General Fiction posted March 25, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A fairy tale

The Fairy & The Sparrow

by Heather Knight


The little sparrow was born without wings. His mother loved him, but was also irritated by his inability to notice he was different.

'Time for our flying lesson,' she would say to her offspring, and they would all jump happily at the prospect... including him.

Time went past, and the poor little sparrow finally realized he wasn't like the others. He hopped cheerfully from branch to branch, but sometimes he wished he could fly.

One day, while his brothers and sisters were traveling to a nearby forest to look for yummy worms, he saw a bright light moving towards him.

Finally the light landed opposite him and he noticed it was a tiny little girl.

'How come you can fly and I can't?' the little bird asked her.

'Because I'm a fairy and fairies fly.'

'Birds fly too... except me. I was born like this... without wings.'

'And does it make you sad?'

'Sometimes. I wish I could be like the other birds.'

'Maybe we can do something about it. Do you trust me?'

'I guess...' the sparrow looked doubtful. But before he had time to say anything else, the fairy picked him up and carried him to the ground.

'Why did you bring me down here? Mum has told me never to leave our tree. How will I go up to my nest again?'

'Wait and see.'

The fairy pulled from one of her wings till it came loose and then did the same with the second one. Finally, she attached them to the little sparrow's back.

'You've given me your wings?'

'I have. You need them more than me. Why don't you try them out?'

The little sparrow fluttered his wings with all his might and was flying in no time.

The fairy looked at him from down below and smiled. Her sacrifice had been worthwhile.

That night, when Mother Sparrow came back to the nest, her little son told her what had happened to him and even though she didn't fully believe him, she was happy for him.

The fairy walked back to her kingdom. It was a long trip that took her almost a month, but when she finally arrived home, she noticed she was sprouting new wings.

Double happy ending. Cool or what?



Recognized


I got the idea for this story from this song:
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.