Supernatural Fiction posted April 8, 2019 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE IMMORTAL

My Beloved/Part Two

by scongrove




Background
I'm excited to share my fifth series. It's still a working progress, so all helpful feedback is appreciated. Enjoy!
Dedicated to Roy Owens. Your inspiring poetry gave me the vision to create my beautiful battle angels, and a reminder of the love God blesses us with every single day. Thank you my dear friend.   

The intensive care unit Sebastian was in, located in the “In-Between”—the outer space surrounding heaven—had curtained glass walls, and even from the outside, you could hear the hum of the medical equipment that was keeping him sedated.

Now, for the second time, he’d given his life to save another. But were his good deeds deserving of another chance at life? Growing up, Sebastian had suffered a tortured childhood that darkened his heart, replacing the goodness with evil intent and revenge. In the eyes of the Creator, all life deserved a second chance. And like all of his beloved creations, Sebastian was too, born with a purpose.

After the Creator had summoned his battle angels with the task of rendering the Fury powerless and bringing the trio back to the heavens in their custody, he asked them to bring Sebastian’s body along with them.

Lailah stood beside the hospital bed, peering down at Sebastian as he lay in a state of deep unconsciousness. Her long crimson hair fell forward and brushed against his face as she leaned over him. “It’s not your time to go yet,” she whispered close to his ear. “The Creator needs you.”

She winced at the sound of the door sliding open. As she stood straight and turned around, one of her comrade-in-arms barged his way in. Frigg was not your ordinary angel. Not only did he resemble the singer, musician, and actor Billy Idol of the 80’s punk rock band—sporting the same trademark bleached spiked hair—he had served as a battle angel for more than a century. With a personality bigger than life, he still had his share of human weaknesses: a love for rock-n-roll, cheeseburgers, and classic black-n-white movies. The Creator gifted him with the unique power of shape-shifting. Frigg had the ability to transform and reshape himself into any living thing.

When he caught sight of Sebastian’s pale face, he curled his upper lip. There were tubes going in and out of every orifice he had, and the wires attached to his chest made him look as if he were one of Dr. Frankenstein’s lab experiments.

“He looks like shit,” Frigg said, the words coming out in a sarcastic tone, heavily laced with an English accent. 
    
Lailah rolled her eyes. “He’ll be fine in a few days,” she said. “So, what are you doing here?”

“Cronus sent me. He wants to see you, and it sounded urgent.”

“But . . . I’m not supposed to leave him alone,” she said, glancing down at Sebastian with a worried expression on her face. She looked back at Frigg and shrugged her shoulders. “Someone should be here in case he comes around.”

“I guess I can stay,” he grumbled. “But no more than an hour tops. I don’t want to miss my show.” Frigg brought his wrist to his face and glanced at the shimmering gold watch. “One of Alfred Hitchcock’s old classics will be on in an hour.” 
  
Lailah let out an aggravated sigh. “Yah know, it wouldn’t kill you to put others before yourself, Fitzgerald Rochester,” she said addressing Frigg with his real name. “It’s just a movie for heaven’s sake.”

He shrugged off her statement like it was nothing and crossed his arms over his chest. “Just make sure you’re back in an hour, and don’t ever call me by that name again.”   
  
Lailah groaned. “Okay, fine. But when I get back, we’re having a serious talk. Your selfish needs are starting to piss me off.”

“Whatever,” he said with an arched brow and plopped down in the chair next to Sebastian’s bed, no doubt counting down the minutes.  

Before Lailah left the room, she placed her hand against the side of Sebastian’s face, and blanketed him with a healing power that traveled to every pore in his body. And then she closed her eyes and spoke to him telepathically.

“Get rest.” Her voice was soft in his mind. “I will return, and soon you will awake.” 

Sebastian tried to nod, but his body wouldn’t obey what his mind commanded. He was going to make it, however.

As Lailah exited the glass room, she nodded at the two guards standing outside and then strode down a long corridor, passing the door to the confined space that held the Fury. Here, their powers were useless. And still, she wondered what the Creator had in store for the savage, supernatural trio. Were they to be trained to join forces with her kind? If so, could they be trusted? But again, the last thing she needed was to worry about their fate. She had other issues to deal with. Healing Sebastian was her main focus. And, currently, all she could think about was the Adalwolf she’d momentarily encountered on earth. Lailah was confused with the feelings she had for him. Was it possible to fall in love in such a brief moment? She thought to herself. Although she didn’t know his name, his face was forever embedded into her mind. His striking features created an unfamiliar yearning within her. The alluring color of his eyes reminded her of two stunning, dark onyx gemstones.

The unbearable ache inside her chest brought back memories of the human life she’d lost at the young age of seventeen. Forty-one years ago, she’d been brutally murdered at the hands of a monster. Then she remembered things she could not get out of her head . . . the bugs that crawled over her naked body as her soul looked down at her corpse that had been cruelly discarded in a filthy ditch. Lailah frowned as she struggled with the horrific and dark recollection of her death. Tears gathered in her eyes, and she wiped one away as it trickled down her cheek.   

