Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 30, 2019 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Jeff is summoned to another job

A chapter in the book Debt Collector

No Rest for the Wicked

by Mistydawn


Summary

Jeff is told he can help Bruno Bambini with his shady business or watch his family die a slow, painful death. How far will Jeff go to save the ones he loves? So far he's stolen a car and chased by the cops.

Joe is reviewing a report at his desk when the captain walks over to him. "Hey, Joe," he says, putting his hand on the detective's shoulder. Joe nearly jumps out of his seat. Jerry snickers.

"You would think that's funny." Joe sneers. Jerry chuckles again.

"What case has you so jumpy?" The captain questions, glancing towards his desk.

"The Italian mafia sting. According to my research, Bambini has people from all over the world working for him."

"I don't doubt it a bit," he says, as he continues to read over Joe's shoulder. They've been trying to take down Bambini and his crew for well over a year, but they're no closer now than when they first began.

"Do you need something, sir?"

"I just got word that the guy you're tailing had his car stolen in the Wal-mart parking lot a few hours ago."

"Did anyone see it happen?" Joe asks.

"Witnesses claim two white men pulled up in a black coupe and that a man approximately six foot three with sandy blond hair drove it away."

"Did they give any specifics on the second perp?"

"Just that he's a Hispanic male in his early thirties. "

"Their description fits half the men in Berryville." Jerry started on the force ten years ago, he's been a detective for five.

"Maybe the security footage will help?" Joe's been on the force fifteen years the last five as a sergeant.

"It would if there was any." Seeing their inquisitive look the captain continues, "The manager claims their camera was knocked out in the storm."

"I'll run a search on two-door coupes and narrow the list from there."

"Keep me posted, Jerry."

"I will, captain."

Joe starts reading the report again. It's scary to think that one man can have so much power, he thinks as he scans through a list of prestigious men.

"Hey Joe," Rachel says.

He jumps again. "I wish you guys wouldn't sneak up on me."

His partner snickers. Noticing Joe shooting daggers at him, Jerry glances towards his desk as he tries to stifle a grin.

"That case really has you spooked."

"I think Bambini has everyone who's anyone under his thumb." He taps the computer screen. "It's probably the reason why we can't make any charges stick."

"We'll take him down eventually, Joe."

"I hope so." He runs his fingers through his thinning hair. "So how's your friend?"

"Turns out her husband came home and forgot to reset the alarm. And the picture Julie found is a present from their neighbor. He claims he wanted to capture their special day."

"I wouldn't like my neighbors taking a picture of me in my yard."

"You don't have to worry about that, boss." Jerry grins.

"And why is that?"

"Your neighbors wouldn't want to risk breaking their camera to take a picture of your ugly mug."

"Says the guy who hasn't had a date in months."

"How can I date when you work me like a dog?"

"Is that what you're telling yourself, these days?" Joe laughs.

"I don't see women lined up at your front door."

"That's because you scared them all away."

Jerry puts his feet on his desk. "Grab the shovel cause it's fixin to get deep in here." Joe gives him dagger looks again. The detective snickers.

"What are you researching, Jerry?" Rachel questions as she walks towards his desk.

"There was a carjacking at Walmart this afternoon. The witness said the crook got out of a black coupe, so I'm running a search, see what I can find."

"Are you having any luck?"

"I've found two so far, but neither fits our suspect's description."

"What if the thief borrowed their car?"

"Want to check them out for me?"

"Sure." Rachel has been on the force six years, two years as a detective. Her career started after she helped Joe and Jerry solve the Berryville widow maker case. She first wanted to be a PI but switched her choice mid-training.

***

Grabbing the last two dishes from the counter, Julie heads into the other room. "Supper is ready, guys," she announces, placing the last of the food on the table.

"It looks delicious, honey,"

"Yeah, delicious, mommy." Abby reaches for the mashed potatoes.

"We have to say grace first, Abby."

"I almost forgot." She sheepishly sets the bowl back down. They had just bowed their heads when Jeff's cell phone rings.

