Commentary and Philosophy Script posted February 5, 2019 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
FanStory's only Talk Show - #29: Measles Epidemic

A chapter in the book Cracker Croakers (A Talk Show)

Cracker Croakers

by Brett Matthew West


"Measles Epidemic"

FADE IN

COLTON
When I came across the yahoo headline "Vaccination Debate Revised Over Measles Outbreak," I knew I had to bring Cracker Croakers to Portland for a firsthand examination of the controversial debate that rages here concerning this topic. So, welcome to Cracker Croakers for Tuesday, February 5, 2019. I'm your host Colton Wyatt. Joining me on this morning's panel are pediatricians Lynda Stephens and Erica Cloud representing the Multnomah County Public Health Department. Good morning to you both. Let's cut right to the chase, shall we? What do parents' philosophical exemptions have to do with not getting their children vaccinated against a disease eradicated in 2000 in the United States?

DR. LYNDA STEPHENS
It's not that measles has not been eradicated in the United States. The issue stems from overseas travelers returning back to the Portland area. We know of six cases that have surfaced and there is concern of more incidents popping up in the unvaccinated.

DR. ERICA CLOUD
The concern is so vast even the governor of Washington declared a state of emergency for our neighbors to the north. There is also a possibility the situation with this exquisitely contagious disease may flounder for months.

COLTON
In most cases, I believe 43 to be exact at the last count, hasn't it been children under the age of ten who have demonstrated measles? How can this be happening?

DR. ERICA CLOUD
One dose of the measles vaccine is 93 percent effective at preventing measles. The recommended two doses are effective up to 97 percent.

DR. LYNDA STEPHENS
The problem, Colton, particularly up in Clark County, Washington, is that the state permits a nonmedical exemption parents and guardians can receive to allow their children to attend school without being vaccinated simply if the parents object to the vaccine.

COLTON
Why do Oregon and Washington have such high vaccine exemption rates? Are the current numbers not 4 percent of secondary school students in Oregon and 7.5 percent of kindergarteners in Washington?

DR. LYNDA STEPHENS
The whole matter surrounding this epidemic focuses around parental rights. According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, Oregon and Washington are among the 17 states that allow nonmedical exemptions for vaccines for moral and personal reasons.

DR. ERICA CLOUD
Most of these exemptions are located in scattered communities throughout the two states as well as in private and alternative schools.

COLTON
In the meantime, unvaccinated kids, and those they associate with, run a rampant risk of contracting measles all because some parent disagrees with the vaccine. Can somebody tell me what's wrong with this picture?

DR. ERICA CLOUD
Some parents have the misconception that the measles vaccine will cause their children to develop autism.

DR. LYNDA STEPHENS
Another problem is some parents do not want outside authorities mandating what is injected into their children's bodies. Others have concerns about the combination of the measles, mumps, and rubella immunization.

COLTON
Isn't the MMR the normal procedure for combatting measles?

DR. LYNDA STEPHENS
Yes it is and very effectively for several years now. Currently, in Vancouver, Washington a measure was recently introduced that disallows these personal exemptions particularly for the MMR vaccine.

DR. ERICA CLOUD
Right now, the Washington State Legislature is concentrating their efforts on getting this measure passed to require all children receive the MMR vaccination. There are additional plans for broader proposals as well.

COLTON
At seven percent, Oregon has the highest vaccine exemption rate in the United States. This is what I'd like to ask you two medical practitioners about.

DR. LYNDA STEPHENS
In the wake of the present measles outbreak, what most parents opposed to the MMR vaccine realize is they don't necessarily need to understand the issue. That's a red flag.

DR. ERICA CLOUD
However, on the brighter side of this controversy, Oregon may become the first state to revoke these exemptions.

COLTON
How can parents qualify for these nonmedical exemptions that seem to be handed out like candy on Halloween?

DR. ERICA CLOUD
There are two ways parents can accomplish this. Either watch an online educational video and submit a certificate of completion, or talk to a healthcare provider and have them sign a Vaccine Education Certificate.

DR. LYNDA STEPHENS
These videos require fifteen minutes to an hour to view based on the number of exemptions the parent claims. They must also print out the Vaccine Education Certificate, and the nonmedical exemption section of the Certificate of Immunization Status Form, then give them to the child's school. Therefore, obtaining these nonmedical exemptions becomes a fairly simple process.

COLTON (In disbelief)
That's all that is required for parents to receive the exemption?

DR. ERICA CLOUD
Moreover, college students can receive an exemption by viewing the College Measles Module, signing the Vaccine Education Certificate, and turning it into their college. They can also talk to their healthcare provider and receive a signed Vaccine Education Certificate.

COLTON
So, what are the two of you attempting to accomplish by being here on Cracker Croakers today?

DR. ERICA CLOUD
We want the public to know the measles vaccine is effective at preventing the disease. We also want to make them aware once a person contracts the measles there is no specific treatment option available. Furthermore, no other vaccine-preventable disease causes more deaths than the measles. And, most victims who succumb to this ailment are less than five years old.

DR. LYNDA STEPHENS
Since the recent outbreak of measles in this part of the country appears to come from overseas travelers, we want to strongly suggest adult international travelers receive two doses of the measles vaccine prior to their departure. This simple act goes a long way in preventing them from contracting the disease. However, statistics indicate less than 50 percent of overseas travelers take advantage of this opportunity prior to their departure. More than 90 percent of these non-protected people will become ill if they are exposed to the measles while overseas.

COLTON
This is good advice that will spare children the unnecessary burdens of dealing with a disease that is avoidable, that they contract anyway, because their parents disagree with the vaccine for personal or philosophical reasons. That simply is not a good enough excuse to put your child through the stress, drama, and turmoil of the measles when it is preventable. I'd like to thank Dr. Lynda Stephens and Dr. Erica Cloud for being my guests this morning. Join us again tomorrow when we come to you from Logan, Utah.

FADE OUT






For those of you not familiar with Cracker Croakers, the show is formatted as a daily television Talk Show with Colton Wyatt the host. While the characters are fictional, the topics discussed are real life issues.

I've decided to promote this edition for four days to see what the response is. Normally, I promote them for two. There does not seem to be much difference in the number of reviews received for script and prose writers between the two. I attribute that to having to chase Funny Money to promote your writing.

If this show interests you, click on the blue numbers on the top of the page. This will enable you to read all previous editions.

Healers, by VMarguarite, selected to complement my script.

So, thanks VMarguarite, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my script.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.