Romance Fiction posted June 2, 2019 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
MaKenzie discovered what was in the package.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 6 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't want to believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat
Ending of Previous Post:

When McKenzie finished showering, she saw Logan looking at the Super Bee. "What you doing?"

"Thought I'd get a head start on checking the car. It was that or tap my foot." Logan grinned. "It looks clear."

McKenzie unlocked the door. "Get in."

At her townhouse, McKenzie walked up the sidewalk. "That's strange. There's a package, only I didn't order anything."

Logan grabbed her arm. "Don't touch it." He called nine-one-one and reported it. "They're sending the police."

"I doubt that's necessary."

"I don't."


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 6 PART 2

After the bomb squad deemed the package safe, a police officer opened it. Inside lay a dead rat.

McKenzie covered her mouth. "Who? Why?" She turned her head as she heard her name called and then ran into Bill's waiting arms.

Bill nodded at Logan, but asked, "Mac, what's going on?"

McKenzie remained silent.

"You can see the obvious." Logan paused. "Yesterday, my friend came by and confirmed Mac was drugged, GHB, and more than a single dose. Did you ever get any answers from our visit Wednesday?"

"Marcie Kirks doesn't exist. Still trying to figure out what that's about. And too many black crossovers to narrow down. So no."

"Whoever is trying to scare me is doing a great job. They know where I live."

"They do," confirmed Bill.

"Is there a safe place she can keep her car? It sticks out like a sore thumb." Logan's eyes met Bill's.

"Yes, my garage. There's plenty of extra room." Bill faced McKenzie. "You can come visit it anytime you want."

"How am I going to get around? I can't use a taxi for surveillance." McKenzie crossed her arms.

"I'm here." Logan set his jaw. "I'll take you wherever you need to go. Besides after this, you're crazy if you think you're going to be left alone. I'm not allowing you to be murdered."

"But..."

"But nothing," interrupted Logan.

"He's right, Mac. Somebody's definitely trying to scare you, at a minimum. They're probably trying to hurt you or worse. Until we find out which it is, somebody needs to remain with you. If you don't want Logan, I'll have a police detachment assigned to you. Take your pick."

"This is overkill." McKenzie brushed a stray strand of hair from her face. "I have plenty of security inside. Nobody's going to get by Edger."

"Stats show all somebody has to do is throw the dog a steak." Logan's eyes met hers.

"I'm getting tired of you taking over my life." McKenzie walked away.

Bill shook his head. "She's a stubborn one." His phone rang. "Give her time to calm down. Excuse me. I need to take this." He stepped away. After he hung up, he stood beside McKenzie. "I need to get back to the office. Joanie expects to see you Saturday evening for dinner. Is six-thirty all right?" After she nodded, he continued, "Give Logan a chance. I think he's trying to help."

"He's trying to take charge."

Biting his lip, Bill's attempt not to grin failed. "Mac, give him a chance." He kissed her forehead. "See you Saturday evening. I'll tell Joanie you'll be bringing your car by later today." He left.

McKenzie watched Bill walk away and then proceeded down the sidewalk in the opposite direction.

Logan followed but stayed a distance away.

After they had walked two blocks, McKenzie faced him. "How long are you going to follow me?"

"As long as I need to. If necessary, forever. I'm not going to allow you to get yourself killed." Logan started to take a step, but stopped himself.

"What if..."

"I wasn't here for Megan," interrupted Logan. "I am here for you. You're stuck with me. Get used to it." He took a deep breath. "I can be very persistent. Where are we walking to?"

"I'm hungry. Donuts sound good. I haven't visited Julie this week." She turned and walked.

"We have some left over from last night. Or I could make you a healthy breakfast."

McKenzie faced him. "There you are being bossy, again. Maybe I just want a donut. If you're going to be hanging around, you might want to learn to eat an occasional donut."

"A donut it is. Do they have coffee?"

"Yes." McKenzie motioned for him to catch up. "You know I can take care of myself, don't you?"

"I saw that today. You're very good." Logan grinned. "I was impressed. I wouldn't want you angry with me." They stood in front of the bakery. Logan reached for the doorknob.

McKenzie touched his arm. "I think a healthy breakfast might taste good."

"No donuts?"

"We have some left over. Maybe they'll be a good breakfast dessert."

*****
When they returned to McKenzie's townhouse, the police had just finished.

McKenzie walked to the porch. "Can we go inside?"

"I don't see why not," replied an officer. He glanced around. "Anything else we can help with?"

"I don't think so. Thank you." McKenzie went inside and calmed both dogs.

Logan followed. "What do we do now?"

"Don't know. I guess we eat and continue our day as normal. I'm not going to let this guy stop me."

Opening the refrigerator, Logan grabbed some eggs, onions, sweet peppers, and spinach. "After we eat, we can take the car to Bill's. What time is your meeting with Megan's teacher friend?"

"Two o'clock. I don't think you should be there."

"I agree. She may not be as open with Megan's brother listening. The bartender wasn't there yesterday. He had the day off. I'll drop you off and then stop by the pub."

"Sounds good." McKenzie went to her desk. "I'm going to review some old files and see if I can find somebody who wants to intimidate me." She glanced at Logan. "A rat would indicate somebody thinks I've told on them, right?"

"Usually. Any ideas who might think you ratted them out?" Logan cracked the eggs. "Are scrambled eggs and fruit okay?"

She nodded. "Yes. I guess technically any of the husband/wife cheating cases, but nothing that would cause this extreme behavior."

"Did it cause anybody to have to pay a large divorce settlement?"

"Good question. I'd need to do some further research into that."

Logan glanced at his ringing cell. That's strange. I don't recognize the number. He took it outside. "Hello." He listened. "Yes, Bill. What question?" Again he listened. "No, we haven't discussed overnight. She just started talking to me, again. I don't think I'd better press my luck, right now." Silence. "Sure, I'll let you know when I find out. How'd you get my number?" He laughed. "Of course, Dad. I'll get back to you when I have an answer." He added Bill's number to his cell.

When Logan returned to the kitchen, McKenzie asked, "Who was it?"

"Dad. He wanted to know when we were coming to dinner."


Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou is an area name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.




Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of a dead rat in a coffin. This post is a little over a 1000 words. Again, thank you for your wonderful support.
My 15 year old granddaughter is here visiting until the 13th. I am totally enjoying her company.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.