Romance Fiction posted June 30, 2019 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
McKenzie gets additional security.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 8 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't want to believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat
Ending of Previous Post:


"Some place she called 'The Roof.' The closest I could get was the 'Tin Roof.' You familiar with it?"

Logan shook his head. "No. When we going?"

McKenzie sighed. "I don't want you to go. I'll probably visit it Monday evening, and then go back Friday or Saturday. I can get an idea of what it's like Monday and then see who the players are on the weekend."

Logan set his jaw. "I don't want you to go alone."

"I'll take Jose with me." McKenzie paused. "It may be better if we meet there. I probably should go as a single female." She studied Logan. He's worried something will happen. Now what do I do? She moved closer to him. "Jose will have my back."

"I know. But..."

She put her hand on his arm. "I'm not Megan."

Logan turned and walked outside.

McKenzie watched. He needs time. She went to the den. "I need to check old cases and see if I can find anybody who'd want to harm me."

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 8 PART 1

Almost an hour later, Logan joined her. When McKenzie glanced up from her files, he said, "About earlier..."

"You don't need to explain," she interrupted. "I understand. Really, I do."

He swallowed hard as he glanced at the files. "Did you find anything?"

McKenzie shook her head. "Nothing even close." She grinned. "I called Mrs. Whitmore." When his eyebrows rose, she continued, "Want to pull surveillance again Thursday evening?"

"Sure. Be ready to discuss what qualities you're looking for in a perfect husband."

"Deal. Tomorrow, I'll make a list and let you read it."

"It'll be too dark. You'll need to tell me. That way I can ask questions if I need to." Logan grinned.

"That wasn't part of the deal. I didn't ask questions." Her lips formed a pout. "That's not fair."

"How's it my fault you didn't ask questions?" Logan grinned at her pout. "Okay. If you think of any, you can ask. Fair enough?" He glanced at his watch. "I like to watch batting practice. How about you?"

"Me too. I'll be ready in a minute." McKenzie ran upstairs.

When she returned, she stood and watched Logan check the back door to make sure it was locked. He gets an A plus in over-protectiveness.

He adjusted his Cardinals' hat. "I like your Molina T-shirt. Let's watch some baseball." He opened the front door.

*****

On the way to Bush Stadium, McKenzie asked, "Have you already planned your junk food meal?"

"I don't plan everything." Logan paused. "But the answer is yes; 'El Birdos Gourmet Nachos' and two large cheeseburgers. Probably some peanuts later. How about you?"

"Pretzel and a foot-long chili cheese dog with extra onions and cheese." McKenzie paused. "Oh yes, a chocolate milkshake. Of course, peanuts."

After Logan parked in the garage across from the stadium, they walked to the 8th street ticket booth and stood in line to pick up the tickets.

As Logan handed McKenzie her ticket, she asked, "How much do I owe you?"

"Nothing."

"Remember this isn't a date. We're two friends who enjoy baseball going to a game. I need to pay my way."

Logan held out his hand. "Do you have a five dollar bill?"

"I think so." McKenzie searched her billfold and handed one to him. "Here."

He shoved it in his pocket. "Your ticket's paid for."

She held it up. "I know it cost more than five dollars. They're playing the Cubs. You tricked me!" McKenzie's hands were on her hips.

Grabbing her hand, Logan teased, "I did," he grinned, "and I can't believe it was that easy. Let's get inside."

Standing in the walkway, McKenzie read her ticket stub out loud, "Section one hundred forty-six, row 'E'. That's right down the first base line. Wow! These tickets had to cost over a hundred dollars each." She hugged him and then her cheeks tinged pink. "Sorry. I guess I got a little excited."

"Not a problem. I'm glad you approve." Again, Logan held her hand and led her to their seats. After they were seated, he asked, "Did your parents bring you to the games?"

"Dad did. We came a few times a year. Mom rarely came."

"Didn't your mom like baseball? Maybe she was a Cubs fan." He chuckled.

"She wasn't." McKenzie smiled, but then avoided eye contact. "Mom had some problems."

She obviously doesn't want to talk about it. Subject change. Logan pointed to the dugout. "Yadi just came out." He smiled as McKenzie jumped up and cheered.

*****

About thirty minutes before game time, Logan stood. "I'll get the food. You wanted a pretzel and foot long chili cheese dog, right? What to drink?"

"Chocolate milkshake, but I'll come. You can't carry everything." She followed him up the steps. At the top, she asked, "Which way?"

