Spiritual Poetry posted January 22, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sacrifice and Immortality: celebrating Chinese Moon Festival

Between Two Worlds

by LisaMay


We stroll with others

along pretty pebbled paths.

We’re eating cakes and laughing

in friendly familiarity. Secure.

These are pleasures lit by sunlight,

by lamp light and starlight.


Later, in this shadowed vale

secrets hinted at lie hidden,

to my open heart unrevealed.

You turn your face towards me 

with a pure, sincere intent –

but no matter how you beam

there’s a dark side to your brightness.

The cake crumbs now are stale.


Moonlight comes dreaming,

cut to ribbons of lonely longing,

slanting through a bamboo blind.

Beloved, you are lost to me

in the hollow space between

grim grief and gratitude.

Sacrifice and immortality –

each exacts a particular price.

Shine on, my beauty, shine on.

Your distance holds me close.




Spiritual writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a poem of any type that is spiritual in nature


This poem is seen through the eyes of a mortal hero, Hou Yi, as he bemoans the loss of his beloved wife, who became the immortal Moon Goddess, Chang'e.

It is a poetic exploration of a spiritual aspect in a different culture to my own.

The Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival (also known as Moon Festival), is one of the largest festivals in Mainland China and East Asia. This festival began as a celebration of the moon and has a tradition of deity, but it is also a time to reconnect with family members. Many traditions of the Mid-Autumn festival are centered around family reunion and happiness. Offerings are made to the lunar deity, Chang'e, known as the Moon Goddess of Immortality.

The following is a summary of the background myth:

In the ancient past, there was a hero named Hou Yi who was excellent at archery. His wife was Chang'e. One year, the ten suns rose in the sky together, causing great disaster when the extreme heat killed the crops. Yi shot down nine of the suns and left only one to provide light.

For saving mankind, the Queen of Heaven rewarded Hou Yi and sent him the elixir of immortality. Yi did not want to leave his wife and be immortal without her, so he gave the elixir to Chang'e for safe-keeping, but one day, when she was attacked in her home by someone wanting to steal it, she drank the elixir.

This caused her to become immortal and fly up into the sky. Since she loved her husband very much and wanted to be near him, she chose the moon for her residence. When Yi came back and learned what had happened, he felt so sad that he displayed the fruits and cakes Chang'e liked in the yard and gave sacrifices to his wife.

People honor Chang'e, the Moon Goddess of Immortality, with moon cakes and offerings of food for good fortune. Moon cakes are often given to family members as gifts as a show of honor and respect during reunions at this festival.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.