Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 24, 2019 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Julie tries to save her family

A chapter in the book Debt Collector

Held Hostage

by Mistydawn


Summary
Jeff is told he can either help Bruno Bambini with his shady business or watch his family die a slow, painful death. How far will Jeff go to save the ones he loves?

Jeff has stolen a car and has been chased by the cops. He escapes from that only to be sent to another job. Jeff hears sirens in the middle of his illegal adventure. Setting the building on fire, he flees from the scene. Julie discovers an intruder in their house, which she manages to handle. Putting the pieces together, the Berryville PD are in pursuit of their suspect. Jeff was arrested and let go. He meets a mugger on the way home. After scaring off the mugger, Jeff turns towards Luigi, gun in hand. He decides to get the girls to safety before attempting such a move. Jeff is take back t Bambini's where he's told about his final job, taking Bambini's rival hostage.

***
The afternoon sun is blazing across the clear, blue sky, making the spring day unseasonably warm. Humidity from this morning's shower adds to the uncomfortable day. The sergeant wipes the sweat from his brow as he continues towards his crew. He notices a black coupe being hoisted up the mountain when he gets closer. I bet that's the one we've been searching for, Joe concludes as he continues on. He sees one of the forensic technicians headed his way. He then notices his detective arriving on the scene. "What can you tell us, Kirk?" Joe asks as Jerry approaches them.

"The driver's name is Victor Martin. He was found in a pile of rocks about a hundred feet from his car."

"What time did the accident occur?"

"The ME put his time of death between one and four this morning."

Joe glances at his watch and realizes it's nearly noon. "Why wasn't it reported sooner?"

"The car wasn't visible from the highway, sir."

Joe scans the spectators. "Who found him?"

"Mr. Black." Kirk points him out, then continues. "Said he was squirrel hunting when he spotted the car."

Joe sees an elderly man sitting on a large boulder off to the side. He had a thick, gray beard that extends to his chest. His long hair is pulled into a ponytail, fastened at the nape of his neck. His threadbare attire is held together by layers of accumulated dirt."Tell your team to process the car. Jerry, you find out all you can on the suspect and I'll talk to the witness," Joe instructs.

"Yes, boss."

"Mr. Black, my name is Sergeant Bower, I work for the Berryville PD. Taking his notebook from his pocket, Joe begins. "Can you tell me what happened, sir?"

"My dog and I were out hunting when I spotted the car. I went over to see if everyone is alright but didn't find anyone inside. Lucky found him in a pile of rocks." He pats his dog on the head.

"Did you find anyone else?"

"No."

"Thank you for your time." Joe walks back to his partner. "Did you find anything, Jerr?"

"Our victim is 33, recently divorced. His last arrest was a month ago for DUI and drug possession with intent to sell. He was released on bond and is awaiting trial now."

"We'll go talk to the ex, see if she can tell us more."

"Guys, I found this in the trunk of his car." Kirk lifts up an empty gas can and a dark blue suit. "One of the gold buttons is missing."

Joe turns towards Jerry an inquisitive look on his face. "Could it have been him and not Jeff?"

"Could be, boss."

***
Jeff watches the little girl play in the sandbox as he pulls into the drive. I wish there was another way to do this, he thinks, glancing at the phone. Abby is tied to a chair, Julie is unconscious on the floor. He looks at the preschooler again. I don't have a choice. Finding the streets completely deserted, he heads toward her.

That's a neat castle. Did you build it by yourself?" he asks. Glancing up, the young girl smiles. "Can you teach me how to build one?"

"Get away from my girl," A heavily accented voice screams.

Jeff looks up to find a tall, brawny man running towards him. "I'm so sorry, honey," he whispers, scooping the girl in his arms.

"Papa," the child screams reaching for him.

"Put my daughter down." Antonio takes a shooter's stance.

Pulling the weapon from his pocket, Jeff points it at the preschooler's head. "Drop your gun or I'll shoot." Antonio freezes in mid-motion. "Do it, now," Jeff orders.

"Help me, papa," the child cries.

"Please don't hurt my girl." Antonio lowers his gun.

A twig breaks behind him, Jeff swings around to find a larger man coming up from behind. a weapon in hand. "One more move and the girl is dead," Jeff warns, cocking his gun.

***
"Wake up, Mommy, wake up. Oh, please, please wake up," the four-year-old cries as blood continues to gush from the back of her mother's head.

