Supernatural Fiction posted March 31, 2019 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE IMMORTAL

My Beloved

by scongrove




Background
I'm excited to share my fifth Novel of the Breedline series. It's still in working progress, so all your feedback is appreciated. Enjoy!
Roman Kincaid stood outside the parking lot of Nate’s bar where he’d last seen the beautiful red-headed angel, a hopeless expression marring his face. The Wolf’s Lair was completely empty. Closed down for repairs, due to the extensive damage from what humans thought to be an earth quake, but in truth, they’d fought the most dangerous supernatural beings the Breedline and his kind had ever encountered. When all hope appeared to be lost, from out of nowhere, five magnificent, black-winged battle angels crashed through the bar’s roof in the nick of time. Without haste, the angels—who towered at least ten feet or more—rendered the Fury powerless.

As he watched them take flight and disappear into the night’s sky with the defeated trio in their custody, he felt an unfamiliar ache in the center of his chest. The pain brought on by the angel named Lailah. When Roman first laid eyes on her, he knew she was the one. He could feel it deep down in his soul. Her long red hair that tumbled around her delicate and flawless shoulders would forever haunt his dreams. Her eyes were like the finest emeralds surrounded by thick, dark lashes that accentuated the color. And the freckles on her cheeks beckoned him. Why did she continue to affect him so strongly? His heart sped into a wild beat just thinking about her, but she was gone. Now he understood fully for the first time what it was to have a broken heart. 
     
He dragged a hand through his hair and let out a frustrated sigh, wondering whether she felt the same, or was this emotion one sided only. In the long run, did it really matter? Hell, she was an angel for crying out loud, and he was just . . . a man. Besides, it wasn’t likely he’d ever see her again. 

The exasperating question plaguing him was whether he should let it go and move on. Forget that he’d ever laid eyes on her. But Roman wasn’t the kind of man to ever give up. His entire life was built on pursuing what he wanted. And Lailah was all he could think about. Deep down, Roman knew the answer to the question he’d posed to himself. He would turn over heaven and hell if that’s what it took to find her.  
    
“What are you doing here?” Lawrence asked as he came up behind Roman and placed his hand on his shoulder.

Roman flinched at the contact, and his pulse leapt in alarm. “Shit.” He snapped his head around. “You ‘bout gave me a damn heart attack, you sneaky bastard.”

Lawrence stepped back. “Sorry, man,” he said with a chuckle, his white teeth flashing against his dark skin. “I didn’t mean to startle you. Is there something you want to talk about, buddy? You seem to have a lot on your mind lately.”

“Nah, I’m good.” Roman waved it off like it was nothing.

Lawrence cocked a brow and his gaze flickered in question. “Roman, I’ve known you for years, and this is the first time I’ve seen you so,” he momentarily paused as if he was mentally searching for the right word, “quiet.” 

Roman sucked in a breath, and his chest rose and fell harshly, as if he was swallowing away his pride. Then he scrubbed both hands over his face and looked at Lawrence pointedly. “I can’t keep a damn thing from you, can I?” 
  
“Nope,” Lawrence said shortly. “Spill it, buddy.”

“So, why are you here?” Roman queried, trying to change the subject.

Lawrence snorted. “Are you trying to avoid the question? I’ll make you a deal. You tell me what’s going on, and I’ll give you my reason for being here. Kapeesh?” 
    
“Okay, here goes nothing.” Roman nervously rubbed his palms together, a look of anxiety simmering in his dark eyes. He didn’t like how vulnerable he felt. How uncertain, and uneasy with what he was about to tell his friend he’d practically known his whole life. Lawrence was the type of guy that would take a bullet for a complete stranger. That kind of selflessness was hard to find. Not many men, no matter what, were willing to sacrifice their lives for someone else.

“I don’t really know how to say what I’m feeling because I don’t truly understand it myself,” Roman continued. “But first, I need you to promise me something.”

“What?” Lawrence asked, his eyes never leaving Roman’s face.

“You can’t tell a soul.” His voice took on a serious tone. The very last thing Roman wanted was his vulnerability broadcast far and wide. "Everyone will think I’m a nut job.”

“You have my word,” Lawrence said. “Whatever you share stays between us.”

“Remember the red-headed angel?” Roman asked.

“How could I possibly forget,” Lawrence said, exhaling a deep breath. “She towered at least ten feet tall with wings that turned to fire, and literally saved our asses.”

In the silence that followed, Lawrence looked at Roman in inquiry and said, “What about her?”

