General Fiction posted May 13, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Pons and Ned help build a set for a play.

Scene at a Set Building

by Bill Schott



"Set Building"

FADE IN: INT. Stage at a community theater.


A row of flats depicting wildly different backgrounds are standing in the upstage area. From stage right, the first flat has a barber shop, complete with pole and 'Ye Olde Barber Shoppe' sign. The next flat is of a moonscape, consisting of an American flag and foot prints. Upstage center has an opening for a flat which hasn't yet been placed. The following flat has a carnival scene with a Ferris wheel, roller coaster, and carousel. The last flat, on stage left, is a jail house with painted barred windows and a sign which reads 'HOOSEGOW'.

Pons and Ned enter stage right carrying a flat that is plain white with no design on it. They are speaking while they move to upstage center to place the flat.

NED
Where we placin' this one at, Pons?  I think we done run outta room.

PONS
It's going right here in the upstage center spot that's still open.

NED
Did we climb some stairs? I dun amember that. Guess I bin carrying so many a these walls I don't know where I'm a goin'.

PONS
Well, we have actually only moved four before this one, and it's the last.

NED
That's good 'cause them stairs is a killer.

PONS
There were no stairs, Ned.  Upstage means the back of the stage, like where we have placed these flats.

NED
Speakin' a these here flats, what kinda play they puttin' on?  They got four diff'ent places what don't seem sim'lar atall.

PONS
I know what you mean, Ned. As it looks now, the story would be crazy.

NED
I think I had a dream about a place like this though. I started at the hair-cuttin' place --

PONS
Barber shop?

NED
I didn't ask 'im, Pons. I know he fishes and likes ta play horse shoes.

PONS
Well, I meant what it's called, a barber shop -- like the sign.

NED

(Reading the sign)  Yay oldee barbeer shoppee.  Looks like they could use a spell check on their sign-paintin' machine.

PONS
That's old English, Ned.

NED
Well it's improved a mite. They oughtta update this baby. But, anyway, they go from that to this public service announcement.

PONS
This one with the American flag and the astronauts' footprints?

NED
Well sure. It's either sayin' ta wipe yer feet afore ya walk in from the dirty street, 'cause that there's the 'merican way. See Old Glory standin' tall right there. Or, it's warnin' folks ta not do no trespassin' aless you ain't 'merican.

PONS
Gee, Ned. I thought it was the image of the moon landing with the American flag we left there and the footprints of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldren.

NED
Wow! Your dreams are way freakier than mine, Pons. Anyway, after the hair-cuttin' place and the foot-wipin' ordeal, there's this blank void where nothin' happens.


(Walking in from stage left, the boys cousin overhears them and steps over.)
RED
It sounds as though you are describing your waking hours, Ned.

NED
Nope.

PONS
Have you come to help build the set, Red?

RED
Oh no, Pons. I am the talent. I will be headlining this show.

PONS
Maybe you could explain this eclectic backdrop?

NED
It's electric? I thunk it was jist like a big picture. So is this a backdrop or a updrop, 'cause we're upstage?

PONS
It's, ah --

RED
When it comes to being a stage hand, Ned, you are more like a finger. A little finger.

PONS
Cut it out, Red.

NED
Where was I? Oh yeah. Then I was at a carnival and I got stuck on the top a the furry squeal. 

PONS
Ferris wheel?

NED
I don't know what it's name was. It was big and furry and squealed like stuck pig.

PONS
Okay, Ned. Did you end up here in the jailhouse?

NED
Why would ya think that, Pons?

PONS

(Stands quietly, looking out into the audience.)

RED
Well, I can tell you why all these flats are different. The play has a lot of different milieus. So the director goes lights out except for where each particular scene is performed. All the audience sees are the actors and the backdrop. Get it?

PONS
That sounds quite avant garde.

NED
Ya begun ta lose me at 'me loose', and yer speech kinda mumbled off that last thin' 'bout that 'Ivan Gourd' feller. He the one what painted these here wall dealies?

PONS

(Smiling. He turns to face Red.)

RED
There's only three of us in the cast, but we play all the parts and have a dozen wardrobe changes.

NED
Sweat a lot, do ya?

PONS
Well, when we finish with this last flat, we'll go buy some tickets. When is the first performance?

RED
It's right now, Pons!

(House lights go up and Pons notices there is an audience and they are applauding.)

 PONS
What?!  Ned?! You're a part of this?

NED
Yeah.  This here's what comes after the furry squeal.

PONS
What?

(Pons pants drop to the floor.  Then, all lights go out and only Ned's voice can be heard.)

NED
Ever'thin' goes black as the three a clubs, and then --


(The lights on stage come on as Pons and Ned enter stage right carrying a flat that is plain white with no design on it. They are speaking while they move to upstage center to place the flat.)



PONS 
It was a crazy dream, Ned. To top it off, my pants fell down.  The only thing that could have been worse is to be on an endless loop of the same dream.

NED
Yeah, okay, Pons. So, where we placin' this one at?  I think we done run outta room.


(Lights fade to black.)



 



Write A Script contest entry

Recognized


Flats are sections of back drop which create the scene where the players are performing.
Stage right and stage left are according to the actors' perspectives facing the audience. They would be opposite from the audience view.
Upstage is the rear of the stage while downstage is nearer the audience.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.