Julie groggily opens her eyes and looks around. She sees dark, oak-stained cabinets running the length of the two outer walls her gray fridge in the corner between them. The stove and sink sit in the center of the room. Pots and pans hang from a rack above it. Why am I down here? Julie remembers being hit in the head and then falling to the floor.

"Please wake up, Mommy, please," Abby sobs.

Julie glances up to find her youngest daughter secured to a chair, tears streaming down her bruised up face. "He hurt my baby," she cries, scurrying across the floor.

"Hurry, Mommy, hurry, before the bad man comes back." Abby encourages as she tries to tug free.

"You can't move at all?"

"The rope is tied too tight."

"Hold still." Grabbing the rope between her teeth, Julie tries to loosen the knot, but the cord wouldn't budge. "Let me try something else."

"Hurry, Mommy, hurry."

Julie scans the room for another idea. Seeing the doggie door, she wiggles over to it.

"You can't get through there."

"You're right. I can't." She starts looking for another idea when she hears footsteps just outside the kitchen door. Julie inches her way towards the entrance and waits.

"What are you doing, Mommy?"

"Shhh." The kitchen door swings open, two large feet tromp into the room. Julie straightens her legs as he takes another step.

Losing his balance, the intruder tumbles to the floor. "You're going to pay for that."

Drawing her legs back, Julie kicks the bottom of her baker's rack. The large, sturdy piece crashes on top of him; objects scatter across the room.

"What's going on in there?" a second voice asks as he stomps their way. Steve finds his buddy under a pile of rubbish when he walks through the door. He sees the child tied to the chair, but her mother has disappeared. He tromps towards the little girl, a scowling look on his face. Grabbing the front of her PJ's, he glares into her big brown eyes. "You better tell me where she is before I give it to you again," he growls, raising his hand in the air.

Abby starts to cry. "Please don't hurt me, mister, please," she begs. Her small body begins to tremble as she stares into his cold, soulless eyes.

"Tell me where she is and I won't."

"I'm in here."

Steve follows her voice through the small pantry to the basement door. "I've got you now." He throws the barrier open.

Julie lifts her feet and kicks him in the back of the legs. Losing his balance, Steve tumbles down the old wooden steps.

***

The two detectives pull up to an adorable one-story red brick home in Berryville's elite section of town. The walkway had an array of colorful flowers on either side. Each leading to larger flowerbeds with concrete stairs in the middle.

"This must've set him back a pretty penny."

"More than we'll make in a lifetime."

"You're not kidding there." Chuckling, Joe knocks.

A tall, slender redhead opens the door a few minutes later.

"Mrs. Martin, my name is Sergeant Bower, and I'm with the Berryville PD."

"It's Ms. Lewis. I switched to my maiden name after the divorce," she informs them icily.

"Yes, ma'am." Clearing his throat he continues. "Your ex-husband had an accident on Bluebird, Mountain..."

"Victor is dead?" she exclaims.

"Yes, Ma'am, we're sorry for your loss."

"Loss, oh heavens no, his death is a blessing to us all."

The officers are taken aback by her reply. "A blessing, ma'am?" Jerry asks.

"I won't have to put up with his drunken fits anymore."

Jerry pulls his notebook from his pocket. "He had a drinking problem?"

"He had a drinking, drug and gambling problem for years. Spent our entire life saving supporting his habits and when that was gone, he remortgaged the house. Fortunately, I was able to save it before the bank foreclosed." She swipes a curl from her face. "This humidity really messes with my hair." She pushes more away.

"Does this Gentleman look familiar?" Joe pulls out a tablet and hands it to her.

She glances at it and then hands it back. "No, but I don't associate with him or any of the scum bags he calls friends."

"Where does he work?" Joe questions.

"He lost his job over a year ago, a legitimate one that is."

Jerry glances up from his paper. "A legitimate one?"

"He has to get his money from somewhere, right?"

"Where does he live?"

"Wherever he parks his car."

"Thanks for all your help."

"Thank you for such wonderful news."

"She took that well."

"A little too well, Jerr."

***
Characters
Jeff Donaldson, the man forced to commit crimes to save his family
Julie Donaldson, Jeff's wife
Abby, Rebecca Donaldson, Jeff and Julie's girls
Luigi Ricci, Bruno Bambini's goon
Bruno Bambini, kingpin.


Berryville PD
Joe, sergeant
Rachel, detective
Jerry, detective,
Sharon, ME, head of forensics





























































 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.