Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 14, 2019 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Jeff's final job is the most deadly of all.

A chapter in the book Debt Collector

The Ultimate Job

by Mistydawn


Jeff is told he can either help Bruno Bambini with his shady business or watch his family die a slow, painful death. How far will Jeff go to save the ones he loves?

Jeff has stolen a car and has been chased by the cops. He escapes from that only to be sent to another job. Jeff hears sirens in the middle of his illegal adventure. Setting the building on fire, he flees from the scene. Julie discovers an intruder in their house, which she manages to handle. Putting the pieces together, the Berryville PD are in pursuit of their suspect. Jeff was arrested and let go. He meets a mugger on the way home. After scaring off the mugger, Jeff turns towards Luigi, gun in hand.


Pulling her fluffy pink robe around herself, Julie yawns as she shuffles down their grand stairs. The beautiful staircase is one of the many things she loved about this old house. What she admired the most about her two-story Victorian is its large, spacious rooms.

Julie glances over at the array of family pictures elegantly arranged along the wall. A photo of them on their wedding day sits in the center; their daughter's pictures neatly surround their blessed event.

She gazes up at the crystal chandelier that elegantly lights the foyer; a beautiful memento of their honeymoon in Cancun. I had so much fun, she thinks as she continues on. She passes by their antique dining room table. Her grandmother gave them the beautiful heirloom on their wedding day.

Julie expects to see Jeff reading the morning paper when she steps into the kitchen, but finds the room deserted instead. Where would he'd go so early? Maybe he had some last minute business to tend to before we head to the zoo. The girls have been begging to see the new arrival for weeks. Something whacks her in the back of the head, knocking her to the floor.

"One down, two to go." George smiles, pulling the rope from his bag. He hears the pitter patter of tiny feet as he secures the last restraint in place. "This one should be easy." Grabbing Julie, he moves her out of the way.

A tousle-headed, brown hair, blue eyed, little girl steps through the door; her teddy bear by her side. "We're hungry, mommy," Abby replies. Mr. Teddy has been her breakfast buddy for well over a year.

Running over, George scoops up the preschooler in his arms. Abby screams. "Stop your damn yelling or else," he warns, glaring into her big brown eyes. Terrified, Abby quiets down.

"Please don't hurt us, mister, please," Abby begs as tears stream down her chubby cheeks.

"Do what I say and I won't, don't listen and you and your family will die."

Abby gulps. "I... I'll be good, I... I promise."

"That's what I want to hear."

***

Jeff roles over hoping to find a comfortable position, but falls to the dusty wood floor instead. "What the hell?" Wiping the sleep from his eyes, he quickly looks around. He sees two deer heads mounted on either side of the fireplace a Winchester high-wall in the center. He then notices a large, stuffed grizzly off to the side. "Why am I at Bambini's?" Last night events suddenly came to mind.

###

Ready to end the blackmailing, Jeff turns towards Luigi, loaded gun in hand. Jeff starts to squeeze the trigger when Bambini's threats echo in his head. Jeff glances at Luigi and then at his gun. I need to get the girls to safety before I make such a ballsy move. He reluctantly put his gun away.

"Bambini wants me to bring you to the house; said he has another job for you to do."

"Tonight, but.." Seeing the look on Luigi's face he stops midsentence. "Let's go," he sighs.

***

The important matter was concerning Bambini's oldest daughter, Adriana. One of his goons found her brutally beaten just outside their gate. They later discovered Antonio Hernandez was responsible for the savage attack.

"I want you to bring him to me, alive," Bambini orders through gritted teeth; anger surged through every inch of his body as he clenches and unclenches his fists. He wants to take care of the matter himself, but knows neither he or Luigi would make it out alive. 

Jeff didn't like the sound of this. A war between two rivals, someone is bound to end up dead. He glances at Luigi and then his boss. "I'm... I'm going to have help with this, right?"

You're on your own on this one, rookie." Luigi slaps him on the back; Jeff stumbles forward. Regaining his footing, he continues on. "My... My own, but I..."

"Do this for me and your debt will be paid in full, don't and well..."

