Supernatural Fiction posted June 16, 2019 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE IMMORTAL

Bloodlust

by scongrove




Background
When I created my new villain, Brad Pitt's character in Interview with a Vampire came to mind. This is still in the working stages, so if you see any mistakes, please let me know. Enjoy!
Previously . . .

After an age-old creature—buried deep in the ground—rises from years of peaceful slumber to feast on humans, it attacks Jena McCain—a young artist who has the ability to speak with the dead—and infects her with the Rougarou curse. Unfortunately, Jena’s fiancé and dear friend did not fair the same fate. Instead, the wolfish creature savagely murdered them. As the virus spreads through her body, Jena must resist her newly found urges for human blood for one hundred and one days. If she succumbs to the blood lust, she will be become the thing that has cursed her.

Now, as Jena heals in the hospital, she reaches out to the only person left in the world she can trust. When Jena contacts Angie—her childhood best friend—she reveals to her the dreadful news of Todd and Sophie’s deaths. Leaving out most of the details, Jena decides to tell her friend about the creature and the curse when she arrives to the hospital.  
        

The next day, Angie arrives at the Bates Hospital to be by Jena’s side. As Jena tells her about the creature and the curse, Angie reveals to Jena a secret of her own. When she explains to Jena about the Breedline species, and that she too, was born with the genetics, Jena is astounded.

Now, as the bond between the two friends become closer than ever before, Angie promises Jena she will do everything she can to help her. Left with no other chose, Angie decides to reach out to the Breedline Covenant for help.    


Continued . . .

Hours later, after Angie had left the hospital, Jena suddenly came awake, her eyes searching through the dark room. She could have sworn she heard a faint movement on the other side of the door.

She hesitated for a moment, unsure what to do. Finally, she rose from the bed, covered herself with a robe, and quietly crept toward the door. Then, she heard that muffled sound again. It wasn’t exactly footsteps, but something softer . . . lighter . . . gently stirring the air.

As Jena pressed close to listen, she felt a cold draft on her bare feet coming from under the door. She crouched down and felt along the floor. Yes, she thought. I can feel it, but where is it coming from?  

Contemplating on whether she should investigate, Jena slipped out of her room before she could change her mind. Standing outside of the door, she took a nervous glance around. It was dark, except for a few flickering fluorescent lights that hung from the ceiling and a lamp on the receptionist’s desk.

That’s strange, she thought. There wasn’t a sign of life anywhere. No guards, no nurses, no one at the front desk. Not a soul in sight. Where did everyone go?

Instantly, the hairs on Jena’s arms lifted and goosebumps rose at the cool breeze that crept over her skin, as though someone had breathed down the back of her neck.

She whirled around, her eyes searching every corner. “Hello,” she called out. “Is anyone there?”

“Shhh . . . come this way.”

“Angie?”

Jena turned toward the soft echo of her friend’s voice, and saw a distant shadow of a person standing in a narrow hallway, holding the door open that led to a stairwell.

“In here, Jena,” the familiar voice said, motioning Jena to follow.

Bewildered, Jena began to walk slowly, curiosity building inside her. Before she managed to get close, the dark figure of what looked like her friend disappeared through the door.

Jena rushed onward. “Angie, wait!”

Surely, Angie saw that I was coming. Why didn’t she wait for me? 

Jena opened the door and nervously peered up the poorly lit stairwell. She couldn’t hear or see anyone. Deep inside her subconscious, she knew she should turn back around and run to her room. Yet all she could do was watch as her feet kept moving, leading her up the stairs, one step at a time. She was compelled to find her friend. What was Angie doing? Why did she come back so late? 

When she finally reached the top, she came to a door with a sign that read PRIVATE.

After a timid glance around, Jena slowly reached for the doorknob. It was cold to the touch. Pushing her fears aside, she went in. 

She stood in a large room, filled with shadows and damp, cool air. Jena shivered, and shoved her hands inside the pockets of her robe.

