General Fiction posted May 16, 2019 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Elsie's Stepfather seek recognition in new family.

A chapter in the book ORNAMENT

Elsie's Stepfather reflections

by heavenempress



Background
Detective Tom breaks into a family to investigate. Elsie, a young, brave and intelligent girl defy the odds of her disability displaying heroic acts to save his family from the cunning stepfather.
Lawrence had his own pride to protect and cherish but circumstances overwhelmed him in a disturbing manner. At home Lawrence, Elsie's stepfather sat comfortably on his wooden chair contemplating his past two-week stay at his new home. He had his own side of life to reflect upon which concerns and fears were included. As he bathed in gentle peace, it seemed to him that he had partially fitted to the lifestyle of his new family.

Unfortunately, he plunged into deep waters of failures and misfortunes. He tried livestock- rearing and poultry- raising but his incompetence and dishonesty crippled his job. He used to have an adequate salary to sustain his family and for his little brother's education. They have developed a routine sense of dependence on him such that family problems clustered around him and clung on his back as the family waited desperately for his salvation.

He pictured himself languishing in pain with the rattling sounds of his family pleas of help splitting his ears. He regretted and scolded his shoddy performance in his past work experiences. Actually, he vowed to surpass that part the life he wanted to quickly forget. Fortunately, his promise of hard work stole the heart of a beautiful, sweet-natured young woman whom she later married. With the cruelty of life peeping through their happy life, short illness robbed him of her when she died after two years of living together.

It was not a common cultural practice for men to shift and live with their wives amongst her family, he thought. The moment Laura extended the courtesy, inviting him to live with her at their place, he quickly grabbed the offer and moved in. After his first wife died, his mind sunk into a deep emotional turmoil and suffered a massive stroke that sent his mind within a blink away from lifetime mental damage. He could have stayed alone but leaned desperately on the straw of other fellow's advice.

Recently, having disposed much of his wealth along with his solitary stay in the village, he struggled to command a respectable social status as before. During those days respect was earned not only by the means one accumulated wealth but also by the capability of sustaining a large family. Although his future family plans glimmered, circumstances have not guaranteed him bright hope, only blocked off his plans with a solid dent. For the past three years, he had concentrated on his military work away from home.

Earlier he had lost both his wife and friend, Sharon and now his home has become a strange place. He understood that death was inevitable and it's vital to live the best of it whilst one still has it. For the first time, he felt as if the weighty mass of loneliness has shifted from the surface of his flesh into the depth of his soul acknowledging the gap that was only half-filled.
Although he loved Laura, Essy's mother, he understood that she differed from Sharon in quite a number of things. Sharon possessed a beauty from the heart that never shrank with the passing of time moreover it was demonstrated in absolute generosity and humility. She never seized an opportunity to warmly regard her husband's relatives as her own's.

She was determined to uphold the values that her own people customarily held and balance with the system of her husband's. On the other hand, Laura had a brave --featured attitude. She possessed a definable submission such that she graceful harbored deep knowledge and understanding in matters that concerned her man's interest. She was only short-tempered especially at moments when her role was tempered with. Those moments when he became excessively drunk, he could smell a breath of fire out wittingly upset the smell of his opaque beer.

One night he became excessively drunk that he reported home very late. He had attended a meeting with the elders of the village, led by a common man known as Uncle Sean. He was a well-known elder of the village and has handled many cases involving land disputes. He had succeeded in all cases, in particular, the ones that tested his natural wisdom. Only men were allowed to discuss land matters since land ownership was regarded as a symbol of power and men were still in absolute control of it. He remembered those days when his status was lost because of his wife's death.

A council of men from the Siyamba family had come and raised their claim of the pocket of land. An old man stood up and testified the agreement between two families.
''Men of honor, I am here not to judge but only to bear witness of the agreement entered into between the two families, "he stopped for a moment seeking audience's sympathy and elders support.
He was quite aware of the implications the whole case raised about his marriage to the family. He did not want to be regarded as ignorant or deceitful but to prove worth before his new wife and daughter whom he indirectly inherited from his friend.

It was a definite platform to clear any difference with his daughter. He was glad that a handful number of man had gathered and interest in his input was only limited to the two families. "It's with utmost regret that the concerned parties are no longer with us and the few witnesses now missed the precise recall of events", he said in a restrained voice.

"Some few years ago, Laura eloped to Kenny in an unceremonious event. It was such an embarrassment to Laura's family especially in the circumstance that Laura's family was rich. Kenny failed to pay the bride price and the consequence was that he labored for the Siyamba's family for unspecified years. As time moved on, it was declared that he becomes the owner of land until he dies. When he died in a strange way the case was delayed and dragged at village courts.

The farm was to be reattached by the owners but with a murder case suspected there was no immediate reclaim to the farm. In a bizarre situation when the land was first claimed, crops were destroyed by fire and the next season they experienced poor harvests. Disapproval, they returned the farm to Laura, their daughter with the cleansing belief that if she first used it for a couple of years to come they will reclaim it.

They passed the orchard, the farm, and the river and a short path headed towards a graveyard. She was not actually familiar with this area although she remembered those moments she paid the last respects to his father. After a pass of time, in which they meditated, prayed and inspected the grave, they turned back and disappeared behind the columns of palm trees. She thanked the heavens for having not seen her. She drew closer and closer fearlessly and full of courage. The state of the grave before was undesirable.

Erased by erosion, weed-infested, fractured tombstone with rust --diluted words was a clear sign of maintenance deficiency. She ran her fingers tracing the pattern of the words in an effort to derive the name inscribed many years ago. It read Sharon C, BORN 1956 AND DIED 1985. With simple calculations, she understood she was young and wondered how unfair life was. By the laying of a hand on her left shoulder, she was visibly startled and she made a sudden ungracious turn almost losing balance.

"We must always not lose hope especially at a time we lose our loved ones," A young man said behind her.

"Do not be afraid, was she your sister? He asked. "No," she replied in a sharp tone.
"Then who....?" He let the last words die out.

"Just someone I used to know" She was prepared to depart when suddenly she froze at the man interruption.

"I did not bury her, he buried her by himself at midnight". She shot him a more curious eye. "By himself" she paused "Are you talking about the man who came here just a few minutes ago" "Certainly" he assured.










Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. heavenempress All rights reserved.
heavenempress has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.