Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 5, 2019 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The police are headed towards him as he carries out a job.

A chapter in the book Debt Collector

Up in Flames

by Mistydawn


Summary

Jeff is told he can help Bruno Bambini with his shady business or watch his family die a slow, painful death. How far will Jeff go to save the ones he loves? So far he's stolen a car and has been chased by the cops. He escapes from that only to be sent to another job. Jeff hears sirens in the middle of his second job.


**

Jeff sees red and blue lights brighten the starless sky. The sirens continue to get closer, paralyzing him with fear. His body starts to tremble as he continues to watch the horrific scene unfold. I have to get out of here. Dropping the gas can down beside him, Jeff heads towards the tall brush.

They've got me now. I'm going to jail for a long, long time and my family is going to die. His entire body continues to tremble as his stomach churns with fury. Wrapping his arm around his middle, Jeff ducks down in the weeds as far as he can. I'm not cut out to be a criminal, I'm just not, he thinks, nestling down among the cold, wet grass.

He feels something thud against the middle of his back."I give up," he yells, tossing his hands out in front of him. A large striped cat hisses then dart towards the woods.

"I'll get you, you mangy beast," he yells. Arching his back, the wild creature hisses one last time before he scurries away.

Jeff looks up to find red and blues glimmering across the evening sky before disappearing down the alley. "They're responding to another call." He chuckles.

***

Joe and Rachel see the squad room only contains a handful of people when they step through the door.

"This is much better," Joe replies as he heads to their designated section. "Do you have a list of stolen cars ready for us yet, Jerr?" he asks, plopping down in the chair.

"There's only been two reported stolen in the past week. The Corvette and an old Neon."

"A Neon is little," Rachel says.

"Yeah, but this one was found at Miller's Pond yesterday evening. Apparently, their son and a few of his buddies decided to take it for a joyride and ran out of gas."

"For god sakes, Jerry, expand your search, go statewide," Joe yells. Springing from his chair, he storms towards the captain's office.

Jerry glances over at Rachel, a dumbfounded expression on his face. "What went on out there?"

"I'm not exactly sure. One minute he's laughing at something I said and the next he's in a foul mood."

"What did you say?"

"I told him my opinion on this case, how I wouldn't use my own car to commit a crime. He laughs and says it's cute how I explained it. Next thing I know he's biting my head off."

Now I understand, Jerry thinks. "I'll talk to him, find out what's going on."

Joe walks into his boss's office and closes the door behind him.

The captain glances up from his desk. "Do you need something, Sergeant?"

Joe plops down on the couch. Taking a deep breath, he begins. "I'd like to transfer, sir."

"I thought you liked it here, Joe."

"I do, did, but a situation came up, making it impossible for me to work here anymore."

"Maybe if we talk about it, figure out a solution, you won't have to leave."

"I'd rather not discuss it, sir; it's sort of a personal matter."

"Is it one of your partners? I can always reassign them if it is?"

"I really can't discuss it, sir."

"I'll see what I can do, but you do realize you'll probably get demoted and take a huge cut in pay?"

"I figured I might."

"I'll let you know what I find."

"Thank you, sir." 

Jerry is scanning through a list when he sees Joe shuffle towards his desk. "I'm still working on your report, boss."

"I'm sorry I snapped at you."

"It's ok."

"No it's not and I'm sorry. I shouldn't have taken out my frustration on you."

"I know why you're so upset, boss."

Joe raises his brow. "And why is that?"

"You have feelings for Rachel and don't know what to do."

"I don't have feelings for her."

"I've seen how you look at her, the way you act when you're together."

"I don't know what you think you're seeing, but it sure ain't love."

"You have to admit she's adorable, especially when she's mad."

"She's not adorable, she's an annoying pain in my ass. Someone I'm forced to put up with because she's the boss's daughter."

"Really, Joe?" Joe turns to see Rachel behind him. "Is that how you really feel about me, you think I'm a pain in your ass? Well, let me tell you something, mister." She begins, poking him in the chest. "Putting up with you isn't a walk in the park. I... Oh, what's the use?" She storms away.

Joe turns towards Jerry, fire in his eyes. "You could've told me she was back there."

"I, ah... Well... I..." Joe stomps towards the bunks.

***

Luigi finds Jeff climbing out of the bushes when he heads to the back. "I bet he threw up too." Luigi chuckles as he continues on. "Are you all right, pal?"

"I'm doing a lot better now that the cops are gone." Jeff brushes the soil from his suit.

"You better do the job now, while they're on another call." Luigi hands him the gas can and a fresh book of matches.

"But they're right down the road."

"That's why you need to hurry." Jeff looks towards the alley and then at the structure. "I can always tell the boss you refused, but you know what the consequences will be."

"OK, I'll do it, I'll do it." He reluctantly walks across the yard. I could just start a small fire, something easy to contain. But I'll have to make it look good, so he doesn't catch on. He splashes a few drops of liquid on the edge of the building, then throws the remaining aside. Here it goes. He nervously glances around. He lights a match, the wind blows it out. He tries another, the wind blows it out too. His hands begin to shake. I have to do this for my family. He tries again. The entire book catches fire. Hurling the cardboard towards the bowling alley, he dashes to his car. Jeff looks back to find the entire building engulfed in flames. I didn't mean for that to happen, he thinks, peeling out of the parking lot.

***

With the girls down for the night, Julie decides to watch a little TV until Jeff returns. Now would be a good time to catch up on my favorite show, she thinks, excited to have a little me time for a change. She feels something hard pierce the center of her back when she reaches the bottom stair; a firm hand squeezes her shoulder. She whimpers.

"Make one more sound and your entire family dies. Nod if you understand." Julie shakes her head as a tear rolls down her face. "Good, let's go." He pushes her towards the front room.

Characters
Jeff Donaldson, the man forced to commit crimes to save his family
Julie Donaldson, Jeff's wife
Abby, Rebecca Donaldson, Jeff and Julie's girls
Luigi Ricci, Bruno Bambini's goon
Bruno Bambini, kingpin.

Berryville PD
Joe, sergeant
Rachel, detective
Jerry, detective,
Sharon, ME, head of forensics

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.