Children Non-Fiction posted February 17, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a 200 word story using the words Cut the Cord

Cut the Cord

by Chrissy710

"Cut the cord" the midwife said to the new, first time, father.

Dan's hands shook as he placed the scissors between the umbilical cord clamps.

He looked at his new born son, lying across his wife's abdomen, as 
tears of pride welled in his eyes while he gazed at them both.

The labour and delivery had been textbook in it's presentation, as their squirming baby arrived safely.

Debra and Dan had been trying for a baby for some time. Pregnancies occured several times, however for some unexplained reason, Debra had been unable to carry the babies to term, resulting in miscarriage after miscarriage. 

Disappointment and sadness ensued as their hopes faded.

This time things had been different. As the pregnancy progressed they both began to hold out hope. Debra finally reached an uncomplicated full term and her labour began.

With hurried excitement they made their way to the hospital. Met by their primary midwife Joylene, who had carefully monitored Debra's pregnancy with postive advice and reassurance.

The newborn cried loudly. Dan thought, a father at last.

He then heard the midwife's gentle voice encouraging his one, only allotted task.

Joylene steadied his hand, as she now instructed "Cut the cord".

 



Pick a title from the list provided writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Choose one of the following titles.

Asking For It
Cut the Cord
State of My Head
Outcast
How Did You Love
It All Adds Up
Oblivion
Dangerous
Thick as Thieves
Black Cadillac
Misfits

Where does the title take you?

Get writing: poem, fiction, essay, whatever you like!
200 words maximum word count.

The title of your work MUST be the title you chose from the list. (There shouldn't be any confusion in the booth for duplicate entries of title, as your name will be displayed alongside your entry.)

Artwork and author notes welcome.

Recognized


Being a midwife I have seen many fathers cut the cord and this is my story of a very special delivery after years of heartache. A long awaited baby finally arrived and the joy on Dans face was so beautiful to watch as he nervously cut his sons cord ( Tears all around)

Image from Google

Thanks for reading my work

Cheers Christine
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Chrissy710 All rights reserved.
Chrissy710 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.