Roman placed his hand against his forehead, trying to collect his jumbled thoughts. It felt as though a ton of bricks was pressing down on him. “Damn it,” he cursed in a low voice. “I feel like I’m losing my damn mind.”

Lawrence placed his palm back on Roman’s shoulder. “Okay, calm down and collect your thoughts. Then tell me exactly what’s going on.”

The soothing note to Lawrence’s voice was like a warm blanket surrounding him, easing some of the tension. Roman slumped and looked down. 

“I . . . bonded with her,” Roman finally managed to choke out. The words came out as scrambled as his thoughts were. “I know it sounds crazy . . . but I swear it happened. And I can’t get her out of my head.” Roman looked up at Lawrence as if he was pleading for help. “What the hell am I going to do?”

“Everything will be all right,” Lawrence said with calm Roman sure as hell didn’t feel. “We’ll figure this thing out.”

Roman shook his head. “But how?” he said, panic fluttering deep in his gut. “It’s not like I can just go looking for her. She’s a freakin’ angel.”

“Roman, listen to me. You’ve got to pull yourself together. Losing your shit won’t solve anything. You hear me?”

Roman nodded numbly. “Yeah, you’re right.”

“Okay, here’s what I’m going to do, buddy. I know someone that can help us. She has,” Lawrence briefly paused, and let out a long sigh, “special talents.”

“What kind of special talents?”

“She can speak to angels.”

Roman rolled his eyes. “Are you talking about a psychic medium?”  

“No. This person is something entirely different. In another life, she was a guardian angel.”

“Oh, come on, Lawrence,” Roman groaned. “You really believe that?”

“Why not?” Lawrence shrugged his shoulders. “Look at us. We’re not exactly human, now are we?”

“I guess you’ve got a point there.” 

“I’m sure she’ll do everything she can to help you,” Lawrence said.

“How do you know? This person . . . doesn’t even know me.”   
 
“Because . . .,” Lawrence patted Roman’s shoulder and smiled reassuringly, “she’s my sister.”

“Melanie?” Roman said in bewilderment.

“Yep,” Lawrence said shortly.

He stared at Lawrence as if afraid to believe the unbelievable. “I can’t believe it.” His eyes rounded. “So, how come you never told me about this before?” 
  
“What would you have me say?” Lawrence shook his head. “Oh, by the way, my sister used to be an angel,” he said mockingly. “It’s not exactly something you bring up in ordinary conversation. Besides, it’s not something she’s supposed to talk about.”

Roman squared his shoulders resolutely and then nodded. “Yeah, I get it. You do trust me, right?” he asked. “You know I would never give her secret away.”

“I trust you, Roman.”

As Roman heaved a deep breath, a flicker of hope lightened the stormy gray of his dark eyes. “Then what are we waiting for? I’m ready to go find my angel.”

“Then let’s do this,” Lawrence said. “You can follow me to Melanie’s place. I’ll give her a call on the way.” 
 
As Lawrence turned toward his SUV, Roman called out, “Hey, wait. What was the reason you stopped by Nate’s bar?”

Lawrence looked at Roman and grinned. “Oh, yeah,” he said with a slight chuckle. “No particular reason. I figured something was bothering you, so I followed you here.”

“Thanks, man.”

Lawrence nodded once. “Don’t mention it, buddy.”  

“One more question before we leave,” Roman said with a look of curiosity. “So, how did all this go about? I mean . . . the angel thing with your sister.”

“Sorry buddy.” Lawrence’s forehead crinkled. “That’s something she cannot share.”

Roman cocked a brow. “Ah, I get it.” 

To be continued . . .
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline gene is passed down to offspring that are born identical twins. Although they live among humans, their species must be kept secret.
In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing deadly to the species.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth, are born with telepathic abilities, and have the power to sense the other�?�¢??s emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong that if one dies, the other twin may pass on, especially if they don�?�¢??t have a mate.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When the male comes in contact with her, he instantly feels a simultaneous, desirable attraction and she becomes the most important thing in his life. He is there to love, protect, and cherish her until death. Once they are mated, they bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant, which is only formed with their species. The Covenant is governed and ruled by a head council. The council keeps their laws in order and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - Over centuries, the Breedline Covenant is ruled by a true queen. If there is no queen living, the Covenants are governed by an appointed head council until another one is born. A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. The queen is expected to rule over all the Breedline Covenants where she will be respected and obeyed by all Breedline. This is their absolute True Law.

