Fantasy Fiction posted February 3, 2019 Chapters:  ...3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Meanwhile, in a different part of the country...

A chapter in the book Renaissance of Enchantment

Chapter Two, Part 1

by Y. M. Roger




Background
Here we meet a swath of new characters that will be important in our continuing story. This is not New York anymore...
Attorney Geoffrey Staltson stepped out of the hospital room and closed the door quietly behind him. A heavy sigh wracked his small frame before he pulled himself into professional mode. He tried to get his thoughts in order as he walked slowly toward the waiting room.
 
He really hated this part of friendship – the part where he was left to deal with the legal issues. And the family – such as they were in this case.
 
As if on cue, Demetrius’ eclipsing silhouette darkened the end of the corridor. At six-foot-five, it really was quite the silhouette. Geoffrey smiled inwardly. Rosemary had always said Demetrius was her favorite even though just being in the same room with the dark gentleman made Geoffrey feel… well, lacking. Not scared, necessarily, but like he didn’t quite measure up to the soft-spoken yet ominous and imposing man. When Demetrius was in a room, it was like he took the remaining air away from everyone else.
 
Kind of like right now as Geoffrey stopped in front of the towering man and raised his eyes to meet that haunting gaze.
 
“She’s not coming back from this one, Demetrius.” Geoffrey thought he saw pain before Demetrius’ vision shuttered once again, those deep onyx eyes emotionless against his smooth yet so well-defined facial features. “The stroke was far too massive.”
 
Demetrius reached out his oh-so-well-manicured hand and grasped Geoffrey’s shoulder.
 
“Thank you for taking care of the arrangements, my friend.”
 
Geoffrey nodded and swallowed his sob; someone had to handle things for everyone involved. After all, he was Rosemary’s lawyer.
 
And her friend.
 
Demetrius acknowledged him with a responding sigh and tighter squeeze before pulling himself to his full height. He ran his long graceful fingers along the side of his always-perfect coif and turned to walk out into the night air, his gorgeous body encased in that perfectly-fitted suit flowing like a huge jungle cat on the prowl. Just so gorgeous in so many ways…
 
The aging lawyer shook his thoughts back to the matter at hand. So sue him. He was old, not dead.
 
Geoffrey turned his body and full attention to the others in the waiting room; all four of them stood at once, but Peadar, hat in hand with green eyes wet, was the first to speak.
 
“Wha’ needs doin, Mr. Stal’son?”
 
Always so polite, that one, to a fault almost – Geoffrey often wondered if the short, stout, and yet quite muscular man was trying to pull one over on him because something about the man screamed ‘not so nice and polite’. And, yeah, Geoffrey could say “short” because Peadar, although quite a bit brawnier, was shorter than he was. Geoffrey also knew that his own small frame was below average in the height department. Fiercely loyal to Rosemary and more than a tad bit odd, Peadar was always the one who had helped her around the huge, multi-level mansion. He could fix just about anything – no exceptions having been discovered to date – which was a good thing since the boarding house building dated back to the early 1700’s.
 
A bit hairy for Geoffrey’s taste, Peadar’s red beard and untamable copper ringlets seem to continue over his hands and feet. He also had a straight-forward, no-holds-barred personality that the retired lawyer had always admired. No one ever had to wonder what Peadar thought of any given situation; yep, would give you the shirt off his back, but would be sure to give you no end of grief the whole time he was handing it over. At least his old, gnarled pipe was extinguished and in his front pocket tonight; it usually was hard at work producing a circle of smoke to frame Peadar’s aged face.
 
“I’ll call the Order and see if they will give her a proper ceremony.” Geoffrey sighed – he had no idea if the bitches would since Rosemary had basically told them all to go eat dirt all those years ago, “If not” -  he took a deep breath - “I’ll arrange something with Murchison’s for her.”
 
He paused and closed his eyes for a moment to help him focus. Opening his eyes again quickly, he cleared his throat to continue.
 
