Mystery and Crime Fiction posted May 24, 2019 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Jeff's entire outlook changes.

A chapter in the book Debt Collector

Brutal Interegation

by Mistydawn


Dragging his suspect into the interrogation room, Joe tosses him in a chair. The furniture tips sideways; Jeff falls to the floor. Scooping him up, the sergeant tries again.

Rearranging himself in the seat, Jeff anxiously glances around. The furnishings consist of a table and two chairs. There's a mirror in front of him, a barred window to his right. The flickering light above him adds to the nervy feel.

The sergeant circles around him, hoping to intimidate. Being six foot eight of pure muscle, this tactic often works. He leans across the table and glares into Jeff's eyes. "Where were you yesterday around noon, huh, where?" Joe moves in closer.

"I want a lawyer." Jeff stammers.

"They'll just drag it out, but if you tell us where you were, we can verify it and you can go home. Unless you're keeping something from me." Jeff looks away. "What are you hiding boy, huh, what?" Joe pounds his fist on the table.

Jeff springs back in his seat; his cuffs clink against the metal furnishings. "Nothing."

"So, where were you then?" Jeff squirms around. "You better speak up before I toss you in a cell"  He's mere inches from Jeff's face. Seeing the fear in his suspect's eyes, Joe decides to elaborate. "They're all monsters in there, animals, and they wouldn't think twice about beating the shit out of you."

"Monsters?"

"Cold, heartless beasts." Jeff wrings his hands trying to decide what to do. Joe taps his watch. "Clock's ticking." The detective circles him again.

I could tell him what Bambini told me.

Joe grabs his arm. "Time's up."

"No... No, wait, stop, I'll tell you." Jeff pulls away from his grip.

Joe taps his foot on the floor. "I'm waiting."

Jeff glances at the door. I wish my lawyer would get here.

"Let's go." Joe reaches for him.

"Ok, ok, I'll tell you." He looks towards the entryway again.

"Spit it out."

"I was at the firm all day, except when I took my client to lunch."

"What time?"

"Around noon, at Bambini's."

"Can anyone verify this?"

"My waiter can."

"Do you remember his name?"

"No."

"Describe him."

"He's a tall guy with dark, black hair and brown eyes."

"You just described half of their employees."

I know. Jeff tries to contain a smile. "That's all I can remember."

"Did he have any tattoos or birthmarks?"

"I didn't pay attention."

"Who was with you?"

"Just me and the client. Can I call my attorney now?"

"Don't bother." A distinguished gentleman strolls into the room. He's a large man in size and stature. He carries himself in such a way that exhibits both prestige and success. "I'd like a few moments with my client before we begin." He plops his briefcase on the table and then turns towards Joe.

"I'll be outside when you're ready." He was about to confess, Joe thinks as he trudges towards the door.

"My name's Mr. Mancini, Bambini hired me to represent you."

"I'm so glad you're here."

"What did you tell the police?"

"I told them that I met with a client yesterday afternoon."

"Good, now tell them you had to cut it short, so you met at the same restaurant at 8:30 and stayed until it closed."

"Someone will vouch for me?"

"Yes. Don't elaborate any further unless I tell you otherwise." The attorney taps on the glass.

"Are you ready to talk?" Joe asks as he steps into the room.

"My client has informed me he has an alibi for the entire day."

"What about last night?"

Jeff looks over at the attorney, he nods. "I was at home until 8:00 and then I met with the same client at Bambini's. Our meeting was cut short, so we agreed to finish up later."

"How long were you at the restaurant?"

"It was nearly one I believe."

"Where did you go next?"

"Home."

"Can Julie verify that?"

"Julie and all your officers."

"My officers?"

"They were investigating our break-in when I pulled up."

"Stay put while I check on your alibi." Joe sees Jerry just outside the door when he steps into the hall.

"I just spoke to the restaurant manager. He remembers seeing him twice yesterday. He said Jeff stayed until after they closed."

"The guy is sure it's him?"

"He described him to a T."

"Release him."

***

Jeff thought he was going home but they drive to the park instead. He glances at his lawyer, a curious expression on his face.