“Angie?” She whispered, exhaling steam from her parted lips. Her gaze swept from one end of the room to the other. There were file cabinets, lab tables with computers, piles of books stacked on top of one another, and medical instruments she could not easily identify going by the odd shapes of them. 

As Jena waited, her ears tensed for the slightest noise. She couldn’t hear anything but the rhythm of her heart beating, and the hum of illuminated glass doors that were across the room. It reminded her of refrigerated shelved storage units in grocery stores, until she moved closer.

It was stocked with blood.   
 
Rows upon rows of bags of it stored and locked away. Shelf after shelf of dark red liquid that was kept chilled like the finest of wines.

Sweet wines that someone would sip with great pleasure, she thought as she ran her tongue over her lips.

Jena froze as a lone, tall figure suddenly appeared from out of the shadows and moved into the light. She could see his elegant profile, and was certain she’d seen it before.

In my dreams, Jena reminisced. “In my nightmares,” she whispered.

His handsome features were too beautiful and seductive to be real. The soft illumination from the glass clung to him like a shining aura.

It was at that moment she realized who he was. The stranger from her dreams . . . the monster in her nightmares.

Like a distant observer, she watched as he reached to open the glass door. Her mouth watered as he took out a precious bag of blood. He then slightly tilted his back and poised it delicately above his mouth. With his brows clenched, he curled his lip off his front teeth. His fangs positively gleamed in the light as he silently punctured through the plastic. As the crimson gold ran down his throat, he let out a satisfied sigh.

After downing all the contents, he ran a hand over his mouth, and said, “Would you like a taste, Jena?”

The room faded around her. She struggled to breathe, to think, or to move, yet she could hear his velvety voice and recognized it at once.

He dropped the empty bag at his feet and held out his hand. “Come closer,” he told her. His tone was rich, deep, dominating.  
  
“Where’s Angie?”

He made no reply.

“W-what do you want from me?” Jena cautiously asked, trying to hide the trembling in her voice.

“I want all of you,” he murmured. “We were destined to be together since the beginning.”

“What the hell are you?” she said, glaring at him. Her tone suggested monster could easily be the descriptor.

Leveling his stare on her, he said in a sultry voice, “You know what I am. I’m your destiny.” His words rolled off the tip of his tongue like silk.

A chill slithered down her spine. She wanted to escape, but she yearned for the truth. “You’re the one who took Todd and Sophie’s life, aren’t you?”

A sinister grin formed his lips. “But I spared yours.” He sounded pleased. “I gave you a gift.”

Jena gritted her teeth. “You damned my soul.”

“You’re very courageous, Jena, in spite of your fear. I find it quite arousing.”

“Tell me your name, then,” she demanded.

With a powerful yearning flashing in his gleaming eyes, he whispered into her mind, “Jena, I am your beloved.”  

“I don’t believe you,” she cried out. “You’re lying!”

Just then, Jena felt a warm sensation closing all around her, searing all the way through her. Her entire body was shaking. She could hardly stand.

“You feel it, don’t you?” His voice was hypnotic. “It’s a part of me flowing through your veins.”

“No . . .”

“Don’t you see, Jena? I’ve given you eternal life.”

In the blink of an eye, he was upon her in an instant. Jena’s breath caught in her chest. She looked up at him and froze. His glowing eyes were on her throat, and they were burning with a passion that wasn’t just sexual. A dark, spicy scent came out of his skin in a rush. As she drew it in through her nose, she could feel his whole body shaking with restraint.

When he took her by the arm and pulled her against his body, the element of surprise shocked her into surrender. Although she was trembling, she freely tilted her head to the side while his lips moved slowly down the length of her neck. Her skin tingled at his touch, and a faint moan escaped her lips.

“You know you crave the taste of blood,” he said as her body felt the merciless, ravaging lust. “And your body aches for me.”

Jena found that she could not fight it anymore. His lips created wave after wave of desire everywhere they touched her. Taking his time, he kissed the throbbing pulse at her throat so tender, so teasing . . . so demanding. He made a noise in the back of his throat, a purr that rolled through his chest. Her strength was rapidly fading away, drifting in a swirl of heated and painful longing.

