General Non-Fiction posted February 18, 2019 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
an OG copycat recipe that will blow your mind

A chapter in the book Gluten Freedom

Zuppa Toscana #1

by Miranda Langston

Ingredients:

2 packages mild Italian sausage

4 vedalia onions, chopped

4 packed cups kale

10 red potatoes, sliced thin

6 cups chicken broth

2 cups half & half

1 package bacon bits

Salt and pepper to taste

2-3 tbsp red pepper flakes

1.5 large tbsp minced garlic


Directions:

1) In large skillet, cook sausage on med-high heat until no longer pink in center. To cook, you can crumble it like ground beef or roll into balls. You can also cut the meat into small squares.

2) Set precooked sausage aside and sprinkle red pepper flakes over it.

3) In another large skillet, sautee onions, garlic, and bacon bits on medium heat with salt and pepper until onions become soft and translucent. Set pan aside with onion mixture in it.

4) In gumbo pot, pour in 5 cups chicken broth and sliced potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes become very soft (but not mushy). Reduce heat to simmer.

5) Wash kale and pour it into the gumbo pot. Add to the pot the onion mixture and sausage. Lastly, pour in the half & half. Allow the kale to soften slightly and the other ingredients to heat through. If desired, add a bit more salt and stir.

6) Serve and enjoy!




I usually use about half a tsp of salt in the onion mixture and slightly less pepper.

The potatoes typically take half an hour on high heat.

This recipe is a labor of love. It does take a few hours.

Want to shorten the amount of time it will take? Use precooked Italian sausage and sliced new potatoes from a can, although preparing the ingredients the way I described in the recipe makes the soup turn out amazing and it's probably healthier.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Miranda Langston All rights reserved.
Miranda Langston has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.