clanks together from the sudden move. She reaches for a knife; George grabs a hold of her arm.

"I don't think so." He slings her across the room. Julies frail body crashes against a shelf. An assortment of knick-knacks teeters noisily above her. She moves out of the way; one topples over, smacking her in the head. Her body crumbles to the floor.

***

Fury surges through every cell in Jeff's body as he clinches and unclinches the steering wheel. His wife and daughter's bodies lying motionless on the bed is forever infixed in his mind. He knows going back to Arkansas is a risky move, but he doesn't care, not when he has a score to settle with Bambini and his goons.

"I told you what I'd do if you hurt my girls. Now you and your crew are going to pay." Jeff glances at the AR15 beside him. He'd taken it and a handgun from Antonio before he fled. "I'm coming for you, Bambini, for you all of your crew," he roars through clenched teeth.

He makes a sharp right onto the county road. The car's hot tires squeal in protest as the backend fishtails around. "All of you worthless, pieces of shit are going to die." He shoves the pedal to the floor. Rocks ping against the side of his car, but Jeff is too busy picturing the appending massacre to notice. "You're going to wish I was never born." Sliding into the drive, he pockets the handgun and then scoops the rifle from the seat.

Anger boils inside him as he stomps across the yard. You're so dead, he thinks as he storms down the hall.

Reaching the office door, Jeff kicks it open. The heavy barrier slams against the wall. A large family portrait crashes to the floor, small shards of glass scatter across the moss-colored carpet.

Bambini springs to his feet. His face becomes a crimson red as anger surges through every ounce of his short, rounded body. "How dare you kick in my door," he yells, pounding his fists on the desk. Papers scatter to the floor.

"Your goons killed my family and now you're going to pay." Lifting the gun to his shoulder, Jeff squeezes the trigger over and over again. A shower of bullets sprays across the room. "No one hurts the Donaldson and lives to tell about it, not while I'm alive."

***

Characters
Jeff Donaldson, the man forced to commit crimes to save his family
Julie Donaldson, Jeff's wife
Abby, Rebecca Donaldson, Jeff and Julie's girls
Luigi Ricci, George,
and Steven, Bruno Bambini's goon
Bruno Bambini, kingpin.


Berryville PD
Joe, sergeant
Rachel, detective
Jerry, detective,
Sharon, ME, head of forensics


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.