General Fiction posted February 18, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Short story ..Just pick up the pieces

Jigsaw

by zanya


"Just pick up the pieces," Ms Henshaw reminded her Tuesday class of seven- year -olds.

As soon as they heard the clang of the lunch bell, they rushed through the door. All except Charlie. Slowly he lifted the last remaining pieces of the big jigsaw off the floor and put them back in the box.

Ms Henshaw busied herself with school work as Charlie dawdled by the jigsaw.

"Teacher," Charlie asked, "may I stay here for lunch?"
Without looking up, Ms Henshaw replied, "don't you want to play with your classmates during lunch, Charlie?"
"No, teacher."
"Why not, Charlie?"
"Mum says not to play with Andrew. He calls me names and steals my crayons."

Ms Henshaw and Charlie finally left the classroom. A strong aroma of french fries filled the air.
Charlie raced through the canteen door.

Ms Henshaw was relieved. Though only six months in her teaching post, she harboured serious doubts about continuing in the classroom. She realised that teaching was not just going to be about A.B, C's.

Walking briskly, Ms Henshaw arrived outside the door of the Head Teacher, Mr Graham.
Mr Graham had been in the role for many years now at St Michans.

Ms Henshaw knocked loudly.
Mr Graham opened the heavy wooden door.
Inside, seated opposite the Head was Andrew. Andrew was explaining to the Head how to construct a new type of mousetrap.

With a wry smile, Mr Graham began, "Ms Henshaw, come and have a look at Andrew's new mousetrap. He has found a new method of dealing with an age-old problem. New pieces for an old jigsaw, as it were."

Ms Henshaw was intrigued. The classroom opened up various windows on the world. Now it was time to take in the view.



What Happened? writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that starts with: "Just pick up the pieces..."
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.