General Non-Fiction posted January 26, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
How JFK changed my life

Ask Not

by RodG


"Ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country," said our new president, John F. Kennedy, at his inaugural address January 20, 1961.

I heard his speech in the Student Union at the University of Nevada and cheered with hundreds of my classmates when he took the oath of office. A callow second semester freshman not yet old enough to vote, I watched the man who'd stirred my emotions throughout his campaign and debates with Nixon. Usually he smiled, but today he was serious while speaking directly . . . to me.

His words, though spoken with an Eastern accent, were eloquent. I, who'd never been east of Elko, listened attentively. A WWII hero, young, handsome, and rich, was talking about the importance of civic action and public service. Would I choose such a career for myself? Did I have the guts to defy my father?

I'd long wanted a lot of things: to be a teacher, to attend Stanford or Cal, to at least live away from home in a dorm on campus.

"Why go out of state?" my father asked. "We've got a perfectly good university right here in Reno and you can live at home. It's a short commute. And teach? There's no money in that. You'll major in business, as should my son."

He'd grown up in Europe, had a doctorate in economics, and owned a store a block from Reno's famous casinos. Not a night went by at the dinner table that he didn't reiterate his dream: "We'll be partners, Son!"

Because I hated the business courses I'd been forced to take, I was a lackadaisical student. After JFK's speech, I silently rebelled.and secretly registered for my first education course. The next year and a half I took several more my father never knew about.

In 1963 two events turned my world upside down. On May 10th, during a snow storm, I drove my car off a cliff in the high Sierras. The car was totaled; I was badly injured. When I returned to school in the fall, I declared my new major: Secondary Education. My father bristled, but I was now twenty-one.

Then in late November, Lee Harvey Oswald assassinated my hero. Though devastated, I fully committed to JFK's request. Two months later I began to student teach.

In early June, 1964, I graduated and accepted my first contract. My teaching career began that September. By Christmas, my father began introducing me proudly as "my son the teacher."

Public service is not a career for everyone, but it suited me perfectly for forty years. I loved the classroom where I excelled at teaching writing. I cherished my students and my colleagues. I especially enjoyed living in the community in which I taught and being appreciated for my efforts. And Kennedy's legacy has been passed on. My daughter is a wonderful teacher.

Many thanks, Mr. President, for your sage advice and encouragement.



Write about an inspirational quote writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Do you have a quote sitting on your desk at home or at work that has great meaning to you? How about on your wall or in a journal? Write about one quote that has made a difference in your life and tell us about that (250-500 words).


Art work is courtesy of Google images.

WORD COUNT: 493 Apple Pages
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. RodG All rights reserved.
RodG has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.