From the moment her life was taken, Lailah felt cheated. Dreams of falling in love and a future filled with a family had been stripped away. Now, she had a reason to return back to earth . . . to be with him

Lailah’s sharp-edged wings soared across the heavens with ease, carrying her to her destination. The closer she got, the tenser she became, wondering why Cronus had summoned her. Did this have anything to do with the Adalwolf back on earth? She worried silently, her mind in a whirlwind. Was he in some kind of danger?

Moments later, she set aside her fears, floated to the ground, and stood outside the main headquarters of the training center. The wind had come up and the long strands of her hair lifted and tousled around her forever youthful face. Before she went inside, she prayed for a miracle. If somehow she was granted one wish, it would be to see him again.  
  
When Lailah walked inside, she tilted her head up and gazed at the miles of spectacular, shiny gold walls that rose up from the pristine stone floor.

“Lailah,” said a familiar, male voice.

She quickly looked forward as Cronus—a first commander in charge of the Creator’s battle angels—moved in her direction. He was stunningly handsome with dark hair that hung in thick waves past his shoulders. His eyes sparkled pale gray, and his muscular arms were marked with unique tattoos. With the sword of truth at his side, and his glorious, black eagle-like wings tucked behind his back, he dipped his head in her presence and said, “You have been summoned by the Creator.”

Lailah dropped to one knee, bowed her head, and said, “Yes, commander.”

As she rose back to her feet and stood tall, she focused on the seriousness of his face. Her mouth went totally dry, and finally, she managed to croak out, “Do you know why?”

“He has a task for you,” Cronus told her and then pointed to a long corridor that lead to a giant set of double doors. “Your assistance is required. There has been an incident down below.” He felt compelled to tack on, “There is healing to be done and you’re the only one capable for this particular task.”  

She looked away from him, her eyes wide with anticipation. Then she nodded in silence and hesitantly stepped forward, her heart beating like a jack hammer. The task involved earth? She prayed it was so.

As Lailah got to the massive entrance, she suddenly felt weak in the knees, not knowing what to expect on the other side. She had never actually seen the Creator. She’d only heard his voice. When he’d magically whispered into her mind, it was as if the most beautiful symphony had been transformed into vocal cords. Words alone cannot express the euphonious sound. According to her commander, only a few chosen angels, including himself, had witnessed his glory. It was an honor and a privilege to meet him in person.

Her hand trembled as she turned the knob. Instead of rushing inside, she leaned in a little so she could peek past the door.

“Come in, my sweet child,” said a deep but gentle voice that she instantly recognized, soothing her anxiety.  

Lailah was awestruck when she pushed inside. With her mouth agape, she stood froze in place, gazing into the most brilliant and glorious light. Life as it existed didn’t get any better than this moment. Tears gathered in the corners of her eyes, and slowly trickled down her face.

Overwhelmed by his presence, she dropped to her knees. “My Lord,” she gasped, lowering her head.

“Look upon me, my child,” he softly commanded.

“My eyes are not worthy of your grace,” she said in a tear-laced voice.

“Of all my precious angels . . . you are most worthy.”

Slowly, Lailah looked up and stared into the magnificent and wondrous sight with wide green eyes. She smiled and took in every word as he explained the task that involved the special powers she’d been given. Gifted with holy fire, Lailah not only possessed the ability to shape and manipulate holy flames—which were inextinguishable by normal means, and were used to trap or immobilize their enemies, rather than killing them outright—she could also summon spirits of the deceased back to the world of the living, but only with the Creator’s permission.
This was going to be the most difficult task she’d been assigned to do. But she was determined to succeed.   
                       
As she headed back to tend to Sebastian, her heart gave a pinch, and she mentally scolded herself for allowing fear to fill her head with doubts. She forced the darkness out of her mind and replaced it with light. Her prayers had finally been answered. She was going back to earth . . . and taking Sebastian and the Fury with her.

To be continued . . .
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline gene is passed down to offspring that are born identical twins. Although they live among humans, their species must be kept secret.
In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing deadly to the species.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth, are born with telepathic abilities, and have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong that if one dies, the other twin may pass on, especially if they don't have a mate.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When the male comes in contact with her, he instantly feels a simultaneous, desirable attraction and she becomes the most important thing in his life. He is there to love, protect, and cherish her until death. Once they are mated, they bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant, which is only formed with their species. The Covenant is governed and ruled by a head council. The council keeps their laws in order and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - Over centuries, the Breedline Covenant is ruled by a true queen. If there is no queen living, the Covenants are governed by an appointed head council until another one is born. A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. The queen is expected to rule over all the Breedline Covenants where she will be respected and obeyed by all Breedline. This is their absolute True Law.

THE QUEEN'S RING - This ring has been passed down to all Breedline queens for generations. When the new queen places the ring on, it instantly shifts in size to fit her finger.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have an ancient book of laws. If either sex disobeys the Breedline laws, they can be shunned, or no longer protected by their Covenant. If a Breedline takes another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will never have the ability to shift back into human form and cast out as a rogue wolf.

