Mystery and Crime Fiction posted January 26, 2019 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The robbery doesn't turn out the way Tommy hopes.

A chapter in the book Eyes on You

Failed plans

by Mistydawn


"Summary
Finding out his pregnant wife Jen needs a costly operation, Tommy turns to a life of crime
. They're in the middle of one of their jobs when the owners come home. Tommy is taken to the station for questioning then released. He's trying to rob a house on his own when a dog attacks him.

The three detectives see a distraught couple talking to an officer on the front lawn when they pull up to the house.

"Another two-story Victorian just like I suspected," Kirk says, as he climbs out of the car.

"What are you talking about Kirk?" the sergeant questions.

"The robber only seems to hit two-story Victorians in the older, more established neighborhoods and all his victims come from old money."

Rachel replays the crime scenes in her mind. "You're right, Kirk."

"What I can't figure out is why our robber chooses this particular subset?"

"Whoever is doing this could've been born into money, something caused him to lose his inheritance, and now he's getting revenge."

"That's a good possibility. Jerry, I want you to see what our forensics team has to say. Kirk, start talking to the neighbors, see what they can tell you. I'll talk to the couple."

Rachel sees the officers scribbling down some notes when she walks up to the porch.

"Sergeant, this is Mr. and Mrs. Lawson. They're the owners of the house." He hands her his notes.

Rachel scans them. "You left at six thirty for your nightly run?"

"Yes and when we returned, the house was unlocked and the alarm disabled."

"Do you run every evening?"

"Yes, well, almost every evening. We go to the gym if the weather is bad."

"Do you leave around six thirty every night?"

"Yes, why?"

"The consistent routine makes you an easy target."

"I always make sure the doors are locked and the alarm is set before we leave."

"Who else has the key to your home?"

"No one."

"Do you keep a spare somewhere?"

"No, of course not, why are you putting the blame on us?"

"I'm not, Mr. Lawson; I'm just trying to figure out how the robber is pulling it off."

"I assure you, detective, we don't give out the code or a spare key to anyone."

"Not even a family member?"

Clenching his fits down by his side he firmly states: "Our family wouldn't rob us." 

"I'm not suggesting they would, but perhaps these items ended up in the wrong hands."

"My wife and I are the only ones who know the code and have a key."

"Do you have domestic help, a housekeeper, nanny, or dog walker?"

"My wife is quite capable of handling the household chores on her own, right, honey?" He throws his arm around her shoulders and pulls her in close.

"Of course, dear," she timidly replies.

"So, take me through your nightly routine."

"I don't see how this will help you catch the robber."

"If we can find a pattern between you and the others, we can narrow down the suspects."

He glances at his watch. "Alright, but it's going to have to be quick, I have an important business meeting in less than an hour."

Rachel takes a notebook from her pocket. "You get back from your run and then?"

"I take a shower while Barbra makes my supper. I eat and then I go to the study to finish up the day's business. I'm there until eight, and then I go to bed."

"Where do you work?"

"Lawson Cororation of course."

"What do you do Mrs. Lawson?"

"I take care of our home." She fearfully glances towards her husband, he nods.

"I need you to make a list of everywhere you go, where you shop, the gym, spas anywhere you frequently visit."

"I can tell you exactly where my wife goes, detective."

She's probably too scared to go anywhere but where you tell her, Rachel thinks, as she watches the fearful woman beside him.

"She goes to the grocery store on Monday, the dry cleaners on Wednesday and Friday afternoons she has a hair appointment."

"Have you done anything different within the past couple of weeks, Mrs. Lawson?"

"I..."

Her husband interrupts. "She always sticks to the same routine, don't you honey?" He squeezes her shoulders again.

She winces from the pain. "Of course, dear."

"We need the names of the business and the times you visit."

"Why is all of this necessary?"

"As I told you before, we're trying to find a connection between you and the other victims."

"I'll give you what you need, but I believe it's all a big waste of time."

