Humor Non-Fiction posted July 7, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A trip to remember

Riding The Bus With Suzy Q

by Sally Law


I had a different life growing up than most everyone I knew. Traumatic and constantly changing circumstances would describe my early years.

I attended many schools across four different states, never really settling in and falling behind in basic math skills. By the time my school records had caught up with me, I was off again. I overheard someone refer to me as "the new girl with the tangled, white hair."

I was hopeful for the day my life, and my hair, would eventually untangle.

My mother did the best she could, and I appreciated the fact that we weren't homeless. How she overcame such trying circumstances and constant hardships with four children to provide for dumbfounds me still.

The last straw broke the camel's back on an ordinary day in 1964. We had left our small apartment in such a hurry, I left my treasure chest still tucked underneath my bed, my cherished diary inside.

Loading a few personal belongings in my brother's car, my mother secured my sister, Suzanne, in my lap. I realized as I sat in the idling car that we'd never be back.

This was mom's last attempt to break free from our alcoholic father, hopeful we could start a new life in Florida. She eventually remarried in 1967, and things finally improved for us. But, we still struggled as a family, not taking time to appreciate summer vacations.

Mom recognized this and decided to send us girls on a "Trailways" bus from Orlando to Atlanta. We were long overdue to see family we had left behind.

Trailways was known as the inexpensive bus, more so than the nationally recognized Greyhound Bus Lines whose catchy slogan was "Go Greyhound And Leave The Driving To Us." Pennies were still being pinched by my bookkeeper mother--God love her.

As protective as she was, I remember being shocked by the announcement I was to chaperone nine-year-old Suzanne at the age of (almost) thirteen. Relatives would be waiting to meet us at the bus station in downtown Atlanta. The bus trip was not direct, though, which explained the low, budget-friendly fare. It stopped at every podunk town in the Sunshine State all the way through Georgia to our destination.

After waving goodbye to mom through the window, we made ourselves comfortable in the front of the bus near the driver. This seemed like the safest thing to do, traveling alone with my sister.

I remembered my mother's last instructions as we boarded. "Never leave Suzy, not even for a second, Sally Marie. Do you understand?"

I knew she meant business, and that my very life was on the line whenever she used my first and middle name in a sentence.

I'm glad my mother hadn't seen into the bus. It was noticeably dirty, no, I take that back--filthy. Cockroaches paid us homage the entire trip, coming up the side panels through the air conditioning vents. I eventually stuffed my only handkerchief in the vent, praying I wouldn't sneeze.

Thankfully, I loved spending time with my sister, and we made the best of our unsanitary situation by reading, talking, and admiring the scenery.

Halfway into the trip, our bus pulled off the road to help another passenger bus with engine problems. Twelve or so weary travelers came aboard, overflowing our capacity. Although there were not enough seats, we all made way for them and their luggage.

Did I mention I was wearing white bell-bottom sailor pants and matching top? Suzanne was dressed up, too, at our mother's insistence. We tried not to think about our pristine outfits as we gave our seats to an elderly couple and sat on the disgusting floor.

We continued on northbound, stopping all along the way. The fourteen hour bus trip had been extended, and into the night we rolled.

As soon as I had dozed off, Suzanne whispered to me. "Sal, I gotta go--really bad."

I rose from bus floor, and took her by the hand; walking groggily to the front of the bus.

"Excuse me, sir. My sister... she needs to go. How far until we stop again?"

"Not much longer, little lady. I'll see you get to the bathroom as soon as possible. I'm thinking--maybe, five or ten minutes."

I looked at Suzy Q as she shook her head in compliance.

"May we sit here in the front since we are so close?"

"Yes, but just for now. When you get back on the bus, you and your little sister will need to sit in the back," said the kind driver. He waved his hand for us to sit next to him on the extended portion of his seat.

"Thank you," I replied.

"You girls are mighty growed up to be traveling by yourselves. I saw yore momma waving at ya from the terminal. She looked so very proud," said the driver with a toothy grin.

The bus stopped as the early sun was coming up. I recognized the town name as the driver announced, "Next stop--Tifton, Georgia."

This was a different stop though, more like a main terminal. Everyone flooded out of the overcrowded bus and into the restrooms. I could smell coffee coming through the walls from the main lobby, and I was hoping I had enough travel money to buy some breakfast--maybe, a hot coffee served in a styrofoam cup.

We raced to the bathroom as fast as we could. I yanked on the bathroom stall door, but it was locked. None of the doors budged.

"Suzy, look underneath and see if there are feet."

"Nope, none here," she reported.

A nice lady pointed out to us that these were pay toilets, ten cents per customer. Sorta like a washing machine that had a money slot, the kind used in a laundromat, I thought.

I'd never heard of such a thing! Pay toilets!

I fleeced myself for a dime and came up with none. The kind lady handed me two dimes with a smile.

"Alright," I said, as I held the door for my sister. "Do hurry up, and then you can hold the door for me."

Suzy just looked at me with pleading eyes. After taking what felt like forever, I finally broke silence.

"Would you please hurry. The bus is leaving and I would like to grab something for us to eat," I said impatiently.

"Go outside and look. I'm sure we have time," she pleaded.

I locked her in the stall, fully aware I shouldn't have left her alone, especially in this strange place. I heard my mothers voice in my head, as I sprinted all the way to the bus platform.

It looked ready for departure to me, so I booked it back to the ladies room to fetch my sister.

"The bus marked Atlanta is leaving," I cried in breathless exhaustion.

"Sal, I'm still going," she said.

"While I am waiting on you, I will use the other dime and go pee. As soon as I am finished, we are together--headed for the bus. Do you get what I'm sayin?" I said in paternal tones.

"But, I'm hungry," she whined.

"I have a slightly melted 'Snicker' bar in my purse. I'll split it with you. We aren't far from Atlanta and breakfast."

I finished quickly, and washed my hands. I noticed my newly purchased white pants were blackened. I felt gross after sitting on the grimy bus floor for hours. Suzy had to feel the same way, I thought, as I began to soften.

But, the soft mood quickly left when I realized the only thing worse than re-boarding the nasty bus was being stranded in Tifton, Georgia, panhandling for dimes with my sister. How would I explain this to our mother?

"Come on, we gotta go!"

"Oh, all right," she said with heavy breath.

I put my arm around her as we hurried to the bus. Relief washed over me when I saw it hadn't left us. In my panic, I had looked at another departing bus bound for Atlanta.

Thankfully, we had enough time to eat breakfast, call our awaiting relatives, and load up with more small change.

You never know when you might need those extra dimes.



True Story Contest contest entry

Recognized


Suzanne and me recently. We laughed and laughed about our bus trip to Georgia. Suzanne is on the left and that is me on the right.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.