General Poetry posted July 18, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Rondeau Redoublet - French Form

The Guiding Stars

by Sugarray77

The guiding stars will lead the way
through north winds coldly stiff and bracing.
There, shining bright, in full array,
we feel their calming hands, embracing.

Bent over by the window casing,
our Captain searched the charts that lay.
”We’re lost”, I thought, “we’ll keep retracing.
The guiding stars will lead the way.”

Our ship was tossed both night and day,
the steepest waves we had been facing;
with roiling swells and foamy flay,
through north winds coldly stiff and bracing.

Wild, gale force winds sent our ship racing
into the ocean’s mist and spray.
We hoped for stars in heaven, gracing;
there, shining bright, in full array.

Our Captain steered our course away;
the ship is safe, no scarred defacing.
Stars lead on to a peaceful quay,
we feel their calming hands, embracing.

Torn foresail’s rigging needs replacing;
in harbor now we plan to stay,
then siren’s songs, we will go chasing;
upon the seas, stars show the way,
     ... the guiding stars.



Share A Story In A Poem contest entry

Recognized


In our European Poetry class, Jim (Pantygynt) has led us in writing a Rondeau Redoublet. The format requirements are below. I must say this is the most difficult verse I have ever written... but fun. (We were instructed to write this with the masculine and feminine endings). Now on to the Villanelle.... Yippee!! LOL (It is hard too)


A Rondeau Redouble is a French 'forme fixee' poem. Note that there are only two rhymes throughout. The first stanza acts as a chart inasmuch as each of these lines is repeated in order as the last lines of the next four stanzas. The metre is not laid down but English language versions tend to use iambic pentameter as does this. The sixth stanza maintains the rhyme scheme for the first four lines but does not use any of the lines in the first stanza. The poem ends with a hemistitch, (shown as 'h' in the rhyme scheme) -- a phrase repeated from the first line. The rhyme scheme runs: A1-B1-A2-B2, babA1, abaB1, babA2, abaB2, babah. In each stanza one rhyming pair should be made up of feminine rhyme and one of masculine. This instruction is frequently ignored, presumably because it is considered too difficult.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sugarray77 All rights reserved.
Sugarray77 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.