Overwhelmed by his boldness, she gasped as he swept her off her feet and scooped her into his arms. As he carried her across the room, it was as though he floated in mid-air, his feet never touching the floor. 

Carefully, he leaned her against a table, and stripped the robe off her, handling her as gently as he could while her body willfully submitted. As he positioned himself between her thighs, she could feel the hardness of him pressing against her.
Her breathing began to quicken.

“Look at me, Jena,” he said in a sensual, disembodied drawl.

As if he controlled her eyes, they obeyed and rose to meet his.

“You hunger for me.” His voice dropped deeper. “Don’t you, Jena?”

She briefly closed her eyes. For a split second, her defense went down. Dear god, she wanted him—No, she didn’t.

Yes, she did.  

He reached out with his mind and forced his way into hers. The vision in her subconscious was of him. And she was aching. She was aching for him.

“Yes,” she finally answered.

“Close your eyes.” His voice flowed like black satin.

As Jena closed them, she was caught off guard when he flipped her around. Her gasp was first one of shock, then one of ecstasy as he bent her over and splayed her legs apart. She felt his arousal against her core, the rigid length pressing in through the thin material of her panties. His hand found her breasts, then moved down to her stomach, and down lower to her hips. And down farther . . .

She cried out, arching her back as two sharp points suddenly ran up the column of her neck to the curve of her jaw. Anticipation and a needy sensation flooded her veins. He was the master of her body, the driver, the one controlling her emotions. And he knew exactly what he was doing to her.  
  
“I’m going to take what belongs to me,” he growled as he buried his hand into her long blonde hair and pulled back. As she gasped in pleasure, wetness bloomed within her.

She wanted this. She wanted him. “Please,” she pleaded, her eyes squeezed tight.  

He roughly positioned her neck to the side and exposed her throat. “Beg for me, Jena.” His tongue was warm and wet as it rode up her neck.

Jena opened her mouth, but could only pant.

He licked her throat again, and then gently nipped at her earlobe. She flinched at the delightful twinge. “Beg me now,” he demanded, tugging at her hair.

She nearly sobbed, so aroused she could barely speak. “Please, take me.”

Then Jena felt his palm grip her shoulder. As he pulled her upright, his hand moved up her throat, locked onto her chin, and tilted her head back.

“Soon,” he whispered softly into her ear. “You’ll be begging to be at my side.”

When Jena opened her eyes, she was shocked to find herself back in her hospital room, lying in her bed alone.

The hazy, but realistic images lingered and frustrated her like she’d lost her mind. As she sat up slowly, she was completely overwhelmed by the bizarre and unbelievable experience she’d just encountered. Looking around the dark room, she realized with dread that the whole thing had to have been a dream. Maybe her mind was just playing tricks on her. But the arousal she felt though? That was real. Was the mysterious man real or just a figment of my imagination? As she thought about it, she wasn’t sure what was real and what wasn’t anymore.

Jena inhaled a deep breath and smelled something delicious. Her stomach immediately roared. She followed the sweet aroma and noticed that there was a tray set up next to the bed. Lifting the silver lid off the platter was a plastic container of blood.       
Maybe this was all a horrible nightmare. She waited, praying she would wake up.

Instead, the crimson liquid that was in her dreams was now taunting with her sanity and her weaknesses. Jena closed her eyes and breathed in deep. Calm down. It’s just a dream, she tried to convince herself. But the hunger still rose deep in her gut for human blood.

Disgusted with herself, she scrambled out of bed, and hurried to the door. After Jena flipped on the light, she tried the knob, but found it wouldn’t turn. What? Someone had locked her inside.

Damn it, she cursed to herself. This is not a dream.

She panicked and banged on the door. “Please, is anyone there?” she cried out. “Open this door!”  

