Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 3, 2019 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Tommy continues to run from the law.

A chapter in the book Eyes on You

On the Move

by Mistydawn


Summary
Tommy is told that his pregnant wife Jen's condition is declining and that the only thing that'll save her is a heart transplant. He's then informed the hospital requires $10,000 for her aftercare. Being denied financial assistance, Tommy turns to a life of crime; robbing houses, and then selling the stolen goods for cash. He and his two friends are in the middle of a job when the owners returns. The police question Tommy, releasing him soon after. Tommy is attacked by a dog trying to rob a house on his own. He discovers three dead bodies when he makes it inside. Tommy grabs the contents of the safe and flees. The neighbor informs the police of his escape. He's taken to the station for the second time. With an alibi for the time of the murders, he's released. The doctor informs him that Jen needs the operation within a week. In great desperation, he asks Hernandez for his job back. A job he supported himself with until he was old enough to get a legitimate job. Tommy managed to evade the law at a job site and then again at his friend's house.


Tommy is sleeping soundly, parked between the building and a dumpster when he's startled awake by pounding coming from the side glass. He sleepily turns to see a man dressed in blue standing beside his vehicle. "It's the cops." In a state of panic, Tommy springs up in his seat. Starting his car, he glances at the intruder one last time before he speeds away.

The man chuckles as he walks back to his truck. "I think I scared the shit out of him, Bart," he says as he watches the vehicle fade out of sight.

Tommy's thoughts are going a mile a minute as he speeds towards the outskirts of town. I have to get rid of this car now the police know what I'm driving. Where can I get another one and where will I go when I do? I bet Hernandez will help me. I'll be taking a big risk driving back through town. I know, I'll call my boss, see if he can meet me somewhere. He scoops the phone off the seat. "I have Jimmy's phone not mine." He tries to recall his number when another comes to mind. "It's worth a shot." He punches the digits into the phone. I hope he's willing to help, Tommy thinks as he waits for the call to connect.

"Hello?" a sleepy voice replies.

"Mike, it's Tommy. I'm in big trouble, man and I need your help."

Rubbing his eyes, Mike glances towards his clock. "Do you know what time it is?"

"I know and I'm sorry to wake you, but the police are on my ass and I don't know what to do."

"What?" He springs up in his bed. He suddenly recalls what a prankster Tommy can be. "Wait, you're playing a joke on me, right?"

"No, I'm dead serious, man, I'm running from the law."

"And I'm Santa Claus. Good night, Tommy."

"Wait, don't hang up, Mike, Mike." Tommy redials his number.

"What is it now?"

"The police think I killed someone." Tommy blurts into his phone.

"You didn't, did you?"

"They were already dead when I got there."

"You have to go to the cops and straighten this whole mess out."

"And take the chance of being thrown in jail?" Tommy asks as he nervously shifts in his seat.

"It's better than running for the rest of your life, isn't it?"

Horrid scenarios flash through his mind. Tommy first pictures being gunned down in the street, He then pictures himself being killed in an accident during his grand attempt to flee. He's right, I can't keep running like this. "Will you help me?"

"So much for sleeping in." Mike exhales loudly as he tosses the covers back. "What do you want me to do?"

"Meet me at the park in ten."

***

Pulling into the driveway, Kirk jumps out of his car. This is the last house on my list, he thinks, walking up the weed infested sidewalk. He was told to recanvass the area, see if the neighbors can tell him more.

"Can I help you?" A deeply accented voice asks.

"My name is Detective Richardson and I'd like to ask you a few questions about the Harrises." He takes a notebook from his pocket.

"They were such sweet souls, would help anyone who asked them. They even helped several charities through the years. You know they just celebrated their sixty-fifth wedding anniversary. Had a huge turnout too."

"Can you think of anyone who would want to kill them?"

"The only people I can think of are the criminals Frank arrested years ago."

"Arrested, I thought he was a school teacher."

"He was, he was also the acting sheriff for a while."

"Did you see anyone visit them that morning?"

"No, but their grandson and his friend stayed over the night before, left early the next morning. Then a young man came by mid-afternoon, he didn't stay long."

I thought John said he left the night before. "What time did the grandson and this friend leave?"

"I was sitting on the porch drinking my morning coffee so I'd say around six, six-thirty."

