Supernatural Fiction posted June 2, 2019 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE IMMORTAL

Rogue Wolf

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my fifth Novel of the Breedline series. Please let me know if you see any corrections that are needed. This is still in the working stages. Enjoy!
Previously . . .

After an age-old creature—buried deep in the ground—rises from years of peaceful slumber to feast on humans, it attacks Jena McCain—a young artist who has the ability to speak with the dead—and infects her with the Rougarou curse. As the virus spreads through her body, Jena must resist her newly found urges for human blood for one hundred and one days. If she succumbs to the blood lust, she will be become the thing that has cursed her.    

Now that the creature is hunting humans, and infected an innocent young girl, God tasks Lailah—a battle angel gifted with the power of holy fire—with an important mission. She must take the Fury and Sebastian back to earth for the sole purpose of destroying this savage creature.  

Desperate to find the red-headed angel, Roman confides in his closest friend Lawrence. After Roman explains to his friend about bonding with the angel, Lawrence tells him about his sister’s secret and how she could help locate the angel.

When Lawrence takes Roman to speak with his sister, Melanie—who was a guardian angel in her past life—she discovers the angel Roman is searching for is in love with him as well. But to her surprise, Melanie shockingly finds out there is a creature killing humans, and the battle angels are coming back to earth to try to destroy it, bringing with them the Fury and Sebastian. As she explains this to Roman and Lawrence, she also tells them about the human that’s been bitten and cursed by the creature.   

While Roman and Lawrence head back to the Covenant to relay the news about the creature, they come across a woman standing in the middle of the road. When they approach her, she appears injured as though she’s been in a car accident. After they help her, they find out her name is Tara Hood and that her and her boyfriend Brandon was just attacked by the same mysterious, wolfish creature that attacked and bit Jena McCain in the Salem Cemetery. When they discover that Brandon is dead, they decide to take Tara to the Covenant for her safety.       


Continued . . .

When Detective Manuel Sanchez got out from behind the wheel of his unmarked car, the morning sun was unmercifully bright. As he covered his eyes with a pair of Ray-Bans, he felt the vibration of his phone. He retrieved it from his back pocket and recognized the caller ID. It was the head of the Breedline Covenant, Tim Ross. Shit!

He checked his watch, noticing it was a little after eight o’clock, which meant the fun was just getting started. In about fifteen minutes, he and his partner, Detective Frank Perkins, were supposed to meet with their captain—who would skin their asses if they showed up a minute late—to go over Jena McCain’s case. Captain James Hodge was not a man who took kindly to tardiness.

Manuel looked up at Frank and said, “Go on ahead. I’ll meet you there in a few. I’ve got to take this call.”

“What do you want me to tell the captain?”

“Hell, I don’t know.” Manuel shrugged. “Tell’em I’m in the shitter.”

Frank nodded and headed toward the station while Manuel stayed back to take the call.

“Detective Sanchez,” he answered.

“Detective, this is Tim Ross. Can we talk, off the record?”

“Yeah,” Manuel replied, leaning back against the car. “I’ve got a few minutes.”

“We had another incident last night, similar to Ms. McCain’s.”

“Shit!” Manuel stood alert and then asked, “Any survivors?”

“Her name is Tara Hood,” Tim said. “Roman and Lawrence happened to come across the accident in the nick of time, but her boyfriend wasn’t so lucky. He was ripped to pieces just like the couple in the cemetery.”

Manuel heaved a heavy sigh. “So, did they actually get a look at this thing?” 

“No,” Tim replied. “I guess it got spooked when Lawrence and Roman showed up.”

“I take it they didn’t call this one in,” Manuel prompted.

After a few seconds of silence, Tim finally said, “Detective, this is way over your department’s head. We took Ms. Hood to the Covenant where she’s safe. She suffered a few broken ribs and a nasty cut to the forehead. She’s lucky to be alive. Helen is taking care of her injuries. I’m also having Ms. McCain transported here when she’s released from the hospital. It’s crucial that we watch over her as well. I believe Ms. McCain is not only in danger, but she could possibly be dangerous to others.”

“And why’s that?”

“Trust me, Detective,” Tim reluctantly said. “It’s a bit of an odd story. I’ll explain later in person.”

“What about the body?” Manuel asked, the cop in him coming out.

