Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 12, 2019 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Julie tries to get her and her daughters to safety.

A chapter in the book Debt Collector

Attempted Escape (Part 2)

by Mistydawn


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

Summary
Jeff is told he can either help Bruno Bambini with his shady business or watch his family die a slow, painful death. How far will Jeff go to save the ones he loves?
Jeff has stolen a car and has been chased by the cops. He escapes from that only to be sent to another job. Jeff hears sirens in the middle of his illegal adventure. Setting the building on fire, he flees from the scene. Julie discovers an intruder in their house, which she manages to handle. Putting the pieces together, the Berryville PD are in pursuit of their suspect. Jeff was arrested and let go. He meets a mugger on the way home. After scaring off the mugger, Jeff turns towards Luigi, gun in hand. He decides to get the girls to safety before attempting such a move. Jeff is taken back to Bambini's where he's told about his final job, taking Bambini's rival hostage.


***
Rachel is at her desk trying to find something to connect Jeff with Bambini. Her two partners are working alongside her, hoping they can figure it out. The hustle and bustle of the police station continue all around them, but the three are too busy trying to wrap things up to pay it any mind.

Rachel was about to give up when she discovers the Donaldson's had deposited a large sum six years ago. "I found something interesting." A perplexed look crosses her face as she glances up from the screen.

"What is it, Rachel?"

"According to the bank records, Jeff made a $30,000 cash deposit, two weeks before their college graduation."

"Maybe it was a present?"

"From whom? Her parents are dead and Jeff's parents don't have that kind of money. Besides, why wouldn't they just write them a check?"

Joe scratches his balding head; it's something he does when he's in deep thought. "Maybe they didn't want the cash traced back to them?"

"That'd only happen if the benefactor is a loan shark, laundering money, or committing tax fraud," Rachel concludes.

"And you think Bambini had something to do with this?" Joe asks, trying to connect the dots.

"It's the only logical explanation I can think of. It would also explain why Jeff is working for him."

"How do you suggest we prove it?"

"Search Bambini's accounts."

"Good luck with that." Joe laughs.

"You don't think I can prove it?"

"It's nothing against you; I just know first hand how well Bambini covers his tracks."

"Oh, I see. So, you think since you couldn't do it, I won't be able to either. Well, watch and learn, Mr. watch and learn," she replies, tapping on the keyboard.

Joe looks at Jerry. His partner mouths: "you're in the doghouse now."

Bringing his hands to his mid-chest, Joe moves his fingers down to resemble paws. Rolling his tongue out of his mouth he pants. They both snicker.

Rachel glances up from her screen. "What's so funny?" She finds Jerry and Joe trying to contain a laugh.

"Nothing." They answer in unison, snickering again.

"Guys, there's been a shooting in the historical district," the captain announces as he rushes to their desks.

"Isn't that out of our jurisdiction, Captain?" Joe questions.

"It is, but they've specifically requested you three."

"What do they want with us?"

"The Captain believes Jeff Donaldson is the shooter."

***

Julie is naked on the hide-a-bed in the basement. Her hands and feet are secured to its metal frame; fresh blood oozes all around her. "Please God, please send someone to help us before it's too late," she begs into the darkness.

The room suddenly brightens; a child's voice cries out. "I want my mommy, I want my mommy, " Abby cries as heavy footsteps tromp down the stairs.

Julie turns to find Abby in George's arms. "You're alright," Julie cries.

"I told her she can see you if she behaves." George tosses her on the bed.

Julie notices the welts and bruises on Abby's arms and legs when the preschooler lands beside her. He hurt my little girl. Her body begins to tremble as fury courses through her veins. She glares up at George, fire in her eyes. Cocking her head to the side, she says through gritted teeth: "If I ever get loose from here, so help me God I'll... I'll..."

"You'll do what, small fry?" George laughs.

"I'll kill you and your partner, and I'll make sure it'll be a slow, painful death."

"You think your threats scare me cause they don't. Hell, I've fought women twice your size and won. Didn't work up a sweat, either." George scans her petite frame. "I bet it'd be nothing to knock your sorry ass around, not even a warm up."

"Rot in hell, you bastard." She tries to sit up; the rope pulls her back down. George laughs again. "You're a dead man, hear me a dead man," she screams.

"I'm... I'm so... So scared." Chuckling, George closes the door.

"You're a dead man, George, a dead man," Julie repeats as his laughter fades away.

Frightened, Abby glances up at her mommy; tears flow from her red, swollen eyes."Hold me, Mommy, please hold me," she begs, cuddling against her.