"I know, I know."

The rest of the night was spent planning his attack.

I still don't think it'll work, despite what those two say. Jeff rubs the thick stubble blanketing his boyish face. He then combs his fingers through his short, tawny hair. It won't matter how I look in a few hours, he thinks, certain this wasn't going to go well.

Jeff scoops up his phone, hoping to see a reply. After his little standoff with Luigi, Jeff thought it'd be a good idea to get the girls somewhere safe. He texts Julie suggesting a visit with her parents but didn't get a reply. Still nothing, hmm, that's strange. It's really early, so, maybe she's still asleep.

Luigi taps on the door a couple of times before he enters the room. "Thought you might need this." He tosses Jeff a shaving kit. "The maid has some fresh clothes for you in the bathroom and your car is right outside."

"Thanks." I think.

***

Joe and Rachel trudge into the station, exhausted from the night before. It was nearly one in the morning before the manager decided to show, claiming Bambini had a few extra chores.

It's pretty quiet this morning, Joe thinks as he Zigzags around the desks.

The small squad room houses several departments, each separated by a thin white partition; the patrol unit in the center.

"Morning, Sergeant, Rachel," Jerry says, glancing up from his desk.

"What's so good about it?" Joe grumbles as he stomps his large, brawny frame across the room.

"What's wrong with him?" Jerry questions.

"We had a very long night."

"Oh." He winks.

"Not that, Jerr." She playfully smacks his arm. "We didn't finish up with the manager until nearly three am."

"Really, what did he have to say?"

"He said Jeff never visited the restaurant and that Bambini threatened to kill him if he didn't lie. He also gave us a little Intel on Bambini and his shady business."

"So, your suspicions about Jeff was right all along."

"Just like I was all the times before." Plopping her feet on the desk, she places her folded hands behind her head as she leans back in her chair. A cocky, I told you so smile spreads across her face.

"Not getting a big head over there, are you?" He smiles.

"Me, never." She leans further back, the chair continues to tilt, sending her to the floor.

"Grace is at it again." Jerry chuckles. He nicknamed her grace because she's so accident prone.

Rachel glares at her partner.

Jerry laughs again. "Does Joe want us to pick him up?"

"He wants to hold off until he can get enough evidence to tie him and Bambini together."

***

Jeff is driving through the historic division on his way to meet Luigi. He'd called saying he wanted to discuss the plan.

Glancing around Jeff sees grand Victorians on either side of the street. The beautiful dwellings date back to the early twentieth century when Eureka Springs first began.

An olive complected girl glances up from her sandbox as he cruises by. Her bright, pink outfit brings out the gold specks in her almond-shaped eyes. Her long dark hair is gathered at the nape of her neck, secured with a hot-pink bow. Cute kid, he thinks, as he continues on. Seeing Luigi outside his car Jeff pulls up beside him.

"Our plans have changed," Luigi says as Jeff approaches.

"Changed, how?" he asks hoping, it's been called off.

"Did you see the little girl in the yard?"

"What about her?"

"You need to use her to lure Antonio to your car."

"I'm not using a child as bait."

"It's what Bambini wants."

"I don't give a damn what he wants, I'm not putting his child in harm's way." He steps away, Luigi grabs his arm to stop him. Jeff clenches his fist as he spins around. "What."

"Maybe this will change your mind," Luigi hands Jeff a phone. "Boss wants to make sure you'll carry out his plan."

Jeff first sees Abby secured to their kitchen chair, tears streaming down her sweet little face. He then notices Julie motionless on the kitchen floor. "You killed her, you killed Julie," he cries.

"Not yet, but we will if you don't do what you're told."

***

Characters
Jeff Donaldson, the man forced to commit crimes to save his family
Julie Donaldson, Jeff's wife
Abby, Rebecca Donaldson, Jeff and Julie's girls
Luigi Ricci, Bruno Bambini's goon
Bruno Bambini, kingpin.


Berryville PD
Joe, sergeant
Rachel, detective
Jerry, detective,
Sharon, ME, head of forensics



























































 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.