Commentary and Philosophy Script posted February 1, 2019 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
FanStory's only Talk Show - #27: National Freedom Day

A chapter in the book Cracker Croakers (A Talk Show)

Cracker Croakers

by Brett Matthew West

"National Freedom Day"

FADE IN

Colton Wyatt is confidently seated at the round table in the KVCC studio as the lights come up. Candice Bergeron is conspicuously absent. Puzzled audience members murmur about her disappearance. They quiet as the camera rolls.

COLTON
Welcome to Cracker Croakers for Friday, February 1, 2019. I'm your host Colton Wyatt. Candice Bergeron is on an extended leave of absence. After yesterday's shoddy performance who can blame her? However, we all know that the show must go on. Will she return? Time will tell. In the meanwhile, I have a question for our audience members. Can you there in the plaid shirt on the front row tell me the significance of the number thirteen and how it relates to this special holiday today?

UNIDENTIFIED AUDIENCE MEMBER (In a slow, "aw shucks" tone)
Well, no sir, I reckon I can't. I just moseyed in here to check things out and see what was going on.

COLTON
You did know today's a holiday, didn't you?

AUDIENCE MEMBER
Nope, I did not. Guess I forgot.

COLTON
Well, I'll inform you then. The original idea of Richard Robert Wright, Senior, February 1st is recognized as National Freedom Day and holds a place of noteworthiness in the annals of the United States. Let's talk to the lady in the end chair of the third row. What's your name and where are you from?

(She stands up)

GISELE ELDORADO (in thick Spanish accent)
Se senor, I'm from Mexico.

COLTON
Glad to know we have an international audience. Are you aware of who Richard Wright was and can you tell me anything about him?

GISELE ELDORADO (sheepishly and blushing)
No senor. I know nothing about America.

COLTON (half-grins)
One of the best parts of Cracker Croakers is I get to ask audience members questions to find out what they know about the topics we discuss. Richard Wright was a college founder and president, a politician, a military officer, and a civil rights advocate. Wright was also a bank entrepreneur as well as the founder of the National Freedom Day Association. Moreover, he was born a slave in Dalton, Georgia. He attended the Storrs School for the children of Freedmen. His claim to fame during that time was allegedly to have told Union General Oliver Otis Howard to deliver the message of "we are rising" to the North. The Fireside Poet John Greenleaf Whittier penned a well known poem inspired by that quote.

(A hand goes up on the opposite side of the room. Colton notices the gesture)

COLTON
Stand up sir, tell me your name and where you're from.

JOSHUA BRYANT (well spoken)
Colton, my name is Joshua Bryant and I'm from Hastings, Nebraska. I really like Cracker Croakers. It is my new favorite show. Thanks for allowing me to converse with you. Richard Wright became the valedictorian of Atlanta University's first commencement ceremony. And, later on, President William McKinley appointed him Paymaster of the United States Volunteers. This made Wright the first Black Paymaster in the Army. Wright was also the highest ranking Black officer in the Spanish-American War.

COLTON
Well, Josh. You seem to be up on Richard Wright.

JOSHUA BRYANT
I'm a graduate student at the University of Nebraska pursuing my degree in Political Science.

COLTON (Invitingly)
Come on up here and join me at the round table, Josh.

(Joshua Bryant seats himself across from Colton.)

COLTON
Now, back to our show. Richard Wright went on to become the first president of the Georgia State Industrial College for Colored Youth in Savannah, Georgia and developed into one of the leading figures of Black higher education in the United States. In 1921, while residing in Philadelphia, Wright created the Philadelphia Citizens and Southern Bank and Trust Company. This was the first Black bank company. He also founded the Negros Banking Association, which was the first African-American banking association.

(Colton slides Joshua Bryant cue cards. He picks them up.)

JOSHUA BRYANT
As a civil rights leader, Wright was instrumental in the creation of President Harry Truman's Committee on Civil Rights that led to the Civil Rights Section of the Justice Department and the desegregation of the Executive Branch of the federal government.

COLTON
As well as the desegregation of the military. Richard Wright, Senior invited national and local leaders to meet in Philadelphia to establish plans to make February 1 the day for memorializing the signing of the 13th Amendment by President Abraham Lincoln on February 1, 1865.

JOSHUA BRYANT
Thereafter, Congress passed legislation establishing February 1 as National Freedom Day and President Harry Truman signed the proclamation into law on June 30, 1948.

COLTON
National Freedom Day became a forerunner of Black History Day and Black History Month which strives to recognize the accomplishments of Blacks in every area of endeavor throughout American history.

(Colton glances at Joshua Bryant)

COLTON
Maybe we have a replacement for Candice should she decide not to return to the show?

(He shakes Joshua Bryant's hand. A big smile crosses the guest's face.)

COLTON
Give it up for Joshua Bryant!

(A round of applause erupts as Joshua Bryant departs the round table)

COLTON
Now that you know the story behind National Freedom Day go out there and celebrate the occasion like all holidays should be celebrated! Then, join me again Monday for another edition of Cracker Croakers. (Colton pauses then adds) You know, I kind of like winging the show. It gives it a more down homey feel for me. What do you all think?

(A round of applause comes from the audience)

FADE OUT







Words by Ms. Keller, by SCHATZLING, selected to complement my script.

So, thanks SCHATZLING, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my script.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.