“Either way, Peadar, please make sure the place is ship-shape and have Miss Rosemary’s emerald ensemble, that was her favorite, all gathered and ready for the funeral” - another sigh within his words - “wherever it happens to be.”
 
Peadar nodded solemnly and choked back a sob.
 
“Twill be handled, Mr. Stal’son.”
 
Geoffrey turned to Koko. Even though the tall, young, and quite fit Native American had tear-streaks on his high cheekbones, he almost glowed with the same joy he seemed to radiate every time Geoffrey saw him. He reached down and across to take Geoffrey’s hands in his. The motion caused his long flowing black hair and small braids to fall forward to frame his wise and handsome face. It also jostled the hand-carved Anasazi flute Koko carried latched to his leather pants at all times.
 
His hands warmed Geoffrey, and the attorney somehow felt a calm pass through his grieving spirit as a result of the man’s contact. Oh, yeah. He was definitely tired.
 
“She is at one with Tuwa, honored one.” KoKo’s words washed over Geoffrey and, somehow, brought a smile to his lips. “We will celebrate her life with the rising of tomorrow’s sun.” Koko released Geoffrey’s hands and snaked one arm around the Amazon of a woman beside him, pulling her forcefully against him. “Faithful Lyca here will cook.”
 
The severe-looking brunette who wiped her crying eyes might be wearing faded jean-look leggings, a shredded tunic and lots of biker and Goth jewelry, but, in Geoffrey’s mind, she was and always would be an Amazon – scary ninja skills, cryptic tattoos, and all. Even his and Gary’s wife, Charlise, with her dominatrix aura paled in comparison to Lycaios.
 
A low, muffled growl rolled up from Lycaios that would have made the best police dog cower away.
 
“Not if you want any guests to survive,” Lycaios said, tone biting, as she bared her beautiful teeth; however, she did not pull away from Koko’s embrace, which was uncharacteristic for her. “I do not cook, Chief Pissin’ Sunshine.” She quickly swiped at her watery eyes and nose again.
 
“Cut yer shite, Lyca,” Peadar interjected, his emerald eyes dancing with a myriad of emotions. “Eetz jus’ a box mix, fer the gods’ sa—”
 
“I don’t know why any of you are worried,” the massive – there really was no other word that worked here – milk chocolate-skinned Kato whispered as he stood a step or two from the group; his arms were crossed defiantly over his broad chest.
 
Kato had always been a physical enigma with his enormous size and oddity of amber eyes, motley blonde hair, and dark complexion. And Geoffrey had often wondered where the man shopped; seriously, where did one find the clothes normally designed for a teenager to fit a man Kato’s size? Gap® for Adonis?
 
“No one will come to pay any respects because they have none to pay.”

to be continued veeery soon . . .

 



Recognized


Okay so this is part one - I posted in two parts because one post would have been 2500 words (and folks fuss over 1000 - lol!)...but this introduces you to our 'new characters'. You'll see where it connects with our Maggie up in New York with the part I will post tomorrow. I did tell you to hang on to your seat, didn't I?

Thank you so much for reading me and for your patience!


Rosemary - (deceased) Sister in some unknown Order; was the proprietor of the 'boarding house'
Geoffrey Staltson - Rosemary's lawyer and friend to the residents of her 'boarding house'
Demetrius - tall, mysterious male resident of the 'boarding house', does not seem to socialize with the others
Peadar - Irish male resident of the 'boarding house', helped Rosemary with upkeep
Lycaois - Goth, warrior-looking resident of the 'boarding house', only female resident we�???�??�?�¢??ve met so far
Koko - Native American male 'boarding house' resident, has unending optimism and warmth about him
Kato - large male resident who wears the clothes of a teenager
Charlise Staltson - Geoffrey's wife (they have a three-way 'marriage' -- Geoffrey, Gary, and Charlise)


Image of 'Emergency Department - Waiting Room' from Google images via Stanford Healthcare [stanfordhealthcare.org]
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.