General Non-Fiction posted June 7, 2019 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Continuation of my adventures.

A chapter in the book My Life

Disaster

by aryr



Background
An ongoing unblog of our adventures as full time RVers.
I am back with the next entry. Most of December was at a premium campground were we enjoyed a great Christmas and a wonderful New Years. January 2nd brought us to just outside of Shreveport, Louisiana. I do believe the park was about twenty-five miles from the city, which was actually split by the river- Shreveport on one side and Bossier City on the other. The little community of Minden was only six miles away. The park itself was bare bones, full hook ups, laundromat, two shower/toilet rooms.

We were there for three weeks before Jim's return trip to Houston for the camper repairs, which took the week. You guessed it, another week in a hotel with the dog and cat. Finally, we made it back to the campground. Trust me it was the best of the best, the others we saw I was afraid to stay in during the day and Jim was concerned about doing so. Now of course, I always check prior to going to a state about the gun laws and shooting invaders.

Two things I noticed- the road seriously need repair (will get back to that one shortly) and there was a lot of rain, every day there was rain. Sometimes just for a couple of hours in the morning or overnight and other times for days on end. For three months I wore my rubber boots when I went out, the first time I wore normal shoes I was in shock.

Then in late March disaster struck, remember those bumpy roads, well one Saturday morning, I woke with a stiff neck/kink, over the next seventy-two hours it progressed from a stiff neck to shoulder pain and numbness in my arm. The kind of numbness one has when a foot or leg has gone to sleep and is waking up. Off we went to the Minden hospital, where they were unable to do any imaging but gave me a shot for pain and to relax muscles. They also provided a week worth of pills for both and a referral to a neurologist in Shreveport. The next day I called and arranged an appointment in nine days. I saw the PA who prescribed low dose prednisone twice a day for five days- a real treat for my diabetes and physical therapy twice a week. I had two weeks to wait for the MRI, then a few days to see the neurologist.

Because I had had a laminectomy (neck) twenty years ago, there was a concern about new damage and I jokingly ask if I could sue the state because the roads were so bad. The doctor laughed and shook his head 'no'. I gradually saw a slight improvement with the therapy.

Then a second disaster. Jim decided that he needed a visit to an urgent care for sinusitis and he was correct. However, when the nurse gave him his IM needle of cortisone, she must have hit either a nerve or a vein, he got up off the bed and passed out. Needless to say, he called me because they were preparing to stitch up his lip, I got the call since I was waiting in the car with my pillows. I managed to drive us home, all eighteen miles. Then the next day we went to a dentist, then an orthodontist, because of a loose tooth. At least we now have deductions for taxes next year. lol.

Back to me, the MRI showed regular wear and tear, but no new damage and I was advised that eventually things would get better. As I sit here, two months and two weeks after the initial stiff neck I have regained the almost normal use of my arm. I still have tingling in my index finger and the next one, but it is less than I started out with. I used a tens unit and neck traction, but I did have a script for PT if needed. We relocated to Georgia late April and I managed the drive here by doing it over three days instead of one long, long day.

Jim in the meantime, survived his stitched lip, the tooth has settled and through all of this he even taught a class of new employees while in Louisiana. We have had enough adventure for a couple of months.

(Next entry will be about our Florida visit for his daughter's college graduation)


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.