Western Fiction posted April 6, 2019 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Badger is reminded of a long forgoten past

A chapter in the book The Convict Train

A Nightmare from the past

by Mr. Green



Background
When Bo Meadows name is mentioned in Badger's company, a hidden fury begins to build inside the old mountain man, and only Casper Hayes knows why.
Two guards were standing at the prison gates when the riders approached, and two more were inside a small bastion overlooking the corner of the prison. One of the guards at the gates looked up at the bastion and saw another guard pointing down the trail that led from the town out to the prison. , The guard rested the barrel of his rifle on the framed opening, "We got company Tom." he called out.

Thomas Buchanan was a homely man, slender but strong and lean, with a long beard that was trimmed narrow, and rested on the top half of his chest. His hair was long and ragged, tucked under a sweat-stained derby, that fit snugly to his head. He was wearing a white shirt, long thread-bare jacket and pants that hadn't been washed in a while. His voice was heavy and deep as he took up his rifle and walked forward.

"I see 'em Fred." he called up to the guard.

The three men stopped their horses, just short of the prison walls, "My name is John Barnabus Sawyer, and we have important information to discuss with the warden of this prison."

Thomas Buchanan responded, "If you got business with Warden Billings then you can tell me and I'll get word to him." John Barnabus looked up at the guards observing their conversation, then his attention went back to the guard standing a few feet in front of him.

"I'm working with law enforcement in this area, and we would like to talk to the warden personally."

The guard in the bastion told his partner to get the warden, then he called down to Buchanan, "I sent for Warden Billings, Tom." Buchanan looked at the three men, "Get down off your horse Mr. Sawyer, and your men can do the same. There's a hitching post over yonder.

When the gates came open Warden Billings walked out and approached Buchanan, "What's going on Tom?"

"Mr. Billings, these men claim to have important information, and insist on discussing it with you personally." Warden Billings looked at the three men who were walking in his direction. "Mr. Billings, the man out in front with the wide shoulders, and lean features, he seems to be the one in charge."

"Who is he, Tom?"

"Say's his name is John Barnabus Sawyer." Warden Billings glanced at Buchanan, then, as his gaze went back to John Barnabus, he spoke softly.

"Interesting!"

"Warden Billings!" J. B. said as he extended his hand.

"Buchanan tells me you're John B. Sawyer." Warden Billings said, glancing at the other two men standing near-by.

"Yes sir, and this is my kid brother, Kyle, and Joseph Paterson who has been working with us since we left Olympia."

"What is it that concerns you gentlemen?"

"We come across some information that leads us to believe there may be a prison break planned in the near future." John said.

"That would seem highly unlikely given the present situation." Warden Billings commented.

Kyle looked around and saw the curious attention their conversation was getting from the prison guards. "Mr. Billings, is there some place we can discuss this in more detail.

Recognizing the look on Kyles face as one of concern, Warden Billings said, "You mean more privately!"

"Yes sir!"

"Why don't you men follow me inside, to my office. I would like to hear more about this concern of yours."

The building in-side the stockade was a two story wooden framed structure. There were steps that went to the upper level, but there was no entry to the first level from the outside.

It was soon discovered that the prisoners were kept on the first level, and the only way in or out of that area was by narrow stairs on the inside of the building. There were long narrow windows about three feet in length and each window was about eight inches high, with bars along each window frame. It would seem to be impossible to escape this dungeon like environment, because the officers housing quarters, were on the upper floor.

Warden Billings held the door to his office open as he entered. Joseph Paterson was the last man to enter the office, closing the door behind him. The warden sat behind his desk and gestured an invitation for the others to sit in leather bound chairs. After a quick inspection, Kyle wondered if the chairs had been made by convicts hands.

"Now what is it that brought the three of you to my prison?"

"Mr. Billings, do you know a man by the name of Matt Corey?"

"Yes. He happens to be doing time in this prison. Why do you ask?"

"Do you also happen to know someone named Samuel Blackburn?"

The warden sat back in his chair and looked at all three men before responding. "Yes, I do! Matter of fact Blackburn happened to be Matt Corey's partner at the time of Corey's arrest. From what I've been told, Blackburn narrowly escaped being arrested himself."

"Warden," John Barnabus began, "Kyle and I have been tracking another man by the name of Bo Meadows, and in doing so, we have found ourselves in this place at this time." Billings stood up and paced a few steps. Walking to the front of his desk, he leaned against it and crossed his arms over his chest, his thoughts coming out in just one word.

"Son-of-a-bitch!"

That word captured the attention of everyone in the room, but at that moment, the door came open, and one of the guards walked inside, "Warden Billings, Superintendent Paine and Warden Justice from Walla Walla are here. Billings stepped away from the desk, "Robert," Billings spoke to the prison guard, "Step inside, and close the door, will you?" The guard did as he was requested.

Looking at the other men in the office, Billings said, "You might be interested to know that a Sheriff is traveling with other men on this train at the request of Superintendent Paine. His name is Levi Sawyer." John Barnabus and Kyle looked at each other with a mixture of surprise and concern.

