Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 28, 2019 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Detectives investigate the new crimes.

A chapter in the book Debt Collector

Looking for Clues

by Mistydawn


Jeff is told he can either help Bruno Bambini with his shady business or watch his family die a slow, painful death. How far will Jeff go to save the ones he loves?

Jeff has stolen a car and has been chased by the cops. He escapes from that only to be sent to another job. Jeff hears sirens in the middle of his illegal adventure. Setting the building on fire, he flees from the scene. Julie discovers an intruder in their house. 


The moon shines brightly through the far window, casting a shadow across the room. Joe is lying quietly in bed, replaying the recent events in his mind.

He first recalls what Rachel had said about the business owners. Her gut is usually right, but why would they burn the place after sinking so much money into it last winter? Maybe the upgrades didn't pan out the way the owners had hoped.

His thoughts suddenly drift to the way Rachel kissed him so delicately on the cheek; how she smiled at him so sweetly, with a gleam in her eyes; the brief connection they shared before she walked away. I should've said something, let her know how I feel.

He thinks back to the time he tried to ask her out and the horrid outcome that followed. I've never had a problem talking to women before, so why her, why now? It's not like we're strangers or anything. We've known each other most of our lives.

He recalls a few of the times they'd spent together as children; how smitten he was with her then. Will I ever be able to tell her how I feel, or am I destined to admire her from afar?

He closes his eyes and pictures his and Rachel's wedding day. He's in front of the old Baptist church; the preacher at the altar, Jerry and the Captain on his right.

"This is it, boss," Jerry says as he gazes out amongst the crowd. It seems that over half the town has shown up for their blessed event.

"I didn't think it'd ever happen, Jerr."

"Me either, boss." He chuckles, remembering Joe and Rachel's heated debates.

Soft organ music begins to play; the group scuffles to their seats. Once settled, the Wedding March begins. Joe watches as the flower girl and bridesmaids stroll down the aisle. He then sees his beautiful bride gracefully saunter towards him, her daddy by her side. Oohs and aahs are heard throughout the crowd.

Rachel is wearing a beautiful white gown with a lace neckline, waist, and sleeves. Gold sequins border either side of the skirt; a small strand runs along the middle. A cathedral train flows elegantly behind her. I'm the luckiest man alive, Joe thinks as Rachel continues to sashay towards him.

His dream fasts forwards to his and Rachel's two-story Victorian, located on the outskirts of town. The house is a daffodil yellow with eggshell white awing and trim. An off-white picket fence encompasses the lofty home.

Joe pulls up to find their four beautiful children in the yard; Rachel is on the porch-swing, their newest addition in her arms.

"Daddy home, Daddy home," Joe Junior runs to greet him. Tossing the toddler on his shoulders, Joe heads towards the house. "I've been wanting to do this all day," he says, pulling Rachel against him, he leans in for a kiss. Joe feels her soft lips brush against his. This is heaven, he thinks.

His phone rings, startling him awake. Just when I was about to kiss her. Aggravated, he reaches for the noisy device. "Sergeant Bower." Realizing its dispatch, he shoves the covers away. "A break-in at Stubbs grocery and a home invasion? I'll let my crew know." He's searching for Jerry's number when his phone rings. "Another crime already? Sergeant Bower... I was just about to call you." He puts the phone on speaker so he can get dressed.

"Julie called all distraught, said someone tried to break into her house. I'm headed over there now, see what I can do."

"You go ahead, Jerry and I will take Stubbs market."

"What happened there?"

"Someone robbed the place."

"Three crimes in one night? We haven't had a spree like this since... Since I don't know when."

"That's what worries me."

"I'll let you know what I find."

"We'll do the same." The dream replays in Joe's mind. I might do better over the phone. He takes a deep breath. "Rachel?"

"Yeah?"

There's a long, awkward silence. It's now or never. "Rachel," he begins again.

"What is it, Joe?"

"Never mind."

"I'll talk to you in a few then." She disconnects the call.

"I chickened out again." Aggravated, Joe reaches over and turns off his phone. Slamming his feet into his boots, He storms out the door.

