Commentary and Philosophy Script posted January 30, 2019 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 26... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
FanStory's only Talk Show #25 - Pro Military Transgenders

A chapter in the book Cracker Croakers (A Talk Show)

Cracker Croakers

by Brett Matthew West

"Pro Military Transgenders"

FADE IN

Candice Bergeron and Colton Wyatt are seated around the round table in the KVCC studio as the lights come up. A GI Joe action figure and a rainbow flag are on the table in front of them. The audience quiets as the camera rolls.

CANDICE
Welcome to Cracker Croakers for Wednesday, January 30, 2019. I'm Candice Bergeron, your hostess with the mostest.

COLTON
And, I'm your other host Colton Wyatt.

CANDICE
At the end of yesterday's show, an audience member asked Colton and I if we could expand on the topic of transgenders openly serving in the military. We agreed this controversial theme needed more attention. Also, be on the lookout for new changes coming soon to Cracker Croakers in an effort to provide an even better product to our loyal audience. If you have recommendations on possible improvements to the show, Colton and I are all ears and willing to hear what you offer. Now, on to today's edition. Colton, yesterday you made the astute observation is it the military's main purpose to defend America or to help transgenders reach their self-actualization? Our first viewpoint for today comes from a Pentagon spokesperson who stated the military treats all transgender members with respect and dignity.

COLTON
As they should be treated.

CANDICE This Pentagon spokesperson also said it is critical that the Department of Defense be allowed to implement personnel policies that are determined necessary to ensure the most lethal and combat effective fighting force in the world is the American military.

COLTON
The question is do transgender military members lessen that effectiveness?

CANDICE (gives Colton a quizzical look)
That is a real good question, Colton. Let's consider what our next source, the American Military Partner Association offers about the value of transgenders serving in the military.

COLTON
Oh yes, our "friends" from the largest LGBTQ organization of military families in the United States. I wonder what they have to chime into this discussion?

CANDICE
Their position remains being hopeful justice will ultimately prevail over what they term blatant bigotry and discrimination when the courts hear the full arguments of their case.

COLTON
Shannon Minster is the Legal Director of the Boston-base LGBTQ Legal Advocates and Defenders organization who primarily services LGBTQ and HIV+ people in New England.

CANDICE
She called the policy barring transgenders from serving or enlisting unless they serve in their biological sex, and do not seek to undergo gender transitions, a slap in the face to transgenders who place their lives on the line every day in defense of the United States.

COLTON
And, what is wrong with transgenders serving in their biological sex, or not allowing them to undergo gender transitions while in the military?

CANDICE (gives Colton a quick, quizzical, glance)
Previously, the top leaders of the Navy and the Marine Corps told the Senate Armed Services Committee they have experienced little morale, discipline, or unit readiness problems with transgender troops.

COLTON
Another Pentagon spokesperson vowed the military will, at least for now, continue to retain transgenders in compliance with federal court rulings. He also confirmed no transgenders have yet been forced out of the military, and will not be, pending final resolution of ongoing legal actions.

CANDICE
An article in the Spart*A advocacy group's publication reflects the feelings of transgenders in the military who claim they will lace their boots in service of the nation. This organization of current LGBTQ service members and LGBTQ veterans, feels it would be incredibly unfortunate if transgenders are forced from the military and treated differently than other Americans.

COLTON
Matt Thorn, the head of the OutServe-SLDN organization, remarked the removal of transgender military members would hamper the United States' ability to build the world's most lethal military. He further stated barring transgenders from openly serving would undermine America's readiness and lethality. I pose the question of would it?

CANDICE
Doctor Arthur Evans, Junior, the Chief Executive Officer of the American Psychological Association believes the policy of barring transgenders from openly serving in the military is nothing more than a misuse of psychological science to stigmatize transgenders and justify limiting their ability to serve in uniform.

COLTON
His keynote appears to be the military should cover the vast expenses associated with transgenders transitioning to the opposite sex. One of the biggest issues of transgenders serving in the military is the free cost to them of changing their gender. On the civilian market that can easily exceed more than 100,000 dollars. That alone is one of the main reasons I oppose transgenders serving.

CANDICE (Stunned by Colton's revelation)
Tomorrow we will examine the other side of this controversy.

COLTON
When we do we will explore those who oppose transgenders serving in the military and their supportive reasons for doing so.

CANDICE
That about wraps us up for this edition of Cracker Croakers.

COLTON
In that case smarty-pants, I suppose we better say adieu. She's Candice!

CANDICE
And, he's Colton!

CANDICE AND COLTON
And, we invite you to join us again tomorrow for another entertaining edition of Cracker Croakers (Featuring Candice and Colton).

FADE OUT

CANDICE (off camera)
You surprised me, Colton. I didn't know you felt that strongly about transgenders being allowed to openly serve in the military.

Colton does not respond











Taking Time Out, by jgrace, selected to complement my script.

So, thanks jgrace, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my script.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.