Julie feels her baby trembling against her. She lays her head on top of the child's hoping the small gesture will bring her a little comfort. "I'll get us out of this, honey, I promise."

"I love you, Mommy," Abby cries, scooting closer.

"I love you too, baby, now and forever, with all my heart," she says relishing every second of the precious moment she thought she would never have again.

***

Julie wakes up to find the small ray of sunlight quickly fading away. She then hears shuffling in the room above her. I need to figure a way out of this and I need to do it quick. Julie scans the room for ideas. "Abby honey, it's time to wake up."

"I'm still tired, Mommy," the child whines.

"I am too, but sleeping won't help us get free."

"What are you going to do?"Abby asks, rubbing her eyes.

"It's what you're going to do."

"Me?" She pulls herself up.

"You need to help me get loose."

Abby glances at the rope. "How?"

"You need to untie me."

Abby scans the rope again. "I... I don't think I can."

"You're a smart girl, you can do this."

Abby sees the reassuring look on her mother's face. Not wanting to disappoint she meekly replies: "I'll try."

"That's my girl."

The child scurries to the top of the bed. "What do you want me to do?"

"Remember how we practiced tying and untying your shoes?"

"I think so."

"Do the same with the rope."

Abby fiddles with the cord. "I can't remember how."

"Try sweetheart, please, just try." Abby turns her attention back to the task at hand. "I can't get it, Mommy."

"Try again."

Abby does what she's told, but the knot wouldn't budge. "I still can't do it," she whines.

"It's ok, sweetie, I'll think of something else." She anxiously looks around. "See the knife on daddy's workbench?"

"The one you told us not to touch?"

"That's the one."

Abby gulps. "What... What about it?"

"I want you to get it for me."

"Won't I hurt myself?" she nervously asks as she stares at the sharp, scary object, shining in the dim light.

"Not if you're careful."

Abby grabs the handle with her fingertips and slowly walks towards her mom; she sighs with relief when she finally makes it to the bed.

"I knew you could do it."

"I am a big girl, Mommy," Abby says proudly.

"Yes, you are. Now, I want you to slide daddy's knife between my wrists and the rope."

"Like this?"

"Turn it the other way around. Perfect, now I want you to move it back and forth as you pull up on the knife."

"I can't do it," Abby says as she pulls upward on the handle.

"Saw and pull at the same time."

"Like this?"

"That's the way." Julie nervously glances towards the door and then turns her attention back to her daughter. "You're doing good honey, but you need to hurry before those men come back." Abby slices through the rope quicker.

"I did it, Mommy, I did it," she exclaims as the final cord falls free.

"You sure did, now hurry and do the other one." Abby scampers across the bed. She starts to put the knife in place when they hear footsteps on the stairs.

"Hurry, lay beside me and pretend you're still asleep."

***

Jeff starts having flashbacks of the fatal shooting as he continues north on Hwy 65. He wasn't sure where he was going or what he'll do when he gets there. He just knows he can't stay in Arkansas a second more.

I killed two people in cold blood and I got an innocent baby shot too. What did I do? What did I just do? I have to get out of here before the police find me, but where should I go? Will Bambini kill my wife and kids the way he promised now Antonio's dead?

Jeff thinks back to all of the warnings he and Luigi gave. How they would've been fatal if the people didn't do what they were told. I have to save my family. He starts to turn around when another thought comes to mind. The cops will arrest me before I make it across town. I could call the police; say that Bambini is holding my family hostage. They'll probably trace the call back to me, but at least I know Julie and the girls will be safe. Deciding on a plan, he pulls his vehicle to the shoulder of the road.

Jeff reaches for his phone but grabs Luigi's instead. He sees his beautiful wife naked on the pull-out couch in the basement. Her body encircled in blood; their youngest daughter is curled up beside her. He quickly discovers that neither of them seems to be alive. He zooms in the picture, hoping to find a sign of life, but still doesn't see their chests rise and fall.

"Not my sweethearts, oh, please, not my girls." Tears stream down his blood-smeared face as he continues to watch the screen.

Jeff's sorrow turns to fury and his fury to rage. Throwing the phone in the seat Jeff makes a U-turn onto the highway; "Those sons of bitches killed my family and now they're going to pay."

***

Characters
Jeff Donaldson, the man forced to commit crimes to save his family
Julie Donaldson, Jeff's wife
Abby, Rebecca Donaldson, Jeff and Julie's girls
Luigi Ricci, Bruno Bambini's goon
Bruno Bambini, kingpin.
Berryville PD
Joe, sergeant
Rachel, detective

Jerry, detective,
Sharon, ME, head of forensics

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.