Commentary and Philosophy Script posted March 27, 2019 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The outcry for gun control

A chapter in the book You Didn't Ask...But

You Didn't Ask...But #2: Gun Control

by Brett Matthew West

"Gun Control"

INT. GUNSHOP. DAY

FADE IN

Narrator
Did you know a recent Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll claims a majority of Americans favor stricter gun laws. There goes the 2nd Amendment right out the window. However, let's more closely examine what this poll attempts to imply.

Pollster
Sixty-seven percent of Americans support making US gun laws stricter.

Narrator
One built-in bias of this statistic remains this poll was conducted mainly after the New Zealand mosques shootings. Very tragic! But, had this poll been taken prior to these events, and people outraged over them, the question becomes how many Americans would then support stricter gun control laws?

Pollster
Many Americans would prefer military-style semi-automatic weapons and high capacity magazines be more stringently controlled.

Narrator
This point we can agree on up to the extent tighter controls on these types of weapons could well lead to less mass shootings because fewer people with that ill intent on their minds would have harder access in obtaining them. A universal background check, and permitting courts to deny those considered dangerous to arm themselves, would also aid in this. However, that opens another can of worms regarding who, and what, determines the criteria for such decisions.

Pollster
Few national gun control restrictions have been enacted in the United States recently.

Narrator
That's because the right to bear arms is written into the US Constitution. Furthermore, approximately seventy-five percent of American gun owners, according to a 2017 Pew Research Center poll, feel a right to own a gun is essential to their sense of freedom.

Pollster
The strength of gun control restrictions being imposed appears highest after mass shootings occur.

Narrator
Soon thereafter, the ebb of that support fades into oblivion. So does the number of people who claim gun laws should be much stricter. Here's the point to ponder about all this: no gun picks itself up and fires at anyone. It's the hand that gun is in that kills. Until the next time.

FADE OUT




I'll Shoot Ya, by Mr Jones, selected to complement my script.

So, thanks Mr Jones, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my script.

NOTE: Mr Jones is not a nit. He did not place a period after "Mr" so I did not either.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.