Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted February 20, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The cock is crowing on the dung hill.

The Sick Chickens Have Arrived

by LisaMay


Who’s in the crow’s nest?
Sick chickens come home to roost
and the feathers fly.

 




Witty animal 5-7-5 contest writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a 5-7-5 Poem. It has three lines. The first line has 5 syllables. The second line has 7 syllables. The third line has 5 syllables again. The subject is a witty animal poem. No other rules apply.


For this contest, just in case someone says "But a bird isn't an animal", here is what Wiki says: The bird group is one of six basic animal groups, with the others being amphibians, fish, invertebrates, mammals and reptiles.

The following are definitions of terms used in this poem:

"Crow's nest" : A crow's nest is a structure in the upper part of the main mast of a ship or a structure that is used as a lookout point. This position ensured the best view for lookouts to spot approaching hazards, other ships, or land. It was the best device for this purpose until the invention of radar.

"Chickens come home to roost" : As a proverbial expression it's half a millennium old. The older fuller form was "curses are like chickens; they always come home to roost", meaning that your offensive words or actions are likely at some point to rebound on you.

"The feathers fly" : When people are fighting or arguing angrily, we can say that feathers are flying.

Basically: If you don't keep a proper lookout and safeguard against trouble, problems will turn up and there will be arguments. Could be personal or political, or in your own backyard in the hen coop.

(Thank you to Andres Gerlotti on Unsplash for the photo)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.