“We’ve got the body stashed in the Covenant’s mortuary.”

“You have your own funeral home?”

“Let’s just say,” Tim briefly paused, “we’re prepared for just about anything.”

“You got an ID on the victim?”

“His name is Brandon Coghill. He and Ms. Hood lived out on highway 59, about two miles from the scene.”   
 
“I’ll want to ask Ms. Hood a few questions as soon as possible,” Manuel said, checking his watch. “And I want to hear this odd story regarding Ms. McCain. Right now, I’ve got a meeting with my captain in five. I’ll call you—” He paused when he caught sight of a news reporter moving in his direction. Beneath his unshaven jaw, a muscle worked in aggravation. “Damn it!”

“Is something wrong, Detective?”

“Damn reporters,” Manuel grumbled into the phone. “They’re probably after Ms. McCain’s story. I gotta go. I’ll be in touch.”

He started to walk away, but a TV news reporter with a camera crew blocked his path.

“Detective Sanchez,” said a nerdy reporter sporting coke bottle eyeglasses, a navy blue suit, and a matching pinstriped tie. “I’m from the Mercury News. Do you have a few minutes to answer some questions about the Salem Cemetery murders?”

When he didn’t answer, the reporter pushed it, taking one step closer toward Manuel. “Can you give us an update on how the girl is doing that survived the attack?”

“No,” Manuel gritted out, his eyes narrowing to slits.

Sensing the aggravated tone of Manuel’s voice and the stone-cold look on his face, the reporter took a few steps back.

“What do you think about the girl’s statement?” the reporter asked, further irritating Manuel. “Do you really think she saw a werewolf?”    
   
Manuel removed his sunglasses and glared at the reporter with such intensity that for the smallest second he wondered if the detective was going to throw a punch.

“Our sources tell us the victims at the crime scene were torn apart, and one of them was half-eaten. What do you think, Detective? The public deserves to know the truth.” He held the microphone closer to Manuel’s face. “Are the police searching for a man or is there some kind of wild animal on the loose?” 
  
Manuel took a step forward, towering over the reporter, imposing and seething. “This case is not up for questions.” His temper sparked and he couldn’t help but add, “Take your camera crew and get the hell out of here.” 
    
The reporter drew a breath and lowered the mic. He wanted to ask one more question, but instead, backed up a step, his lips forming into a thin line.

Manuel pointed a finger right at the reporter’s chest and said, “Let’s just make something clear right now. I don’t want to see you or your cameras here again.”
         
The reporter shrank back as Manuel pushed past the camera crew and headed for the entrance to the station.

With his mind focused on Captain Hodge’s office, Manuel started down the hall when he heard shouts as two officers led a guy in handcuffs toward the conference room. As Manuel stopped and cast a glance in their direction, the suspect glared at him and shouted, “What the hell are you lookin’ at, pig?”

One of the detectives that were guiding the guy said something back, but Manuel didn’t hear it. Whatever he’d muttered was effective as the shaved head scumbag immediately shut up. He was a witness in the Benedetti crime family, who had been trafficking guns, drugs, and prostitution for generations. His name was Jimmy Fratianno III, grandson of the late Aladino “Jimmy the Weasel” Fratianno. Three years ago, they brought him in on cocaine and heroin transportation charges. Captain Hodge had offered him a deal in trade for a bigger fish. If Jimmy gave up the names of his connections, it could take five years off his sentence.    

When Manuel turned around, his partner was motioning him over.

“Get your ass in gear, Detective,” Frank told him. “You’ve got exactly thirty seconds before captain rips you a new one.”

“Keep your pants on. I’m coming.” Manuel was about to start for the door when he heard a shotgun go off.

He instantly ducked. “What the f—”   

In the corner of his eye, Manuel caught sight of his partner’s torso twist like a rope. Frank went with the force of the blast, spinning to the ground with his hand covering his shoulder.

Moving fast and low, Manuel got Frank the hell out of the way, managing to take cover behind a desk in case the shooter was ready for round two.

“Stay down,” Manuel told Frank as he quickly took stock of his injury. It was nothing too serious. Fortunately, it was just a graze.

Frank winced. “It burns like a son-of-a-bitch.”