***

Rachel finds several cruisers lining the street when she pulls up to the Donaldson's house. Her friend Julie is talking to one of them on the lawn. Her hands are going a mile a minute as she continues to explain. Julie stomps her foot and then points towards her house.

She's upset about something, Rachel thinks as she hurries across the lawn.

"I don't know how he got in, but I do know one thing, the girls or I didn't invite him," Julie yells.

"What's going on?" Rachel asks as she steps up beside her.

"This damn imbecile is wasting time with stupid questions instead of doing his job."

Rachel glances over at the rookie. "I've got this."

"Good luck, detective." The officer walks away.

"You'll think good luck," Julie says through gritted teeth. She takes a step towards him.

Darting in front of her, Rachel grabs her arms. "Julie, Julie."

The distraught woman turns towards her friend. "Damn moron," she mutters under her breath.

Rachel sees him and a few of his co-workers laughing when she glances his way. "Excuse me a minute."The detective stomps towards them. "This is not playtime boys, so either get to work or clock out and go home."

"Yes, ma'am." Each goes their separate way.

Much better. Smiling, she walks back to her friend. "I want you to start at the beginning and tell me what happened tonight."

***

Joe finds the entire back-end of Fremont blocked off when he pulls up to the scene. He then spots his detective talking to the forensics team by the door. I don't know what I'd do without my right-hand man, he thinks as he crosses the yard.

"Sergeant Bower," a rookie says as he lifts up the tape.

"Borden." Ducking under the barrier, Joe walks over to Jerry and Kirk. "What do you have for me, guys?"

There's no sign of forced entry, but the cash register was open and all the money is gone."

"Did anyone see who did it?"

"The perp was long gone by the time anyone got here and we haven't found a single witness."

"What about security cameras?"

"The store doesn't have any."

"I want you to locate the nearest cameras, see what you can find."

"I'll get right on it, boss."

"And have patrol talk to the Tyson workers, see if they saw anything."

"Will do, Sergeant."

Joe turns towards Kirk. "Is this how they got in?" He inspects the door and the frame.

"We believe so, sir."

"I want this dusted for prints."

"You know how many people come in here each day?"

"Just do it. I want the cash register and the area around it dusted too."

"Yes, sir."

***

Jeff finds numerous squad cars lined up along his street. He then notices several parked around his house. "Something's happened to my girls." Pulling to the side of the road, he sprints to his home. He's met by a brawny officer the moment he reaches their lawn.

"You can't go in there," the man says. Stepping in front of him, the cop crosses his arms.

"I live here."

"Jeff." Julie cries, running towards him. The officer turns to see who's headed their way.

Sidestepping around the burly man, Jeff runs to meet her. "Are you alright?" he asks, scooping her into his arms.

"We're fine, now."

"What happened?"

"A robber broke into our home."

"A robber, you guys could've been..."

"Thanks to your wife's quick thinking they weren't," Rachel says as she steps up beside them.

"Quick thinking, I... I don't understand?"

Julie looks over at Rachel and giggles. "You know that centerpiece you love so much?"

"The one I begged you to get rid of?"

"That's the one."

"Yeah, what about it?"

"That ugly piece makes an excellent weapon."

***

Joe spots a dark blue coupe parked on the shoulder of the road when he pulls onto Circle Drive. That might be the vehicle we're looking for. Pulling alongside it, he climbs out of his car.

Taking the flashlight from his pocket, he quickly scans the interior, but doesn't find a thing. I wonder how long it's been sitting here? He checks the hood and finds it's still warm. The owner has to be close, but where? He quickly scans the block. I'll run the plate, see who it belongs to. He glances down to find it missing. No plate, that's not a good sign. Think I'll run the Vin, see what's going on.  

Characters
Jeff Donaldson, the man forced to commit crimes to save his family
Julie Donaldson, Jeff's wife
Abby, Rebecca Donaldson, Jeff and Julie's girls
Luigi Ricci, Bruno Bambini's goon
Bruno Bambini, kingpin.

Berryville PD
Joe, sergeant
Rachel, detective
Jerry, detective,
Sharon, ME, head of forensics








 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.