War and History Non-Fiction posted March 19, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
conscience is not God

Prayer Problems Pondered

by Deniz22


Psalm 77

I cried out to God with my voice— To God with my voice; And He gave ear to me.

COMMENT: "Cried out"---repeated twice to emphasize the benefits of vocal prayer, especially in times of intense stress. The Psalm is written after the spiritual crisis it prompted has passed: hind sight shows God heard...a fact not always obvious initially.

SCRIPTURE: In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord; My hand was stretched out in the night without ceasing; My soul refused to be comforted.

COMMENT: Trouble comes to all, and may follow us to bed where the ordinary distractions of the day fall away and we must face our trouble. The Psalmist sought not a solution so much as the Savior. No temporal comfort will do in real trouble; we must have Jesus and His love.

SCRIPTURE: I remembered God, and was troubled; I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. (Selah) You hold my eyelids open; I am so troubled that I cannot speak.

COMMENT: “I remembered” means I forgot God, and now added to my present (unnamed) difficulty, is an uneasy conscience regarding my relationship with God.

You, God, are not allowing me to fall into the temporal blessing of sleep so you may teach me something more important than physical rest.

How often we find ourselves stressed out and yet experience greater stress when coming to God for help as we feel our waywardness and neglect of our God in more pleasant times!

The “Accuser of the Brethren” joins the voice of own conscience to strangle our call for help from our God.

It is right here that Hebrews 4:14-16 gives us guidance in this “catch 22” situation:

“Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”

SCRIPTURE: “I have considered the days of old, The years of ancient times. I call to remembrance my song in the night; I meditate within my heart, And my spirit makes diligent search. Will the Lord cast off forever? And will He be favorable no more? Has His mercy ceased forever? Has His promise failed forevermore? Has God forgotten to be gracious? Has He in anger shut up His tender mercies? Selah

COMMENT: Here we observe, Grace is winning the inner battle...and is it not grace which brought the Palmist into temporal trouble for his eternal good? He is regaining spiritual perspective and clarity regarding truth.

SCRIPTURE: And I said, “This is my anguish;

COMMENT: now he realizes his trouble (perhaps physical) is affecting his mental and spiritual health. (a good thing to know in times of suffering)

SCRIPTURE: “But I will remember the years of the right hand of the Most High.” I will remember the works of the Lord;
Surely I will remember Your wonders of old. I will also meditate on all Your work, And talk of Your deeds.

COMMENT: Observe here the way to spiritual health:

1. Remember God and His wonders

2. Meditate on Biblically recorded memories of Him

3. Talk about Him and His works

SCRIPTURE: Your way, O God, is in the sanctuary;

COMMENT: another way of saying “GO TO CHURCH!” Learn about God more and more by going to a true church where the Bible is fully taught and not tailored to fit the taste of the times! God has given His Scriptures to the church but He has also given men who understand the scriptures, so they can instruct others in God’s truth. Those instructed then become instructors as well.

SCRIPTURE:  "Who is so great a God as our God? You are the God who does wonders; You have declared Your strength among the peoples. You have with Your arm redeemed Your people, The sons of Jacob and Joseph. Selah The waters saw You, O God; The waters saw You, they were afraid; The depths also trembled. The clouds poured out water; The skies sent out a sound; Your arrows also flashed about. The voice of Your thunder was in the whirlwind; The lightnings lit up the world; The earth trembled and shook. Your way was in the sea, Your path in the great waters, And Your footsteps were not known. You led Your people like a flock By the hand of Moses and Aaron. Psalm 77:1-20 NKJV

COMMENT: The Psalmist has gone from groaning to a new experience of grace, causing growth in his soul to the glory of God! May it be so with us as well.

 



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Deniz22 All rights reserved.
Deniz22 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.