Logan pointed to the left. "Your pretzels and hot dogs are over there." He reached into his billfold and took out some cash.

"I see your nacho place over there." She pointed to the right. "I'll get mine and meet you. Your line looks longer."

"But..." Logan still held the cash.

"If anybody tries anything, I'll scream and ..."

"Okay. I get it," interrupted Logan. "I'm overprotective. I'm working on it." He grinned and shoved the cash in his pocket. She's not going to make this easy. He called after her, "Try not to hurt anybody." He walked to the right, but often looked back to check on McKenzie.

She smiled and shook her head each time he glanced in her direction.

While standing in line, Logan got a text from Bill. He silently read it: "Mac needs protection during the night. Think she'll let you stay? If not, I'll have the police assign a detail."

Logan ran his hand through his military-cut hair and replied, "Maybe. We're actually getting along and having fun. I took her to a ball game. Will keep you posted."

*****

As McKenzie sipped her milkshake, Logan caught up and he asked, "Did you have to fight off any men or see anybody who looked suspicious?"

"I saw plenty of suspicious looking people, but nobody noteworthy. How about you?"

"When are you going to take these threats seriously?"

"I am taking them seriously." She briefly chewed on her lower lip. "I had a moment of weakness. I won't let it happen again. I won't let these threats take over my life."

He nodded. "If you insist. Let's get back to our seats, I'm hungry."

At their seats, McKenzie watched Logan take a sip of a drink. "What's that?"

"A beer. Do you want one?" After she shook her head, he held it out. "You want a drink?"

"No." She turned away and took a bite of her pretzel.

That was strange. Logan stood as the National Anthem played. Afterward, he faced McKenzie still standing. "Have I done something wrong?"

"No." She sat and picked up the scorecard. "The game's ready to start."

*****

McKenzie jumped up and down and clapped her hands as Matt Carpenter hit a homerun. "I think that makes twenty-three for him this year." She yelled, "Go Carp!"

Logan raised his hand for her to hand-slap. When she did, he grinned.
Maybe she's forgiven me for whatever I did.

At the beginning of the fifth inning, Logan called to a vendor.

McKenzie glared at him. "You're getting another beer?"

"No, I was getting us some peanuts. I thought they were on your list."

She gulped. "They were. Thank you."

I know it's the beer she's upset with, but why? I'm not drunk and disorderly with one beer. He paid the vendor and passed her a bag of peanuts. "Would you like something to drink with them?"

McKenzie nodded. "Water. I'll get it. Do you want one?" She took out her billfold.

He motioned for another vendor, bought two bottles of water, and passed her one. "I got this."

"But..."

"Watch the game. We're switching pitchers. He must be new. I don't recognize him."

"They've called up a couple of new relievers from the minors."

As the game ended, McKenzie remained in her seat. "Good game. We won. It's always a good feeling."

"Ready to leave?"

"Nope. I want to savor the win." She scanned the crowd. "We might as well wait until it lets up a little." She held out her hand. "The keys."

Logan tilted his head. "I'm not drunk if that's what you're implying." He glanced at his watch. "It's been three hours since I drank one beer. I weigh two hundred pounds. The alcohol's already left my system." He watched as McKenzie glared at him. He reached in his pocket, and handed her the keys. "Here, if it makes you feel better."

"It does."

In the foyer of the stadium, McKenzie paused. "I need to use the bathroom."

While Logan waited, he sent Bill a text. "You'll need to get a police detail for Mac. I messed up. I had a beer. She's pissed with me."

Bill replied. "That's on me. I should have warned you. I'll explain at dinner tomorrow."

"I'll stay with her until the detail arrives."

*****

Inside McKenzie's townhouse, Logan held out his hand. "My keys. I'll need to go home tonight unless you want me to sleep on your couch."

She handed them to him. "You can leave."

Logan glanced out the window. "They're here. I'll see you in the morning."

"Who's here?"

Logan pointed out the window. "Your protection." McKenzie crossed her arms over her chest as he continued, "Don't get upset with me. This is all on Bill. I'm innocent. It came down to a detail or me. I figured you'd rather have a detail."





Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny A man Megan Nelson dated.



Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of a Bush Stadium in St. Louis. I have tickets for July 14. I can't wait. This post is a little under 1500 words. I hope it's not too long. I really didn't know where to split it. Sorry. As I posted I made four major changes to this post. I hope it's all right. This post may seem like fluff but there are some things in here that will become important later on in the story.

Again, thank you for your wonderful support.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.