General Poetry posted January 29, 2019 Chapters:  ...468 469 -470- 471... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Diamante

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Change the Mood

by Treischel


Sad
melancholy blue
moaning, weeping, crying
dejected, depressed: joyous, ecstatic
smiling, dancing, singing
cheerfully gladly
Happy





A mood can be changed with a smile from a stranger, a hug from a child, the antics of a pet, lovely music, or flowers. This image is my wife, Karen. Her joy in a field of flowers, made me smile. Give or find joy.
This poem is a Diamante. A Diamante is a seven-lined contrast poem set up in a diamond shape. A Diamante "pronounced dee-uh-MAHN-tay" is an unrhymed seven-line poem. The beginning and ending lines are the shortest, while the lines in the middle are longer, giving diamante poems a diamond shape. "Diamante" is the Italian word for diamond, so this poetic form is named for this diamond shape.
Believe it or not, the diamante was invented several years ago. It was created by an American poet named Iris McClellan Tiedt in 1969, and has become very popular in schools.
The first line begins with a noun/subject, and second line contains two adjectives that describe the beginning noun. The third line contains three words ending in -ing relating to the noun/subject. The forth line contains two words that describe the noun/subject and two that describe the closing synonym/antonym. If using an antonym for the ending, this is where the shift should occur. In the fifth line are three more -ing words describing the ending antonym/synonym, and the sixth are two more adjectives describing the ending antonym/synonym. The last line ends with the first noun's antonym or synonym.
To make it a bit simpler, here is a diagram.
Line 1: Noun or subject
Line 2: Two Adjectives describing the first noun/subject
Line 3: Three -ing words describing the first noun/subject
Line 4: Four words: two about the first noun/subject, two about the antonym/synonym
Line 5: Three -ing words about the antonym/synonym
Line 6: Two adjectives describing the antonym/synonym
Line 7: Antonym/synonym for the subject

This photograph was taken by the author himself in June, 2017

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.