Horror and Thriller Flash Fiction posted July 15, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
We all have skeletons in our closets.

Hidden Secrets

by Mia Twysted


Mindy and Randy entered the tavern shaking off the wetness from the weather. Sitting at a sizeable dusty table in the corner, Mindy scanned the worn-out establishment, feeling almost sorry for it. Neglected and unloved, the 100-year-old tavern felt hostile. Chills ran up her spine as the rain just outside let loose.

"Do you think this is a good idea?" Mindy said.

"I do," Randy said.

"You don't think they'll be mad?"

"A little, but they will get over it."

Randy nodded to a couple just arriving.

"I'll get drinks," he said.

Tapping his fingers on the chipped wooden bar, Randy relyed an order, tipped the bartender, and greeted his overly affectionate parents. Mindy stood as a burly lumberjack entered with a petite woman close to his side. Shaking off the umbrella, he smiled as the woman disappeared around the corner.

"Your mother had to go to the bathroom to check her hair."

"Oh no," Mindy giggled, "it got wet."

"The whole world is ending."

Throwing her arms around her father's neck, he lifted her off the ground as the two greeted with a warm embrace. Hugging his daughter, the pair headed to the uneven table followed moments later by her mother.

"Mom. Dad," she said, "this is Randy. Randy, my Mother, and father, Peter and Jessica."

"Nice to meet you," Randy said.

Extending his hand, Randy shook Peter's and then kissed the back of Jessica's.

"And I'd like you to introduce you to my parents," he said, "Roger and Emma."

Stepping aside the well-dressed young man motioned for his parents to step forward. Jessica stood in anticipation, reaching out her hand. Letting out a small gasped she froze.

"Mom, are you okay?" Mindy said.

"Sorry," Jessica said, "Roger and Emma, right."

She shook their hands then redirected their attention.

"This is my husband, Peter."

The group sat in silence as the bartender delivered a round of drinks. Nervously downing her beer Jessica motioned for another round. The storm outside raged against the leaky roof as they starred at each other.

"So," Emma broke the silence, "what brings us all here tonight?"

"We wanted you all to meet," Randy said.

"Oh, my," Jessica stuttered, "are you two dating?"

Mindy wiggled in her seat, unable to stay still.

"Dating, married, and pregnant," she said.

Silence surrounded the table as the young couple looked restlessly at each other.

"You can't be married to him." Jessica said, "You can't be having his baby."

"Mom, what are you talking about?" Mindy asked.

Jessica turned toward her husband tears streaming down her face.

"It was a long time ago. You were so happy when you found out that I couldn't tell you."

"Tell me what?" Peter questioned.

"Jessica. NO!" Roger said.

"I had an affair, Peter," she continued, "and I got pregnant. Mindy's not your biological daughter."

"Oh my god," Emma said.

Eyes of stone pierced Roger as Emma understood everything.

"Are you saying?" Mindy paused, "oh my god, that Randy's my brother?"

"Yes," Jessica said.



Flash Fiction Writing Contest contest entry


Mindy - Main character 1
Randy - Main character 2

Peter and Jessica - Mindy's parents
Roger and Emma - Randy's parents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mia Twysted All rights reserved.
Mia Twysted has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.