"Robert, would you walk with these men to the front gates, and properly introduce them to Superintendent Paine, and the men he is traveling with?"

"Yes sir, Mr. Billings."

"Gentlemen, if you will go with this man, I will meet you out in front of the prison shortly, There is something I want to check on, in light of our conversation. Something that troubles me." He considered whether to voice his concern at that moment or not, then he decided against the idea, he wanted to be sure he was remembering the facts correctly." I want to check our records for something that might be of considerable importance. I will meet with all of you in a few moments."

The men in the office began to walk out when Warden Billings said, "John, would you tell Mr. Paine I apologize for this delay, but I won't keep him very long." John Barnabus nodded his head quietly, then he walked out of the office, closing the door behind him.

Levi Sawyer walked quickly towards the prison gates after he noticed John Barnabus and Kyle stepping out, behind their escort. They shook hands and John introduced Joseph Paterson, and Levi began to introduce them to Superintendent Paine and Warden Justice, then Badger walked up and John and Kyle both smiled.

"Badger, it's good to see you here." Kyle said.

"Well, at least we know Levi is in good hands." J. B. commented. Badger laughed as he turned to grasp John by the wrist.

"Well, if this ain't just splendiferous." Badger said with a smile that brought out the crows-feet at the corner of his eyes. "I done brought an old pard' with me this time." Badger said, "This here's Casper Hayes, we been keepin' Levi from wakin' snakes the best we can."

Levi frowned at the conversation, as he watched Casper shake hands, then Casper noticed the awkward expression on Levi's face, "Yeh! ole Badger and I, we done been in many-a-scrap together, but keepin' your brother outa trouble..."

"Okay! Now I can keep myself outa' trouble just fine..., don't need no baby-sitters watchin' out for me neither." Both Badger and Casper laughed out loud, as they looked at Levi and said.

"That's not what Elizabeth says."

Everyone laughed and Levi was thankful when he noticed the prison gates open, and he saw Warden Billings walk out.

"Superintendent Paine, I have the guards preparing the cons to ride the wagons to the train depot." Billings said. "Thank you." Paine replied as Billings walked closer.

"John Barnabus said you wanted to check on something."

"Yes, I wanted to make sure I was remembering correctly before I said anything."

"What concerns you." Paine inquired.

The other conversations quieted, as Billings looked over at John Barnabus. "John, you mentioned three names in our previous conversation. At first, I wasn't too concerned about what brought you and Kyle here because the cons were leaving this prison today. but then my concern changed."

"What did you find in your records?" J. B. asked

"It's true that Matt Corey is doing time here at Seatco, and he will be one of the cons on the train today. It's also true that Samuel Blackburn was the last man to ride with Matt Corey before he got arrested. As we were talking earlier, my concern changed when you mentioned the third name, that of Bo Meadows."

"What about Meadows?" John asked.

Badger stepped closer, and Casper saw his old friends hand curl up into a tight fist, but the old mountain man said nothing. Casper knew that name too, and he also knew the fury that was beating inside his old friend.

"John," Billings continued, "Our records show that Matt Corey and Meadows are related. It appears that Bo Meadows is Matt Corey's uncle. That is probably why Blackburn was accepted into the gang so easily. He probably has something that Meadows needs."

Billings saw Superintendent Paine glancing at the other men, then Billings said, "Mr. Paine, I would be very careful from now on, and keep a watchful eye out."

They could see wagons beginning to line up outside the prison gates, and one of the guards working in the bastion called out. "Warden Billings, the cons are about ready to load up on the wagon, but I'm told there is a problem."

"Waht's that?" Billings asked

"They found one of the cons dead. They found him hanging in his cell."

"Who was it?"

"His name's Cotton, Mr Billings. Just a moment sir." The guard turned his attention to someone standing behind him. Then he called out again, "I'm told his name is Leroy Cotton, don't know much more than that sir." Prison guards on horseback were beginning to take their places around the wagons as the cons began to walk through the open gates.

"Mr. Paine, " Billings said, "The guards will see to it that the cons get to the depot and onto the train. Once all of them are accounted for, I will meet you at the depot with the paper work to sign them over to you. In the meantime if you will excuse me, I need to check on this hanging."

"Of course, we will see you at the depot before we leave."

They started to walk to their horses when Levi noticed Badger was missing. He turned and looked in all directions, then he noticed that Sallie-May was also missing. Casper Hayes was in his saddle when he saw the concerned look on Levi's face. "Badger's gone back to the train, Levi."

"Without saying anything, to anyone."

"He said all he needed to say, Levi."

"What's that suppose to mean, Casper?"

"It means we should talk."






This book has been professionally edited. Writing chapters on FanStory allowed me to get valuable feedback in order to work out the details. So what is read here may not be exactly the same as what ended up in the book. This book was published on Oct. 4th, 2020.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mr. Green All rights reserved.
Mr. Green has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.