Manuel slipped out of his jacket and pressed it against Frank’s wound. “Oh hell, Perkins,” Manuel grumbled quietly. “Suck it up. You’re gonna be fine. The slug barely grazed you. It’s bleeding like a sieve, but it’ll slow if you keep pressure on it.”

As Frank held the jacket over his wound, Captain Hodge shot around the corner on his hands and knees like a bat out of hell.

“What the hell is going on?” Hodge demanded. Then his eyes honed in on Frank’s bloody shoulder. “Shit! You all right, Detective?”

Frank nodded. “It’s just a flesh wound, Captain.”

Hodge let out a heavy sigh. “Did either of you get a look at the shooter?”

With his eyes locked on the captain’s, Manuel shook his head. “No, but I think I have a pretty good idea who the asshole is,” he said to Hodge, and added, “Jimmy Fratianno.”

Hodge checked his watch, realizing it was time for Mr. Fratianno’s deposition. “Shit,” he cursed through gritted teeth. “I almost forgot about the damn Beneditti case.”

“Yah,” Manuel said. “Jimmy was supposed to give up those names, but it looks like he suddenly had a change of heart.”

“For Chrissakes,” Frank chimed in. “How in the hell did he manage get his hands on a damn shotgun?”

Manuel reached for his Colt .45 and kept his voice low, “I don’t know, but I’m gonna find out. Captain, stay here with Frank. I’m going in.”

Captain Hodge nodded in agreement. “Head around the back,” he said as he put a hand on his holster that held a Glock 40 caliber. “I’ll cover you from the rear.”  
 
With his weapon in hand, Manuel slipped out from behind the desk and made a run for it while Hodge covered his back.

Craaack! The blast from a shotgun split the silence and hit Hodge’s office door, sending wood splintering into pieces.

Blam! Blam! Blam! Captain Hodge immediately fired back.

Shit! Manuel cursed as he swung around a corner and flattened himself against the wall. Then, more shots fired. Thinking quickly, he jogged down a narrow hallway, past several armed officers who were crouched behind their desks, and came to the backside of the conference room. When he peered around the corner, he saw the two detectives from earlier, lying on the floor, appearing unconscious. Beside them was Jimmy’s attorney. Blood pooled on the floor beneath him.

As Manuel looked away, he saw Jimmy Fratianno, setting up, taking aim at the desk where his captain and partner took cover.

“Jimmy!” Manuel yelled before he could fire off another shot. 

Jimmy heard his name and turned just in time to see Manuel, a semi-automatic in his grasp, and the barrel aimed in his direction.

“Drop your weapon, now!” Manuel ordered.

In that instant, Jimmy knew it was over. He turned to fire his weapon. In that nanosecond before he pulled the trigger, Manuel unloaded his.

It seemed as though everything moved in slow motion. He watched as Jimmy’s body took the impact, and the shotgun flung from his hand. Blood spurted from his head and torso like a crimson geyser as he toppled to the floor. 
 
Manuel moved next to Jimmy’s body with his weapon drawn and kicked the shotgun away. As he crouched down to check for a pulse, something strange happened.

Straining muscles rippled beneath Jimmy’s face, while the tendons in his neck stood out like thick cable. Then, one by one, the gunshot wound in his left temple and chest contracted, disgorging the embedded fragments. The bloody bullets clattered onto the floor, and rolled across the tile toward Manuel’s boots. 

“What the—”

In the blink of an eye, Jimmy’s body began to expand, like something within him was overtaking his natural form. As his orange prison jumpsuit came apart at the seams, coarse black fur sprouted from his pale skin, covering the two bullet holes and various prison tats throughout his body. 
  
Manuel’s eyes widened in alarm as he finally became fully aware of what was happening. He raised his gun, but the snarling creature swatted it away with a sweep of its massive paw. Knocked off balance by the force of Jimmy’s newfound transformation, Manuel staggered backward. 
  
As the wolfish beast stalked toward Manuel on all fours, police officers swarmed forward with their guns raised. When the creature heard the distinctive sounds of rifles cocking, it stopped in its tracks and growled. The rogue wolf in Jimmy wanted nothing more than to lunge for Manuel’s throat, regardless of the odds against him, but his keen mind realized that, even with his supernatural strength, he could very well be at a severe disadvantage if their weapons were loaded with silver.