ROGUE WOLF - A Breedline shunned by their Covenant for taking another life out of revenge or evil and forced to live as a wolf until death without the ability to change into human form again. Some rogue wolves form into packs, which can be dangerous for other Breedline species.

RED (BLOOD) MOON - When the full moon passes through the amber shadow of the earth, producing a midnight eclipse visible across North America. So begins a lunar eclipse tetrad, a series of four consecutive total eclipses occurring at approximately six-month intervals. This incredible light beams into the heart of earth's shadow, filling it with a coppery glow and transforming the moon into a great red orb. During this time, all Breedline species that are mated have a strong desire to create an offspring. This is also a time when Breedline females are more fertile for the conception of twins.

ADALWOLF - A species that has the power to shift from their human form into a beautiful creature, twice the size, resembling half man and half wolf. Born with super-strength, they can move from one place to another in supernatural speed. Their eyes take on the appearance of two shimmering diamonds. With the power to regenerate their own cells, an Adalwolf will stop aging at thirty. The moon has no power over them. An Adalwolf is immune to silver. They can bond with any species.

Sebastian Crow - He is a half-breed, and Eve's bonded mate. After being killed by Jace in self- defense, he was possessed by the Chiang-Shih demon after the Angel of Mercy cast him out of Alexander's body. As he tried to portray Sebastian's life, Eve finally figured out his secret. Keeping her captive only to survive on her blood, he later develops feelings for her. The demon creates a death army, determined to dominate the world and unleash his wrath among humans and the Breedline. Now free from the demon, he is determined to reunite with his beloved Eve, who is kept prisoner by the Breedline Covenant, awaiting trial for her past crimes against them.

The Fury - Three fraternal twins created by an evil German scientist named Dr. Hans Autenburg. Using his own DNA, he mixed it with three other species: A Breedline, an Adalwolf, and a powerful Wiccan. He placed three embryos inside the womb of a full-blooded succubus, named Sonya Hothburn. Taken against her will, Sonya was forced by the mad physician into surrogacy. After their birth, she was forbidden to see her children.
All three were created to destroy the Breedline species and dominate the human world. The first born was called Apollyon, meaning 'destroyer' in Greek. It was also the name of the angel-prince of the infernal regions, the minister of death and author of havoc on earth. He has the strength of ten men, and the power to dematerialize, taking others with him, from one place to another. He can transform into a creature that resembles an Adalwolf, and a vampire-like hybrid. The second born was called Callisto, meaning 'most beautiful.' She has the power of a shield, protecting herself and others from harm. The last child was named Electra, meaning 'the shining one.' She has the power to conduct electricity from her body, using it as a weapon. Inheriting their species instinct and extraordinary power, their thirst to kill became uncontrollable. As they grew up, the Fury became more and more unstable and unruly. With an insatiable hunger for human flesh and unmanageable powers, they became a hindrance to the physician. He had no other choice but to drug and imprison them for all time, each one placed inside a sarcophagus in a state of deep slumber to be forgotten forever until they were set free by their mother.

Battle Angels - Their one purpose for existence is to serve the Creator in war against demons and evil havoc on earth. Unlike any of the Creator's angels: no majestic white wings, no soft angelic voice, and no golden halo continually hovering over their head; the indigenous battle angels, on average, are ten feet tall. Although, a few towered to the height of twelve feet with a more muscular build. All are tattooed with unique warrior markings, black eagle-like wings with armor typical of ancient heroes, and they wield a type of sword associated with a long-gone empire. They are the bravest of angels, who consider only the importance of their mission and are perfectly willing to be destroyed in the service of righteousness. Each angel is gifted with special powers to be used as weapons to fight against the dark side. They are particularly fond of the human race and consider themselves humanity's special protectors.

Cronus - He is a loyal and devoted warrior in charge of God's battle angels. He wields the power of the sword of truth and has the ability to use his body as a shield. His mission is to protect the heavens and all God's creations.

Lailah - She is a battle angel gifted with holy fire used to trap or immobilize demons and other evil supernatural beings, rather than killing them outright. Forty-one years ago, in her human life at age seventeen, she was savagely murdered. But the crime was never solved. Her younger brother is Detective Manuel Sanchez who has spent most of his life trying to catch her killer.

Helios - He is a battle angel and a descendant of a mighty African king. When God brought him into the group, his entire body was converted into a lethal weapon. The tips of his magnificent dark feathers slice his enemies like knives, and his hands and feet are clawed with talons, capable of shredding through skin and bone. In his human life, he was born without vocal cords. Gifting him with the powers of telepathy, God made it possible for Helios to communicate using his mind.

Icarus - He is a 'gorgeous' battle angel gifted with the power of telekinesis. He can influence, manipulate, and move matter using his mind.

Frigg - He is one of God's originals, serving as a battle angel for more than a century. With a personality bigger than life, a bit of an attitude, and a love for rock-n-roll, cheeseburgers, and classic black-and-white movies, he oddly resembles the singer Billy Idol of the 80's punk rock band - sporting the same trademark bleached spiked hair and English accent. He is gifted with a unique power of shape-shifting. He can transform and reshape himself into any living thing.







Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.