"I was instructed to drop you off here," Mr. Mancini explains as he pulls beside Luigi's GT.

I can't get a moment's peace. Jeff sighs. "What am I going to do now?" he asks as he climbs into Luigi's car.

"You're going to be my back up tonight."

"A backup, I... I don't think I'll do very good."

"Boss's instructions, and what he says goes."

Jeff sighs again "What's my part in it?"

"Just stand there and look mean."

"I think I can handle that."

"I hope so. You're going to need this." He hands him a gun. Jeff fingertips the weapon. "It's not loaded, and it's not going to be; not with you shaking like that."

Jeff glances at his hands. "I... I'm just nervous."

"When ain't you?" Chuckling, Luigi stuffs a gun in his pocket.

"You're not going to kill anyone, are you?" Jeff studders.

"This is just a friendly reminder about a debt he owes."

"We won't get shot at, right?"

"He's too scared of what Bambini will do."

"What if he has company?"

"He never does. Do you have any more questions, or can we go?"

Jeff had a few more but thought it best not to ask. "No, I'm good."

The two pull into the new subdivision a few minutes later.

"Remember to look tough and keep the gun pointed at him," Luigi instructs as the pair walks across the lawn.

Luigi glances back to find Jeff's face ghostly pale. "Hope you're ready, newbie." He bursts through the door.

Startled, the homeowner grabs a fire-poker from the hearth and darts into the hall.

"You better drop your weapon before you get hurt." Luigi cocks his gun.

Realizing he's outnumbered, Mitch places his weapon on the floor.

"Whatever you want, just... Just take it, alright?"

"You know why we're here, right?" Luigi asks.

"You're... You're going to rob me?" He glances between the two invaders.

"Bambini wants us to collect on a debt."

"I... I told him I'd pay him next week."

"You've said that for the past two months."

"I...I haven't been able to come up with the money."

"Guess I need to collect another way." Luigi presses his gun against Mitch's head.

"No, please, don't shoot, please."

"Pay up and I won't."

"Here, take my watch, it's worth a lot of money." He pulls it off his wrist. "I have a painting too." He runs through the house. Luigi and Jeff follow.

"The picture is worth a lot." He takes it down. Remembering what's behind it, he puts it back up. "This one is more expensive," he explains as he darts across the room.

"What's in the safe?"

"What safe, I don't have a safe?"

Luigi pulls the artwork off the wall. "Open it."

"It's... It's empty."

Luigi shoves the gun against the man's head. "Open it, now."

Mitch fumbles with the combination. After a few attempts, the safe pops open.

Pushing him out of the way, Luigi glances inside. "Empty my ass." Luigi grabs his bag and tosses the money inside.

"That's my life savings," Mitch protests.

"You better hope it's enough." Luigi turns towards their victim. "This is for lying." He shoots him in the leg.

Mitch tumbles to the floor. "Please, no more." He begs as he scoots away.

"Mention my visit to anyone and I'll finish the job."

"I won't say a word; I swear."

Both men are lost in their thoughts the entire trip home. Luigi is trying to decide where to spend his cut; Jeff is worried about the police.

"I might keep you around after all," Luigi says as he pulls to the side of the road.

"What do you mean, keep me around?"

Luigi laughs. "We'll call soon."

Nodding, Jeff climbs out of the car. Keep me around, what does that mean?

Jeff is almost to his house when a man springs out of the bushes; a long, sharp blade in hand. He has a skeleton-thin body and a white corpse-like face. His few remaining teeth are rotten. "Give me all of your money." He twitches.

Jeff reaches for his wallet but finds a gun instead. He glances at the man. It's hard to say what the meth head will do.

Life events replay in Jeff's mind. Orphaned at ten, he was shuffled to several foster homes, each worse than the last. Fed up with the abuse, Jeff decides to take his chances on the street. He found himself in Juvie soon after. I finally get my life in order and then Luigi decides to show. He recalls all the things he was forced to do.

"Hand it over, now."

Jeff glares at the mugger. I've been a victim of circumstance all my life. Well, that's going to end, right here, right now. "I don't think so." Jeff pulls the weapon from his pocket and points it towards the mugger's head.


 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.