Searching for an escape route, its glowing eyes seized on one of the windows. The hideous beast growled at Manuel one last time, then sprang through the window. Glass shattered and rained down onto the floor with the force of the monstrous impact. Police officers shouted and opened fire, missing the mysterious creature by mere inches.

Damn it! Manuel watched in disbelief as some sort of werewolf managed to escape a precinct full of armed men and women.    

But did it really matter? He thought. Whatever Jimmy Fratianno was, the son of a bitch somehow survived a bullet to the head, not to mention the one that hit him square in the heart. The question was; did Jimmy’s transformation have anything to do with the creature they were after? It couldn’t be the same one, Manuel figured. Jimmy Fratianno had been behind bars during all the recent attacks. It was bad enough having to deal with one freak of nature. Now there were two? Shit!  
  
To be continued . . .
 
 

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. For reference to terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers. If you find anything that needs corrected, please let me know. Thanks!

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline gene is passed down to offspring that are born identical twins. Although they live among humans, their species are kept secret.
In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing deadly to the species.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong that if one dies, the other twin may pass on, especially if they don't have a mate.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When the male comes in contact with her, he instantly feels a simultaneous, desirable attraction and she becomes the most important thing in his life. He is there to love, protect, and cherish her until death. Once they are mated, they bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant, which is only formed with their species. The Covenant is governed and ruled by a head council. The council keeps their laws in order and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - Over centuries, the Breedline Covenant is ruled by a true queen. If there is no queen living, the Covenants are governed by an appointed head council until another one is born. A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. The queen is expected to rule over all the Breedline Covenants where she will be respected and obeyed by all Breedline. This is their absolute True Law.

THE QUEEN'S RING - This ring has been passed down to all Breedline queens for generations. When the new queen places the ring on, it instantly shifts in size to fit her finger.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have an ancient book of laws. If either sex disobeys the Breedline laws, they can be shunned, or no longer protected by their Covenant. If a Breedline takes another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will never have the ability to shift back into human form and cast out as a rogue wolf.

ROGUE WOLF - A Breedline shunned by their Covenant for taking another life out of revenge or evil and forced to live as a wolf until death without the ability to change into human form again. Some rogue wolves form into packs, which can be dangerous for other Breedline species.

RED (BLOOD) MOON - When the full moon passes through the amber shadow of the earth, producing a midnight eclipse visible across North America. So begins a lunar eclipse tetrad, a series of four consecutive total eclipses occurring at approximately six-month intervals. This incredible light beams into the heart of earth's shadow, filling it with a coppery glow and transforming the moon into a great red orb. During this time, all Breedline species that are mated have a strong desire to create an offspring. This is also a time when Breedline females are more fertile for the conception of twins.

CHIANG-SHIH DEMON (Kiang shi, a.k.a. Ramael Arminius) - An ancient demon that inhabits the body of a Breedline fetus before it's born or during a Breedline's death. It continues to take the soul over the natural lifespan of the child, or the deceased Breedline. When the demon possesses a fetus, it breaks the bonding and telepathic abilities of their twin when they are born. If the demon possesses a deceased Breedline's body, it must do so before the soul passes on. If the soul is not intact, the body will soon die.
In most cases, the Chiang-Shih demon will take the life of the other twin, even before their birth. The twin that is born with the demon will bring only evil to whomever they encounter. Their sole purpose is to gain full control of another soul and seek world domination.
There are two ways the demon is cast from the soul it possesses: by its first-born son, and the Angel of Mercy, Zadkiel. The Beast is the only one who can kill a Chiang-Shih demon.

THE BEAST - He is the second born son of the Chiang-Shih demon. When provoked into a rage, he will shift into his Beast instead of his Breedline wolf. The Beast is an enormous, dangerous two-footed creature that has wolf like features. One bite has enough venom to kill the Chiang-Shih demon and leave the soul of the person the demon possessed unharmed.

SHADOW WALKER (a.k.a. Shadow Figure, or Black Mass) - The perception of a patch of shadow as a living, humanoid figure, particularly interpreted by the Breedline as the presence of a malevolent entity. When a Breedline species dies and does not pass on to the other side, they are left to roam the earth as a shadow of themselves - a ghost. They will not pass on until they have settled unfinished business before their death.

