Romance Fiction posted July 7, 2019 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 22... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
McKenzie is scared and it's showing.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 8 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
Ending of Previous Post:

Inside McKenzie's townhouse, Logan held out his hand. "My keys. I'll need to go home tonight unless you want me to sleep on your couch."

She handed them to him. "You can leave."

Logan glanced out the window. "They're here. I'll see you in the morning."

"Who's here?"

Logan pointed out the window. "Your protection." McKenzie crossed her arms over her chest as he continued, "Don't get upset with me. This is all on Bill. I'm innocent. It came down to a detail or me. I figured you'd rather have a detail."


TODAY'S POST:

McKenzie stared out the window. I can't believe Bill did this. I'm sure Logan talked him into it. At dinner tomorrow, I'll get this straightened out. She petted Edger. "You want out, boy?"

As she let the dogs out, she noticed police officers checking her back yard. Arlo barked with back hair bristled, and Edger checked things out.

After an officer waved at her, she said, "My dogs are all the protection I need."

"I understand, Ma'am. I'm just following orders."

When the dogs returned inside, McKenzie shut and locked the door. "I'm a prisoner in my own house. Bill's going to get an earful." She headed upstairs. Both dogs followed.

*****

Early the following morning, Logan watched McKenzie struggle carrying a full laundry basket down the stairs, reached out his arms to take it, as he said, "Let me help."

McKenzie jumped and stumbled. He caught her as the basket fell, dumping laundry on the stairs and floor.

She backed away and yelled, "You startled me. Don't you ever knock?"

"I did. When you didn't answer, I figured you were still in bed."

"No, you didn't. Arlo didn't bark." She picked up dirty clothes. "If I was still in bed, what were you going to do? Join me."

"Joining you was the farthest thing from my mind. I would have waited down here. Maybe..."

"I know fix breakfast," interrupted McKenzie. "Not even my mom was this concerned about my eating habits."

"I was going to say, let the dogs out. I'm getting pretty good at that. I was also relieving the police detail." He grinned. "Then maybe start breakfast. You know it's the most important meal of the day." He knelt to pick up some things.

"Don't touch my stuff."

"Yes, Ma'am." He dropped them. "I was only trying to help. You know, it's not like I've never seen or touched women's clothing before. I had a sister and I am thirty-four. I've actually met a few women in my day."

"I'm sure you have." She finished picking up the clothes and carried the basket to the laundry room.

Logan followed. "What did you mean by that statement?"

"You probably have women stashed at every port."

"That would be the Navy. I'm Army." He paused. "Wait a minute. Are we going to argue all day?"

"I guess that's up to you." McKenzie started sorting clothes.

"Why are you this upset already or did you just wake up like this?" Logan watched her as she continued her task, before he said, "I guess you're still upset over the beer and maybe the assigned detail." He left. "I'm starting coffee. I need a cup."

*****

As Logan sipped his coffee, McKenzie entered the kitchen. "Logan?" When he glanced at her, she continued, "Can I have some coffee?"

"Sure." He got up, poured her a cup, and handed it to her. "Ready to tell me what's going on?"

"I feel I don't have any control of my life. Everybody's making decisions without asking me. Bill put a protective detail on me and you just entered my home without knocking."

"Let's get one thing straight. I did knock, but nobody answered."

"Why didn't the dogs bark? Arlo barks at everything."

"Maybe he's gotten used to me being around and didn't see any reason to bark." Logan stood. "Ready for me to start breakfast?" After she nodded he said, "Why do you think Bill put a protective detail on you?"

"Because he doesn't believe I can take care of myself."

Logan stared at her with raised eyebrows. "Really?"

"Okay, maybe because I was drugged and somebody left a package with a dead rat in it on my doorstep."

"Duh? Do you think? He also cares about you, a lot." He reached for some flour. "You like pancakes?" After she nodded, he continued, "Bill gave me a choice to stay with you myself or have a detail. I thought you would be more comfortable with a detail."

"Why wasn't I given the choice?"

"I don't know. You need to ask him." He took out a large mixing bowl, and then his eyes met hers. "Did I choose wrong?" When she didn't answer, he added, "You can talk with Bill tonight."

"I plan to."

"You're almost out of eggs. Do you plan on going grocery shopping today? If not, I'll get some."

"After I finish with the house, I'll go shopping. Want to help me with the list?"

"Sure. Is it all right if we split the bill?" After she nodded and grinned, he said, "Good."

McKenzie ate most of her stack of pancakes before she set her fork down. "I didn't get much sleep last night."

"Why?" He got the coffee pot, refilled hers and then his. "Want to talk about it?"

"I'm not sure I can."

"Were you angry or scared or something else?"

"At first I was angry, but then I got scared, I guess. I'm scared of the unknown. I don't know what's going on. Why is this happening?" McKenzie chewed on her bottom lip. "If I knew what was going on, I think I'd be okay."



Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny A man Megan Nelson dated.



Recognized


I leave for vacation tomorrow, July 8th and will return July 25th. I will review and post, hopefully, as much as I can. My story is almost complete, so all I have to do is edit, and edit and edit. I still mess up. LOL

Thank you google images for a photo of a question mark made from puzzle pieces. I thought it was appropriate. This post is a little under 900 words.

Again, thank you for your wonderful support.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.