When the doorknob turned, she immediately stepped back as a stalky man, dressed in a uniform, peered inside and said, “Ma’am, is everything all right?” 

“T-the door,” Jena’s voice trembled in fear. “I-it was locked. I couldn’t get—”

The guard held up his hand in a reassuring gesture. “Ma’am, please, calm down. The door wasn’t locked.” He pointed to the knob. “See, there’s no lock on the outside.”

Jena looked at it confused, and then her eyes rose to meet the guards. “But, I swore it was locked.”

“It could have been jammed,” he told her. “Don’t worry, Miss. Everything is just fine. You’re safe. There are two of us posted outside your door twenty-four-seven.”   

Her brows furrowed. “No.” She shook her head. “That’s not true. I came out of my room not long ago, and there was no one here. No guards, no nurses, no one. I swear to you, the hospital looked vacant.”

“I’m sorry, Miss,” he reluctantly said. “We’ve been stationed outside your door since this morning, and all the hospital staff has been here as well. We were here when your visitor came to see you today.”

“Angie?” Jena cocked her head a little. “Did she come back later?”

“No, Ma’am. She hasn’t been back.”

Jena looked down, and stared hard at the floor. What good would it do to ask anything else or continue this conversation? The guard didn’t know what she knew, hadn’t seen the unexplainable things she’d seen. The reality of it all was simply too much for anyone to believe or comprehend.

“I am your destiny . . .”

His words—the stranger in her dreams—still haunted her.  
 
The room started to spin. Jena put her palm over her forehead, and stumbled back as the guard quickly reached out to steady her. “Ma’am, I think you should lie down. You don’t look well.”

With his hand tucked under her arm, Jena went along as he walked her to the bed. “Should I call for a nurse?”

“No, no,” she quickly replied, climbing into the bed. “I’ll be fine. Thank you.”

Then it suddenly dawned on her. The bag of blood! As she looked to the tray next to the bed, she saw nothing.

Oh god, what happened to it?

Jena’s eyes frantically searched around the small room. That blood had to be somewhere. It couldn’t have just disappeared. Someone must have taken it. But how? Her brain scrambled to come up with a practical explanation. It was here just a minute ago.  

“Did you or anyone else take a silver platter with a lid from my room?” she asked the guard.

He shook his head.

She nodded and slowly eased back against the pillows.

“Would you like me to leave a lamp on?” the guard asked her.

“Yes, please.”

When the guard stepped out of the room, Jena glanced desperately at her phone. She wanted to call Angie, but what good would that do? There was nothing her friend could do at the moment. Besides, she was coming to pick her up in the morning.

Frustrated, Jena let out a deep breath and closed her eyes, thinking she was beginning to lose the only bit of sanity she had left. “Please, God,” she prayed. “Give me strength.”  
 
To be continued . . .
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 



Book of the Month contest entry


NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. For reference to terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers. If you find anything that needs corrected, please let me know. Thanks!

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline gene is passed down to offspring that are born identical twins. Although they live among humans, their species are kept secret.
In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing deadly to the species.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong that if one dies, the other twin may pass on, especially if they don't have a mate.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When the male comes in contact with her, he instantly feels a simultaneous, desirable attraction and she becomes the most important thing in his life. He is there to love, protect, and cherish her until death. Once they are mated, they bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant, which is only formed with their species. The Covenant is governed and ruled by a head council. The council keeps their laws in order and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - Over centuries, the Breedline Covenant is ruled by a true queen. If there is no queen living, the Covenants are governed by an appointed head council until another one is born. A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. The queen is expected to rule over all the Breedline Covenants where she will be respected and obeyed by all Breedline. This is their absolute True Law.

THE QUEEN'S RING - This ring has been passed down to all Breedline queens for generations. When the new queen places the ring on, it instantly shifts in size to fit her finger.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have an ancient book of laws. If either sex disobeys the Breedline laws, they can be shunned, or no longer protected by their Covenant. If a Breedline takes another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will never have the ability to shift back into human form and cast out as a rogue wolf.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.