Commentary and Philosophy Script posted February 6, 2019 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
FanStory's only Talk Show - #30: Cardiovascular Disease

A chapter in the book Cracker Croakers (A Talk Show)

Cracker Croakers

by Brett Matthew West

(A note for the regular readers of our show. Crack Croakers will be taking a short hiatus in order for us to respond to the many reviews and pms we have received and are way behind on due to daily time constraints. However, the show will return shortly thereafter.)

"Cardiovascular Disease"

FADE IN

COLTON
What's up, Logan, Utah! It's Wednesday, February 6, 2019. Our show this morning is designed especially for the women in our audience. But don't fret men, you'll get your time to shine in the spotlight too. I'm your host Colton Wyatt and you're watching Cracker Croakers. Women, you have what you believe is a little touch of indigestion. You shy away from the warning signal and don't give it a second thought. Later, they rush you to the ER where you're thankful to be alive. Afterwards, you take up such creative outlets as meditation and clean up your diet to a much healthier one. Perhaps you even lead a support group of female heart patients, who like you, never saw a heart attack coming. Welcome Maranda Tifton to Cracker Croakers. She is a cardiology professor at Bridgeport University.

MARANDA TIFTON
Most caregivers are women who oversee their husbands, their friends, and their families' good health. But, frequently forget to care for themselves. This scenario you described Colton has happened to approximately 44 million women in the United States who have suffered cardiovascular disease.

COLTON
Isn't it true that until recently this insidious monster was considered a "man's disease?"

MARANDA TIFTON
Indeed it was. However, here's reality. Cardiovascular disease slaughters one in three women each year. This makes the ailment the number one killer of women.

COLTON
These statistics are according to the American Heart Association. Interestingly enough, 1 in every 26 women die from breast cancer. In 2004, the AHA began its Go Red for Women campaign. The success of this program has been amazing!

MARANDA TIFTON
Unfortunately, only seventeen percent of women consider cardiovascular disease as something they should pay heed to. Women, this number should be much higher because as many as 90 percent of cardiovascular disease cases are avoidable.

COLTON
You make an interest comment there, Maranda. But, could you better inform our audience about some ways women can reduce their risks of cardiovascular disease?

MARANDA TIFTON
Women can achieve this goal through such things as lifestyle changes and improved diets. On occasion, natural remedies have reversed cardiovascular disease. With the proper care, most incidents of the ailment can be prevented.

COLTON
Let's return back to the late 1990s for a moment. That was when research first determined women were as likely as men to be diagnosed with cardiovascular disease and much more likely to die from the ailment. What are some telltale signs a woman probably has cardiovascular disease?

MARANDA TIFTON
Chest pains, fatigue, indigestion, shortness of breath, neck pain, nausea, jaw pain, backaches, and anxiety can all indicate cardiovascular disease. Unfortunately, they can also be easily overlooked by doctors.

COLTON
So tell us, Maranda, what is the "not now" factor in the area of cardiovascular disease?

MARANDA TIFTON
The "not now" factor is women who display these symptoms for months but claim they don't have time to take care of them.

COLTON
Don't women also have vulnerabilities to developing cardiovascular disease men don't share?

MARANDA TIFTON
They sure do. For instance, smoking while taking birth control pills, as well as pregnancy complications such as gestational diabetes and preeclampsia. The later being indicative of high blood pressure. There can also be lower levels of estrogen during menopause and perimenopause. And, good cholesterol, high bad cholesterol, triglycerides, and arterial plaque all must be considered.

COLTON
What are some side effects of the statins often prescribed for heart disease?

MARANDA TIFTON
Statins are known to cause chronic muscle pain, increased blood sugar, and memory loss. Hypertension medications can create kidney damage and fainting spells.

COLTON
What are some dietary alterations that may lessen cardiovascular disease for women?

MARANDA TIFTON
A plant-based Mediterranean diet is a good place to start. Women may also want to consider less saturated fats, eating more leafy greens, whole grains, fatty fish, olive oil, and avocados.

COLTON
Haven't some specific foods proven to lower cholesterol and blood pressure?

MARANDA TIFTON
Nuts two or more times a week. Blueberries and strawberries, dark purple and red fruits, pomegranate juice, and kale and broccoli for more vitamin K. A serving of these two lowers the risk of heart disease by 23 percent.

COLTON
What about adding supplements to a woman's diet to help fight cardiovascular disease? Any suggestions along those lines, Maranda?

MARANDA TIFTON
They can try Coenzyme Q10 found in sardines, asparagus, and cauliflower. This is a powerful antioxidant. There's also nicotinamide riboside that mimics the impacts of calorie restrictions. Garlic lowers cholesterol and blood pressure. Red yeast rice extract lowers bad cholesterol. And, Omega-3 fatty acids such as walnuts, flax seeds, and hemp are all good vegan sources that lower triglycerides in those women already diagnosed with cardiovascular disease.

COLTON
There you have several methods of taking better care of yourselves, and your hearts, women. Quit being so hard-headed and listen. Join us again when we will be coming to you from Philly. Maybe we will enjoy a cheesesteak there.

FADE OUT




Broken Heart, by GaliaG, selected to complement my script.

So, thanks GaliaG, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my script.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.