Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 10, 2019 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Julie confronts an intruder.

A chapter in the book Debt Collector

Unexpected Guest

by Mistydawn


Summary

Jeff is told he can either help Bruno Bambini with his shady business or watch his family die a slow, painful death. How far will Jeff go to save the ones he loves?

Jeff has stolen a car and has been chased by the cops. He escapes from that only to be sent to another job. Jeff hears sirens in the middle of his illegal adventure. Setting the building on fire, he flees from the scene. Julie discovers an invader in their house.


***

The Donaldson house is eerily quiet as darkness falls like an oversized blanket over the shadowy rooms. This unusual stillness allows a restless aura to ooze its way in; robbing the family of their serenity like a bandit in the night.

Julie is bound to a high-back chair, seated at their dining room table. Her hands are tied behind her and her feet are secured to the chair's legs. A large piece of duct tape is adhered across her mouth making it impossible for her to scream. The egg-shaped contusion on the side of her head throbs mercilessly as a small stream of blood trickles down the side of her face.

"Please help us get through this, please," she sobs, anxiously watching for the intruder to come out of the adjacent room; he'd been searching for profitable treasures for hours. Hearing a noise at the top of the stairs, she looks towards it; The ruckus becomes louder. Her body tenses up as horrific images besiege her mind. Please dear lord, please let my babies stay in bed, and please send someone to help us. The noise stops. Thank you, Lord.

She sees headlights shimmer down the dark, wet road when she glances towards the window. The light becomes brighter and brighter, then turns into the drive. Jeff is back, she thinks. A feeling of relief sweeps over her. This is quickly replaced with a series of gruesome thoughts. She shakes her head, hoping to dismiss the grisly images from her mind. I need to warn him about what's going on, but how. She's trying to come up with a plan when she hears footsteps on the stairs. Please don't let it be my babies. Julie anxiously watches as the figure slowly emerges from the darkness. Her heart plunges to her stomach when she recognizes the face. "Please not now," she tearfully begs, eyeing the door again.

***

The captain steps out of his office and glances across the crowded precinct. He quickly discovers his officers are steadily working on their tasks at hand. That's what I like to see, he thinks as he continues to monitor his crew.

He's been a part of the police force for over thirty years. It's become his life, his reason for being. Last month his doctor suggested he retire, claiming his old ticker can't take much more. With his ever-growing health issues, he knows the physician is right, but how can he give up the only life he's ever known?

He finds his detectives nodding off at their desks as he continues to scan the room. They can't get anything accomplished that way. He hurries towards them. "There's nothing more you can do tonight, so you might as well go on home."

Hearing those blissful words, the three quickly gather their things. They were just about to leave when they notice a dispatcher heading towards them. 

"Captain, detectives, we just received a phone call about a fire at the bowling alley."

"Let the uniforms handle it." the captain orders.

"They are, but they thought you might want to know because the witness claims they saw a dark coupe flee the scene."

"We've got it, captain." Joe glances towards his crew.

"I can get someone else to cover it, Sergeant."

"No, it's our case, we'll handle it," Joe answers. Nodding in agreement, the detectives trudge to the door.

***

Home, at last, Jeff thinks as he pulls into the garage. He eyes the clock before turning off his car. There's still plenty of time for a little fun. He smiles. Jeff feels his manhood hardening as he imagines their romantic encounter in his mind. It's been too long, way too long. Readjusting himself, he quickens his pace. He's almost to the door when his cell rings. The sudden noise startles him; the phone flies out of his hand, bumping across the concrete floor. Jeff scoops it up and inspects it. Glad I went with the more expensive cover, he thinks not finding a single mark. His phone rings again. "Hello?" He puts it on speaker as he backtracks towards the house.

"Where are you?" Luigi grumbles.

"I just made it home, why?" He asks, reaching for the doorknob. 

"The boss has something else for you to do, so, meet at the park in ten."

"Can't it wait until morning?" Frustrated, he lowers his hand to his side.

"It has to be taken care of tonight, his words, not mine."

"But I...."

"I'll tell the boss you refused, been nice knowing you, kid."

Nice knowing me? Jeff recalls his repetitive threat. "Wait, wait, I'll do it." Luigi didn't reply. "Are you there?" The line remains silent. "Hello?" He checks to see if they've been disconnected; he finds the call timer is still on. Beads of sweat pop out across his forehead as he presses the phone to his ear. "Hello, hello?" He tries to hear some sort of activity, but the line remains completely still. He pictures horrid images of his family's demise as the seconds tick down in his head. "Answer me, damn it. Please answer me, please," Jeff begs on the verge of tears.

"I had you sweating for a minute, didn't I?"

"I... I thought that was it, that we were done."

"You're damn lucky it isn't. Try it again and I won't be so forgiving, got it?"

Jeff wipes his forehead with his sleeve. "Yes... Yes, I got it, I understand."

"Good, meet me at Miller's Pond in ten."

That'll give me just enough time to change. Jeff reaches for the latch again.

***

The parking lot is filled with cruisers when Joe and his detectives pull up to the scene. Glancing around, he notices part of the crime scene unit is busily securing the area while the remaining diligent searches for clues. 

Kirk runs over to greet them as they step out of the car. "I thought you'd want to know about the fire since it was started by the same perp."

"I appreciate it. What can you tell us?" Joe questions as he and his crew walk towards the scene.

"We found a gas can in the bushes, forensics is dusting it for prints now. They also found a fresh footprint in the dirt. An impression was made and is being sent to the lab."

"You said there's a witness?"

"One of the owners." He points towards a tearful lady on the bench. "She didn't see him do it, but she caught him fleeing the scene."

"I'll get her statement, Sergeant," Rachel offers.

Joe nods. "Is she the only witness?"

"So far, but we're still canvassing the neighborhood."

"Ok, thank you." Joe sees Jerry walking towards him when he turns around.

" I spoke to the fire marshal. He says the fire is definitely an arson and the person used gasoline as an accelerant."

"He just confirmed what we suspected."

"Yes, boss. According to the body impression found in the weeds, our perp is around six foot three, average build, which collaborates what the witnesses at the Wal-mart said."

"Have forensics search the area for any other evidence."

Yes, sir." Joe starts towards the parking lot when Rachel steps up beside him.

"The witness told me the coupe was dark blue not black. She's able to give a good description of the driver, so I'm having her talk to a sketch artist now."

"Did she get a license plate number?"

"She said he left in such a hurry that she couldn't make out what it said. She does remember it being an Arkansas plate."

"Did you ask her if she knows anyone who might have a grudge against her?"

"She can't think of anyone. She claims she hasn't had any trouble with the customers and all her employees have worked for her for years."

"Interview her husband, see if he can tell us more."

"He's on his way." Joe starts to walk off when she grabs his arm to stop him; he turns back around.

"Joe, I'm sorry if I said something to make you mad. I really didn't mean to."

"It wasn't you, I... I just have a lot on my mind, work, and stuff, you know how it goes."

"Well, I'm always here if you ever need to talk."

"I appreciate it, detective." Feeling uncomfortable with the situation, he quickly walks away.

Characters
Jeff Donaldson, the man forced to commit crimes to save his family
Julie Donaldson, Jeff's wife
Abby, Rebecca Donaldson, Jeff and Julie's girls
Luigi Ricci, Bruno Bambini's goon
Bruno Bambini, kingpin.

Berryville PD
Joe, sergeant
Rachel, detective
Jerry, detective,
Sharon, ME, head of forensics

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.