Fantasy Fiction posted February 16, 2019 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A bit more about Maggie in those discussions...

A chapter in the book Renaissance of Enchantment

Chapter Three, Part 3

by Y. M. Roger




Background
Geoffrey's conversations and such with Koko and Demetrius continue out on the back porch...
Demetrius only turned a profile to Geoffrey as he gracefully removed a pair of sunglasses from his breast pocket and placed them on his handsome face.
 
“Thank y–” Geoffrey began, but the imposing man interrupted him.
 
“And your flight to meet Stephen tomorrow?”
 
Even though Demetrius did not look directly at him, Geoffrey realized the man looming over him still expected an answer. Had he been listening to their conversation the whole time? Where had he been standing? How did Geoffrey miss such a large presence in the immediate area?
 
The strident snapping of Demetrius’ fingers in his face re-focused Geoffrey’s thoughts.
 
“Yes, uhmm, Stephen thinks he’s located her.” Geoffrey noticed Koko’s countenance was back to his usual warm presence and found himself wondering what word it was that Demetrius had...
 
“Located?”
 
This time Demetrius turned slowly toward him. Geoffrey cleared his throat to continue as the beautiful man continued to tower over him.
 
“Well, it seems her father intended to put her in foster care when she was fourteen, but she was never logged into the system. He had a new wife and kids – Marguerite’s mother was out of the picture, apparently – and claims he dropped the girl off. He actually has the signed receipt and –”
 
“A receipt? For a child?” There was no mistaking the incredulousness and the cold menace in Demetrius’ voice.
 
“Uhm, perhaps that’s not the correct term for it.” Geoffrey swallowed as he stared up at his reflection in those completely opaque glasses. “Anyway, it seems there were clerical errors, and then a missing agent and caseworker and, well, they have no actual record of –”
 
“Did not the father follow-up on her placement?” Still so cold. So cutting. And, even though the clear maliciousness did not seem to be directed at him, Geoffrey did find the question odd.
 
Then again, who was he to tell a client what to ask, especially such an attractive and domineering client. As long as he did not disclose confidential information, it was all good.
 
“He was pretty clear that the last contact he had with this Marguerite was the day he obtained his re—uhm, paperwork.” Geoffrey soldiered on, determined to finish his complete statement this time. “But there is no record of actual placement for a Marguerite Atkinson in the system.”
 
“How long ago was that?” No emotion in Demetrius’ voice this time. None.
 
“Just under six years,” Geoffrey continued, “but Stephen and his team think they have located a young lady that fits just about all of our search criteria living in The Bronx.”
 
No sign of further interjection was offered, and Demetrius’ expression stayed as neutral as a statue. No, to be honest, Geoffrey was pretty sure that statues showed a helluva lot more emotion than this man’s face. He swallowed, hoping he had not caused a rift between the two of them.
 
“Which is where I will be going when I meet Stephen tomorrow afternoon.”
 
Just as Geoffrey finished – a feat for which he was quite proud of himself given his ominous audience – the screen door opened and Charlie leaned out.
 
“Everything okay out here?”
 
She had that ‘do I need to kick some ass’ sound in her voice as she eyed his beer-drenched shirt and glanced back at Demetrius and Koko. She raised her eyebrow in question.
 
Geoffrey smiled and tried to offer her his best relaxed face; his wife really should not be privy to his conversations with his clients.
 
No matter how intimidating those clients happened to be.
 
“We’re good, Charlie. Be finished shortly.”
 
Demetrius did not turn to acknowledge her nor did his face turn in the slightest from full focus on Geoffrey. He stood as still as a stone. Koko, on the other hand, grinned like the Cheshire cat and winked at Charlise.
 
“Just guy-talk, beautiful protective one. We will release him to you presently.”
 
Charlie smiled in return; she was always a sucker for Koko’s way with words.
 
“I wish to know the father’s name.” The cold, menacing tone in Demetrius’ voice had returned.
 
Geoffrey frowned at the unexpected request.
 
“Well, I’m not sure that’s appropriate given th-”
 
Demetrius lowered his glasses to look down into Geoffrey’s eyes, and Geoffrey could not look away. The deep, desirable dark chocolate that usually defined those handsome eyes had been replaced. He had never seen such depth, such color variations in ambers and browns as this. A warm feeling suffused his being, and he felt a child-like happiness bubble up inside him.
 
“You will provide me with the father’s name and address, Geoffrey.”
 
The sentence wove its way into the forefront of Geoffrey’s mind and then throughout his entire consciousness. Of course he would give that information to Demetrius. Why had he even hesitated in the first place?
 
Silly him.
 
“Of course, Demetrius.” Geoffrey smiled up at the perfectly handsome man now repositioning his sunglasses to their proper resting place on his face. “I will be sure to get that to you as soon as possible.”
 
“Thank you, my friend.” Demetrius’ voice returned to its normal cadence, and Geoffrey felt the warm feeling subside. But not before Koko reached out and around Demetrius to grasp the lawyer’s shoulder – a reassurance of another kind began to ebb through the already smiling Geoffrey.
 
“You are important to us, honorable one.” Koko’s aura of joy had Geoffrey smiling up at the Native American. “And we are so glad the three of you joined us today.”
 
Koko stepped forward as he spoke and held the door, motioning for Geoffrey to pass inside before himself.
 
Somehow, Demetrius was already gone. Geoffrey glanced all around.
 
Nope. No sign of him. How could he have missed his leaving? He decided it was probably for the best that he not finish his beer.
 
Geoffrey shook his head – more for his own thoughts rather than at anyone else – and thanked Koko for his politeness as he stepped inside.
 
He was suddenly exhausted and ready to go home and get some sleep. He had an early flight out of Huntsville in the morning.
 
to be continued…

 



Recognized


The photo is NOT of The Refuge. The Refuge is an entirely fictitious boarding house and inn created entirely for this novel and has no likeness in our reality.

Rosemary - (deceased) Rosemary Fenna, Sister of the World Wide Hecate Order and Guardian Protectress of The Refuge
Geoffrey Staltson - Rosemary's lawyer and friend to the residents at The Refuge
Demetrius - tall, mysterious male resident of The Refuge, does not seem to socialize with the others
Peadar - Irish male resident of The Refuge, helped Rosemary with upkeep
Lycaois - (aka Lyca) Goth, warrior-looking female resident of The Refuge
Koko - Native American male resident of The Refuge, has unending optimism and warmth about him...most of the time
Kato - large male resident who wears the clothes of a teenager
Charlise Staltson - Geoffrey's wife (they have a three-way marriage - Geoffrey, Gary, and Charlie)
Gary Staltson - Geoffrey's husband
Freki - Lyca's over-sized pet 'dog'
Stephen - private investigator employed by Geoffrey
Jinx - computer hack/whiz working with Stephen, handles all the tech-forensics for investigations


Image of 'Delightful Southern House Plans' at The Image Fixer [theimagefixer.com]
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.