General Fiction posted May 11, 2019 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Manny inspects the site/ Sam finds the President dead.

A chapter in the book Assassin Nation

Among the Dead

by Bill Schott


Characters:
Sonny Sullivan, President of the United States
Red Appleton, Vice President
Connie Highland, Senate Majority Leader
Samantha Anthra, Adviser to the President
C. C. Connor, Chief of Staff, assumed dead
Rusty Pipes, Under Secretary of Cabinet Affairs assumed dead
Manuel Kontroz, Assistant to Rusty Pipes
Ben Baker, aka Butcher of Baghdad aka Bobby Do, assassin
G.I. Joseph, old assassin
----------------------

From the previous chapter:
Looking to the President, who was still riding the commode, Samantha reached into her blouse, under her arm, and ripped off an adhesive patch and stuck the round pad on the President's bare thigh.

"What the hell are you doin --" Grabbing his chest, the leader of the free world fell to his knees and gasped. Samantha grabbed the patch and removed it just as the man fell dead to the floor.

Tossing the disk into the bowl, she flushed the contents of the porcelain privy and watched the patches, cigar, and final stool of President Sonny Sullivan swirl into virtual oblivion.

----------------

As Samantha stared at the dead President, the sound of the ocean returned to her earpiece. She looked at her phone and deleted the icon which the Chief of Staff had her use. With that, she seemed to awake from a sleep and saw the President on the floor of the bathroom. Calmly, she placed her index and center fingers on the man's artery to detect a pulse. Finding none, she punched two numbers on her device and followed those with 'PUSdd!'.
Her phone rang immediately for a verbal confirmation.

"Yes," she answered to the voice on the other end. "Evacuate the wing, send a press memo stating he has come down with flu symptoms, find the veep and get him here now, and send an oh shit emoji to the senate majority leader."

Switching her focus, Samantha sent the PUSdd! code to Manuel Kontroz as well.

--------------------
Kontroz had left his plane and advanced on the covered area, passing a body which looked like a big meat pie.  Inside he discovered five more bodies.  One was a virtually rotting corpse lying over a wooden box with a crossbow still in his hands.  Another had taken a round to the back of the head; he had a rocket launcher lying at his feet. Manuel did the math and figured the mess outside had caught the rocket. Another dead man had his chest blown out.  Then, he found two more bodies on either side of the enclosure at the far end. Both looked as though they had been at the center of an explosion. Pieces and parts were missing and both were held together only by their leather belts and harnesses.

He was about to send a confirmation of his 'Looks like all dead' initial assessment, when he heard a barely audible moaning.  His eyes went to the direction of the sound and he moved toward it.  It was female and approximately fifty yards ahead. Moving at a determined pace he reached a stump and found a woman lying against it. She had been shot in the chest and abdomon a half dozen times. Her moaning was using up what was left of her life.  

Sending a message to Samantha, Manuel wrote straight text:
'Sending plane back remotely with one passenger. Witness. Save her.'

He then dragged the bloody but still breathing body to the ultalight. He grabbed a number of socks from one of the crates and padded all of the bullet holes. Then, he slipped a body bag over her and zipped it up to her neck.  Finally, he placed her into the small plane.  Quickly accessing a hidden fuel container, which was beneath a sod-covered trap door at the corner of the compound, he refilled the tank on the ultralight.  Then, before securing the hatch, he pulled the vehicle around one hundred and eighty degrees, and pressed a toggle switch on the dashboard that allowed pilotless flying. He started the engine and typed in a code on a small key pad that would take the plane back from whence it came.

Watching as the vehicle pulled away and became airborne, Manuel spoke softly to himself,

"He bound up his wounds, set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. Go and do likewise."

Then, his device buzzed and the message from Samantha saying the President was dead appeared. He looked up at the small plane flying into the clouds.

"Well -- poop-a-diddle!"











 




Luke 10

Image from Google.com

PUSdd! = President dead
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.