Hearing the raised voice, Jerry steps up beside her. "We appreciate your cooperation, sir."

"You obviously need all the help you can get," he says as he scans the crew. Turning towards his wife, he continues. "Go make my supper while I finish up here. And Barb, lay off the carbohydrates, your ass is getting big. He smacks her on the behind.

"You're a lot flabbier than she is," Rachel mumbles under her breath. Jerry snickers.

"Did you say something, detective?"

"I was just thinking out loud." Barbra tries to stifle a grin as she walks to the house.

"Efficiency is the key to success, detective. I wouldn't have gotten where I am today if it wasn't for my efficiency and time management skills." He glances at Rachel's appearance. "It looks like you could use a course in time management, detective."

"It's sergeant, and I manage my life just fine, thank you."

"I'm sure you think so, but many are fooled by one's own delusions. Here's the list you wanted."

"Thank you for your cooperation," she replies stiffly. Snatching the paper out of his hand, she storms towards her car.

"She needs a strong man to put her in her place. " Turning, he walks into his house.

 Jerry recalls how she's taken down perps twice her size. It's more like she'd put you in your place. He chuckles. "What do you think, Rachel?" Jerry asks, running to catch up.

"I think he's a controlling asshole who probably beats his wife on a regular basis."

"I'll run his name; see what I can find."

"Kirk and I will interview the other victims see if any of them visit these businesses.

***

The dog continues to tear at Tommy's clothes as he struggles to get away; images of his and Jen's life flash through his mind. He pictures their candlelight dinners, their long strolls on the beach, making love under the starry skies. Tommy remembers how excited he was when he found out Jen was pregnant; the devastation he felt when he was told about her grave condition. He then recalls the countless ways he tried to collect money for her aftercare. How his failed efforts forced him down a path he didn't want to take. He then imagines Jen scowling at him when he tells her what he's done; his frail attempt at redemption that follows. "I didn't want to do it, baby, I really didn't, but what other choice did I have?" He then pictures Jen wasting away in her bed. I have to save her, I just have to.

He searches the tall grass for a weapon. Finding a shovel a few feet away, he crawls towards it. The beast's hot breath brushes against his skin as he slithers across the yard. I'm almost there. The dog's teeth pierce his back as he reaches for the tool. Clenching his teeth, he grabs a hold of the handle and swings it over his head; the object vibrates on contact. Feeling the dog let go, Tommy scrambles up the stairs. He's pulling the screen door to as the dog lunges for him. The canine slams against the door and then falls to the ground. That was close. He notices the weathered screen sag when the beast plunges into it again. The barrier isn't going to hold him for long. He runs to the window and tries to open it, but it wouldn't budge. "Come on, come on." He looks back to see the dog tearing a hole in the screen. He pushes on the window it moves a little and stops. Glancing over, Tommy sees the dog's top half is on the porch. You're not attacking me again. With one hard shove, the window flies open. He's partially inside when he feels the dog clamp down on his extremity. Kicking the dog with his foot, he pulls himself through and then closes the window behind him. The beast's face smacks against the glass. "You can't get me now, you stupid mutt." The dog continues to growl as his teeth clinks against the glass.

Tommy turns around to see worthless junk scattered everywhere. "I went through all of that for this? Glad the last house was lucrative." Tommy is walking around the room, hoping to find something of value when he notices an old staircase in the corner. Maybe I'll find jewelry or a safe. He bolts up the stairs.

Stepping inside the first bedroom, he starts looking around. Seeing a jewelry box on the dresser he runs towards it. Freezing in mid-step, Tommy screams.

Characters
Tommy main conspirator to the crime
Vinnie, Larry Tommy's friends
Jen, Tommy's wife

Salois Brothers Andy, Jeremy, Jack career criminals.
 

Berryville PD

Kirk- detective.
Rachel sergeant
Joe captain
Jerry detective



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.