General Fiction posted June 23, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A book review.

Eleanor

by Heather Knight


There are novels that stay with you long after you finish reading the last page.

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine is one of those.

It was recommended to me by a workmate and also by Debra White (another FanStorian) and I have to say I'm grateful to them.

The main character, Eleanor, is quite a peculiar woman. Even though she's only thirty, she lives a very secluded life. Little by little, her horrendous past is revealed and we get to understand her better.

The story is told in first person and hers is one of the most original voices I've encountered in a long time.

Add to this the fact that I listened to the Audible version while I read and the enjoyment is doubled. The Scottish accents are so endearing!

Eleanor is well-educated, but lacks the ability to communicate to other human beings. However, she thinks it's them who are deficient in this area.

This book was published in 2017 and it's Gail Honeyman's debut novel. It got the Costa Debut Novel Award that same year.

I like the fact that it deals with many interesting topics such as mental illness, loneliness, evil, friendship...

Reese Witherspoon bought the film rights and, before that, the novel was chosen by her Hello Sunshine book club as the book of the month in June 2017.

Honeyman's book has been praised by critics and has four and a half stars and more than five thousand reviews on amazon.com.

Now that I've finished it, I feel bereft, but I have just started I'm Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika L. Sanchez and I think I'm going to enjoy it too.

I was born with a reading list I will never be able to finish, but that's a great thing. It will keep boredom at bay.



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.