"Do you happen to know the friend's grandson's name?"

"His last name is Hernandez I believe. That's what John calls him anyhow."

"Do you know his first name or his parent's name?"

"I'm afraid not, sorry."

"The guy who visited them, he's the one driving the black coupe, correct?"

"Yes."

"Well, thank you for your time."

***

"What brings you to the lab, Jerry?" Sharon asks, as the detective steps through the door.

"I miss your sweet face."

"You're so full of it." She nervously laughs.

"I do, honest"

"Oh, Jerry." She blushes. She's had a thing for him for a while but was too afraid to say so.

"Are you busy Friday night?"

"No, why," she asks, trying to contain her excitement.

"Because we have a backlog of evidence we need to work through."

"Evidence." She punches him in the arm.

"Hey, what was that for," he asks, rubbing the area she hit.

"She thought you were asking her out." Don chuckles.

"Out where?" He teases, trying to contain a smile.

"You know, dinner and a movie."

"Sounds great, Sharon, thanks for asking."

"Oh, Jerry." Laughing Jerry heads towards the door. "Hey, wait, I have something to show you."

"Shouldn't show and tell come during our date?"

"Jerry." She self consciously covers herself as she glances over at Dave.

Jerry chuckles. "So what is it you want to show me? Handing him a ballistics report she explains. "The gun at the crime scene is
registered to an Antonio Hernandez. I checked unsolved cases and found five homicides tied to this gun."

"I thought you said the gun belonged to John Harris?"

"One of them does, but that's not the gun that was used in the shooting, Antonio Hernandez's is.

"Why would he want to kill the Harrises? And why would he kill Charles Montgomery if he works for him? This doesn't make a bit of sense. Were there any prints?"

"I found one on the bullet. I'm looking for a match now."

"I don't see a career criminal like Hernandez killing an elderly couple and I doubt they'd leave his gun behind."

"Maybe it fell out of his pocket," Don suggests.

"Stranger things have happened," Sharon adds.

"Thanks for the information, and the date." Jerry smiles. He heads back upstairs to tell the sergeant the news.

"So Hernandez shot the Harrises and Charles?"

"That's what the ballistics report shows. Sharon said there are five unsolved cases tied to the gun."

"Get everyone together and I'll get an arrest warrant for Hernandez."

"Sergeant, Tommy just asked his friend Mike to meet him at the park."

"I'll head over there, Jerry I want you to get a task force ready and see if Joe can get you the warrant."

The dispatcher walks towards them. "Sergeant, this man wants to talk to you about Tommy Campbell."

***
Tommy nervously sits in the park waiting for his friend to show. He told him to be here in ten minutes, forty minutes ago. He tried calling his home and his cell, but he isn't picking up.

I hope he hasn't changed his mind. What if he went to the police trying to help me? I bet that's what he's doing, finding a way to clear my name. The way he blabbers he may end up doing me more harm than good. He wouldn't tell them where I am, would he? No, John isn't a snitch. What if the police tricked him into giving me up? They are good at things like that. Panic quickly sets in. I have to get out of here. He tries to start the car, the ignition clicks in response. I thought he got this thing fixed. He starts to try again when he sees Mike pull into the park. It's about damn time, he thinks, hopping out of the car.

"Hey Tommy, I talked to the police and you're in the clear, man."

"What do you mean I'm in the clear?"

"They said your alibi checks out for the time of the murder, but they still want to talk to you, find out why you were there. I told them you check on Alma and Frank often, that they're like family to you. I think they believe me, I really do, but they still want to talk to you, to confirm it."

 Tommy looks up to see a cruiser pull into the park. He glances back at his friend. "You told them where I was?"

 Mike looks back to see squad cars pulling into the park. "I didn't know I was being followed."

 "Get out!"

"What?"

"Get out of the car."

"You're in the clear." Pulling Mike out, Tommy climbs inside.

"You don't have to run anymore."

"That's what they want you to believe," he says, throwing the car in drive.

Characters
Tommy main conspirator to the crime
Vinnie, Larry Tommy's friends
Jen, Tommy's wife
Salois Brothers Andy, Jeremy, Jack career criminals.
Berryville PD
Kirk- detective.
Rachel sergeant
Joe captain
Jerry detective



Book of the Month contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.