General Script posted July 6, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A second interviewer comes in to get Gunny's story.

The Interview Part 3

by Bill Schott


Characters:
Gunny = a retired Marine turning one hundred
Bunny = a twenty-five-year-old reporter and columnist for the local paper
Dot = Gunny's wife


The next scene continues in Gunny's living room as he prepares to answer questions for a different local columnist. There are three characters on the set with two centered and seated and one upstage and standing.

Bunny : I certainly appreciate your allowing us to reschedule this interview, Mr. Gunderson.

Gunny: Of course. I'm sorry that it was necessary. I must have been off my game when your friend was here.

Bunny: So happy we could come back for your story. Reading my colleague's notes I see that you needed to leave Korea because your wife had died. So sorry for your loss.

Gunny: She died in child birth, in a way.

Bunny: Oh no. I'm so sorry. Did the child survive.

Gunny:
Hesitating. Eyes moving rapidly as if remembering an entire lifetime in a few seconds.
             No -- no one survived.

Bunny: I can see why this was a trouble spot for your interview earlier. We can skip over this if you'd prefer.

Gunny:  I had been in Korea for over a year when I heard she had died.

Bunny: I thought she died in childbirth? If you had been gone a -- Oh! Of course.


Walking down stage from the back wall, a woman comes to a stop just behind the female interviewer Bunny.

Dot:  We were upset with ourselves and so full of regret and fear.

Gunny: She had an affair with my brother Theodore --TJ.

Bunny: I'm so, so sorry, Mister --

Dot: TJ found someone to help us.

Gunny: She had an abortion from some woman in the outskirts of town.  It wasn't  done well. She bled to death in my brother's arms.

Dot:  We both cried and I fell asleep.  TJ carried me home to this very house. So long ago.

Bunny: This is so sad, Mr. Gunderson.

Gunny: I was notified and allowed a humanitarian transfer back to the states.

Dot: Soon. Very soon. We will all be together. 

Gunny: It was all too much for both of us. Theodore was a broken man. He groveled at my feet with humiliation; devastated by all that had occurred.

Bunny: What a horrible situation to come home to, Miste -- uh - Gunny.

Dot: We'll walk in the garden. The lilacs are so fragrant and beautiful.

Gunny: I strangled him right there.




 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.