Mystery and Crime Fiction posted February 2, 2019 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Tommy's narrow escape leads him to another harrowing event.

A chapter in the book Eyes on You

Nine Lives

by Mistydawn



Summary
Finding out his pregnant wife Jen needs a costly operation, Tommy turns to a life of crime
. They're in the middle of one of their jobs when the owners come home. Tommy is taken to the station for questioning then released. He's trying to rob a house on his own when a dog attacks him.

Tommy glides his car onto the highway; a horn blares behind him. Glancing in the rearview mirror he finds a diesel on his tail. "Oh, shit." Putting a death grip on the steering wheel, he punches the pedal to the floor. There's a deafening monotone sound behind him as the driver engages the brakes. Tommy peeks back and sees the truck is a distance away. Someone is watching out for me, he thinks as he slows the car a little. Tommy starts to relax when he spots something in the center of the road. Uncertain on what he's seeing, Tommy eases off the gas. Realizing it's a large pile-up. He quickly downshifts as he slams on his brakes. His car skids sideways; the back-end fishtails into another vehicle. The sudden impact causes Tommy's car to slide off the road.

Tommy finds the paramedics, fire department and police force on the scene when he regains consciousness. He nervously glances over at his backpack. I can't be caught with that. He tries to start the car, the engine clicks in response. Not now, he thinks. He jiggles the key and tries again. I knew I should've replaced it. He starts to turn the key for the third time when he realizes the steering wheel is bound. Moving it back and forth, he tries again. The car sputters. You're not pulling that crap on me. Tommy pushes on the gas, the car roars to life. That's much better. He starts to put it into gear when he hears someone tapping on his window. He glances over and finds an officer beside him. He peeks over at the backpack and realizes it's sealed tight. The officer knocks again. They have to have a reason to go through my stuff, besides, It'll look suspicious if I run now. He rolls down the window. "Can I help you, officer?"

"I want to make sure you're alright."

"I'm fine."

The officer notices the egg-shaped contusion on his head. "Why don't you let a paramedic check you out just to be sure?" He starts to open the door.

Tommy pulls it closed. "I... I have to get back to work before I get fired," he quickly explains.

"I'm sure your boss will understand."

"You don't know my boss." He nervously laughs.

"It'll only take a second." He starts to signal for a First Responder but soon realizes they're all busy. "I'll tell you what, if you answer a few questions correctly, I'll let you go, alright?" He pulls a piece of paper from his pocket.

Tommy grabs it from his hand. "The day is Friday, it's 2019, and the president is Trump. Now can I go?" He holds the paper out his window. Taking the card, the officer steps away. "Thank you."

***

Pulling up to the crime scene, Rachel glances around. She first notices the vast amount of police cars lined up around the house. She spots animal control dragging two large, mangy dogs through the overgrown yard. The canines are snapping viciously at their restraints as the officers do their best to contain them. Rachel then notices the Medical Examiner walk across the porch, shaking her head. "That can't be a good sign, Jerry." She points towards Sharron.

"Probably not. I'll talk to the officers, find out what's going on." Jerry heads across the yard.

Seeing the sergeant in the driveway, Sharon walks out to greet her. "Talk about perfect timing."

"What did you find?"

"The victims are Mr. and Mrs. Harris and their grandson, John. All three were shot at close range early this morning."

"What sort of time frame are we looking at?"

"According to rigor and body temperature, I'd estimate the time of death between four and seven. I can narrow it down further once I get them to the lab."

"Thank you, Sharon." Rachel is heading towards the house when Jeff approaches her.

"I believe this is a drug sale gone bad since the only thing that seems to be missing is the cocaine that was kept in the safe."

"Mr. and Mrs. Harris are drug users?" Rachel questions, picturing the sweet elderly couple in her mind.

"Not them, their grandson, John."

Rachel nods, "That makes more sense."

"I found a set of prints on the safe, I'm running them through the system."

"Keep looking, see what else you can find and let me know if you get a hit on the prints."

"Copy that."

"You've got to see this, sergeant, " Kirk yells. Rachel walks to the center of the yard where he's standing. "The dogs must've gotten a hold of the intruder."

Taking a glove from her pocket, she bends down and picks up a small shred of tan material. "This came from some type of uniform."

"A delivery man maybe?"

"Or someone pretending to be. I want you to check the hospitals for anyone who was recently treated for a dog bite and have forensics analyze this." She hands the material over.

"I'm on it, sergeant."

Kirk walks over to her. "Sergeant, I got a hit on the fingerprints it belongs to John Harris, the homeowner's grandson.

"The intruder grabs everything in the safe, walks into the Harris' bedroom to kill them. John tries to stop him and he gets shot too."

"That's a plausible theory, sergeant, only the man on the floor isn't their grandson, his name is Charles Montgomery. He's known to have ties with Hernandez, a drug lord for the Mexican cartel."

"I'm very familiar with Hernandez and his crew." Too damn familiar. She's been trying to take them down since she first started on the force. A childhood vendetta she's yet to accomplish. "Did you find the grandson?"

"He and his car are gone."

"Was he even home when this occurred?"

"His bed looks slept in."

"So, John shoots the perp, takes what was in the safe and leaves?"

"Maybe he wanted to get rid of the drugs and whatever else was in the safe."

"I want an APB out on him and his car. Start interviewing the neighbors, see what they can tell you."

"Yes, sergeant."

***

Tommy didn't want to do business with his old boss after all he had to go through to get out of his crime ring, but he's the only one Tommy can think of that would be interested in that much coke. The drugs should easily pay for Jen's operation and her aftercare. Now I have to figure out a way to make the money seem legit. Maybe I'll ask Hernandez, see what he suggests. 

Pulling up to a rundown bar, he circles around to the back. The establishment is one of many Hernandez uses to clean up dirty money. He spots his old boss's vehicle parked in the far corner.  Relieved, he jumps out of his car. I'll go in, say hi to my pal's,  talk to Hernandez and leave, he thinks as he nervously makes his way across the parking lot. He's halfway to the door when a gorilla looking goon runs out to greet him.

The man stops in front of him and crosses his arms. "You need to leave," he orders in a deep gritty tone.

"I have something that Hernandez will be very interested in." Tommy taps his bag.

"He ain't here, and I'm not sure when he'll be back."

"Bullshit." He pushes the man out of the way. Tommy manages to take a couple more steps before two larger dudes storm out the door. Scooping him up, they escort him to his car.

"I advise you to leave before things get ugly." He shoves Tommy against the vehicle. "Understand?" He pushes him again.

"Look, man, I don't want any trouble."

"Then you better leave."

"I need to talk to your boss; it'll only take a second."

"About what?"

"I have something that might interest him, found it in a safe." He opens the backpack and shows him the drugs. I'm willing to sell it dirt cheap."

"How do I know that this isn't a setup?" The man anxiously glances around.

"I wouldn't do that to my old boss."

Wrapping his fingers around his neck, the man shoves him against the car again. "I know all his little falcons and you ain't one of them."

"I... I use to work for him a while back." Noticing the skeptical look, He continues. "Just tell him Tommy Campbell is asking for him."

The man quickly sizes him up. "So, you're the one he always talks about, huh?"

The man's glare and his tone make Tommy very nervous. "I.. I guess."

"We have orders to take you out." Grabbing his gun from his waistband, he presses it against Tommy's head.
 

Characters
Tommy main conspirator to the crime
Vinnie, Larry Tommy's friends
Jen, Tommy's wife

Salois Brothers Andy, Jeremy, Jack career criminals.
Berryville PD

Kirk- detective.
Rachel sergeant
Joe captain
Jerry detective



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.