"You know how I feel about phones at the table, Jeff."

"Sorry honey, it won't happen again." Julie has always been adamant about dinner being quality family time, where they catch up on everyone's day.

He starts to turn off the device when he realizes who it is. I can't ignore Luigi, I just can't. He glances at Julie again. "I really need to take this." Springing from the table, he heads towards the back. "Hello?" He answers as he slips into the kitchen. "Another job already?" he whispers, glancing towards the door. "No, no, I'll do it." ... "Bowling alley at eight got it."... "Don't worry, I'll be there."... "I know what'll happen if I don't show."

***

The detective and his sergeant are trying to finish their work despite the chaos around them. There'd been a hit and run on the square and it seems that over half the town witnessed the horrific event. Fed up with the clamor, Jerry decides to move into the captain's office. He's in the process of gathering his belongings when he sees Rachel shuffling through the mass.

"Did you find anything?" he shouts over the noise.

"Huh, what?"

"Did you find anything?" Jerry repeats.

"The owners claim they haven't loaned their vehicles to anyone and they obviously haven't driven them in a while."

"I have a few more names for you, but they all live a distance away." He hands her a piece of paper.

She quickly scans through the report. "Looks like I'm taking a road trip."

Joe glances up from his desk. "I'll go too; I need to get out of this madhouse before I go completely nuts."

"It's a little late for that, boss." Jerry laughs.

"Yeah, well, I hate to break it to you bud, but you're not that far behind."

***

Julie is cleaning up the last of the supper dishes when Abby runs into the kitchen.

"Save me, Mommy, save me," she begs, dodging behind her legs.

"What's going...?"

Rebecca storms into the room. "Give her back, Abby, right now."

"I don't have your stupid doll, so there. " She sticks out her tongue.

"I saw you take her."

"Did not."

"Did too." Rebecca reaches around her mother, Abby dodges out of the way.

"You missed me, you missed me." Abby chants. Furious, Rebecca tries again.

"Wait, stop, what's going on?" Julie questions.

"She took my doll and I want her back."

"Here, take your stupid toy. I didn't want to play with her anyhow." She holds it towards her sister. Rebecca reaches for it, Abby snatches it away.

"You have to catch me first." Running around the island, Abby races through the door.

"You give her back," Rebecca orders, chasing after her.

"Give your sister her doll, Abby."

"I've got it," Jeff yells from the other room.

I doubt if those two will ever get along, Julie thinks, finishing her chores. She'd just put away the last of the dishes when her family screams. "Now what." Throwing the dish towel on the cabinet, she runs into the front room. She finds the three of them standing on the couch.

"What's all the screaming about?"

"There's a spider in the house, Mom."

"A large ugly one with teeth," Abby adds, pointing below her.

"Oh come on, you guys aren't scared of a little insect are you?" She laughs. Picking up a newspaper, Julie swats at the intruder and misses. She starts to try again, the bug charges towards her. Screaming, Julie jumps on a chair. "The thing tried to attack me."

"Us too," Jeff says, looking towards the floor.

"What are we going to do now, Mom?"

"I think the man of the house should kill it," she hands the rolled up newspaper to her husband.

"Oh no, I'm not getting down there with that demonic thing." He pushes the weapon away.

"Well, we certainly can't stay up here all night."

"Maybe we could throw something at it, scare it away?"

"Like what?"

"A shoe?"

Julie quickly scans their feet. "No one is wearing any."

"Oh."

Julie glances at the spider and then her family. This is ridiculous. Taking a big gulp of courage, Julie steps off her chair. Her feet barely make it to the tile when they hear a loud commotion in the other room. 


Characters
Jeff Donaldson, the man forced to commit crimes to save his family
Julie Donaldson, Jeff's wife
Abby, Rebecca Donaldson, Jeff and Julie's girls
Luigi Ricci, Bruno Bambini's goon
Bruno Bambini, kingpin.

Berryville PD
Joe, sergeant
Rachel, detective
Jerry, detective,
Sharon, ME, head of forensics
 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.