THE QUEEN'S RING - This ring has been passed down to all Breedline queens for generations. When the new queen places the ring on, it instantly shifts in size to fit her finger.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have an ancient book of laws. If either sex disobeys the Breedline laws, they can be shunned, or no longer protected by their Covenant. If a Breedline takes another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will never have the ability to shift back into human form and cast out as a rogue wolf.

ROGUE WOLF - A Breedline shunned by their Covenant for taking another life out of revenge or evil and forced to live as a wolf until death without the ability to change into human form again. Some rogue wolves form into packs, which can be dangerous for other Breedline species.

RED (BLOOD) MOON - When the full moon passes through the amber shadow of the earth, producing a midnight eclipse visible across North America. So begins a lunar eclipse tetrad, a series of four consecutive total eclipses occurring at approximately six-month intervals. This incredible light beams into the heart of earth's shadow, filling it with a coppery glow and transforming the moon into a great red orb. During this time, all Breedline species that are mated have a strong desire to create an offspring. This is also a time when Breedline females are more fertile for the conception of twins.

ADALWOLF - A species that has the power to shift from their human form into a beautiful creature, twice the size, resembling half man and half wolf. Born with super-strength, they can move from one place to another in supernatural speed. Their eyes take on the appearance of two shimmering diamonds. With the power to regenerate their own cells, an Adalwolf will stop aging at thirty. The moon has no power over them. An Adalwolf is immune to silver. They can bond with any species.

Nathan Gage (a.k.a. Nate) - He is a Breedline and the owner of several upscale night clubs in the largest metropolitan areas of Northern California.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil. Hired as a bodyguard for Valkin Steele - a billionaire funding a group of unethical scientists research - he later learns of Steele's underground sex-trafficking and illegal drug and weapons trade, and informs the Breedline Covenant. He also forms a team of Breedline soldiers who work for a private Special Ops group contracted by the military for missions that no one else can or will do to help put an end to Valkin Steele's corrupt organization.

Lawrence Colbert - A Breedline council member of the New Jersey Covenant, trained in military tactics and as a medic who worked alongside Roman Kincaid, the Special Ops Team, and the Breedline Covenant to help take down Valkin Steele.

The Fury - Three fraternal twins created by an evil German scientist named Dr. Hans Autenburg. Using his own DNA, he mixed it with three other species: A Breedline, an Adalwolf, and a powerful Wiccan. He placed three embryos inside the womb of a full-blooded succubus, named Sonya Hothburn. Taken against her will, Sonya was forced by the mad physician into surrogacy. After their birth, she was forbidden to see her children.

All three were created to destroy the Breedline species and dominate the human world. The first born was called Apollyon, meaning 'destroyer' in Greek. It was also the name of the angel-prince of the infernal regions, the minister of death and author of havoc on earth. He has the strength of ten men, and the power to dematerialize, taking others with him, from one place to another. He can transform into a creature that resembles an Adalwolf, and a vampire-like hybrid. The second born was called Callisto, meaning 'most beautiful.' She has the power of a shield, protecting herself and others from harm. The last child was named Electra, meaning 'the shining one.' She has the power to conduct electricity from her body, using it as a weapon. Inheriting their species instinct and extraordinary power, their thirst to kill became uncontrollable. As they grew up, the Fury became more and more unstable and unruly. With an insatiable hunger for human flesh and unmanageable powers, they became a hindrance to the physician. He had no other choice but to drug and imprison them for all time, each one placed inside a sarcophagus in a state of deep slumber to be forgotten forever until they were set free by their mother.

Battle Angels - Their one purpose for existence is to serve the Creator in war against demons and evil havoc on earth. Unlike any of the Creator's angels: no majestic white wings, no soft angelic voice, and no golden halo continually hovering over their head; the indigenous battle angels, on average, are ten feet tall. Although, a few towered to the height of twelve feet with a more muscular build. All are tattooed with unique warrior markings, black eagle-like wings with armor typical of ancient heroes, and they wield a type of sword associated with a long-gone empire. They are the bravest of angels, who consider only the importance of their mission and are perfectly willing to be destroyed in the service of righteousness. Each angel is gifted with special powers to be used as weapons to fight against the dark side. They are particularly fond of the human race and consider themselves humanity's special protectors.

Lailah - She is a battle angel gifted with holy fire used to trap or immobilize demons and other evil supernatural beings, rather than killing them outright. Forty-one years ago, in her human life at age seventeen, she was savagely murdered. But the crime was never solved. Her younger brother is Detective Manuel Sanchez who has spent most of his life trying to catch her killer.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.