ZADKIEL (Tzadqiel, a.k.a. 'Righteousness of God') - The archangel of freedom, benevolence, and mercy, and the patron angel of all who forgives. Breedline species tradition considers him to be the Angel of Mercy.

SUCCUBUS (a.k.a. CREEPERS) - Creatures that search for and feeds off the blood of the Breedline species. Creepers are skilled at extreme sexual pleasure, and the ecstasy they create is exceedingly intense and highly addictive. They cast off a scent that hypnotizes Breedlines into overwhelming sexual urges. They use their human-like bodies and beautiful features to control and influence their thoughts.
They have the ability to reach into the Breedline's mind during sleep, casting a spell of dreams about sexual contact or intercourse. One much less obvious manifestation of Creepers is nightmares - realistic, graphic, terrifying nightmares that rob the Breedline of sleep. Over a period, it can lead to severe fatigue and depression, leaving them emotionally and spiritually drained. Death can occur if they ultimately take over the Breedline's body.

HALF-BREED - This species is born with the genes from both Breedline and succubus. They can bond with either a full-blood Breedline or another half-breed. They cannot change into the Breedline wolf, but they do need blood from them to survive. With the power to hypnotize, most Breedlines have minimal respect and credence toward the half-breed species.

WICCA (or Wise One) - According to the Breedline species, a Wicca is the goddess of magic, witchcraft, the night, moon, ghosts, and necromancy. A Wicca is also considered to be a demonic spirit. It is unclear to the Breedline if they act under the orders of the devil, or they are simply not understood and treated as outcasts. They can do white magic (good) or dark (evil).

THERIOMORPH - This species is born with the genes of a Breedline, but cannot change into a Breedline wolf. They shape shift into an enormous black panther. They possess powers of mind manipulation and random visions of the future. They must use the drug dopamine to suppress their urges. Their eye color shifts into a bright lavender when their Theriomorph nature takes over. The Breedline see them as a threat to their species.

ADALWOLF - A species that has the power to shift from their human form into a beautiful creature, twice the size, resembling half man and half wolf. Born with super-strength, they can move from one place to another in supernatural speed. Their eyes take on the appearance of two shimmering diamonds. With the power to regenerate their own cells, an Adalwolf will stop aging at thirty. The moon has no power over them. An Adalwolf is immune to silver. They can bond with any species.

LUPA - The ancestors descended from the old legend of the lycanthrope, except the moon has no power over them and it cannot be passed on to others like a virus. It is passed on through genetics to the female offspring, known as a she-wolf. This type of creature shape-shifts into a therianthropic hybrid wolf-like creature, and is considered dangerous... cursed.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - Raised by a single mother, Manuel never knew his real father. At age thirteen, his older sister Lailah, was murdered, but her killer was never apprehended. Consumed by Lailah's murder, Manuel chooses a career in police enforcement in hopes of someday finally bringing justice to his sister. Now in his fifties - living his life as a bachelor and a homicide detective - he discovers he's not entirely human, and has inherited his father's Breedline genetics.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner, and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Captain James Hodge - He is Detective Manuel Sanchez and Detective Frank Perkins superior at the San Francisco, California Police Department.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and head council of the California Covenant. Angel, his bonded mate - who is a half-breed - has Tim's daughter they named Natalie, after her sister.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil. Hired as a bodyguard for Valkin Steele - a billionaire funding a group of unethical scientist's research - he later learns of Steele's underground sex-trafficking and illegal drug and weapons trade, and informs the Breedline Covenant. He also forms a team of Breedline soldiers who work for a private Special Ops group contracted by the military for missions that no one else can or will do to help put an end to Valkin Steele's corrupt organization.

Lawrence Colbert - A Breedline council member of the New Jersey Covenant, trained in military tactics and as a medic who worked alongside Roman Kincaid, the Special Ops Team, and the Breedline Covenant to help take down Valkin Steele.

Dr. Helen Carrington - She is a Breedline species and a physician at the California Bates Hospital for both Breedlines and humans. Later, she discovers Jace and Jem carry a gene, possibly used for a cure to stop the aging process in her species. After Alexander's demon is banished, he is pardoned for all past crimes and welcomed into the Breedline Covenant. When he meets Helen, they become bonded mates.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.